Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad did your IV spot hurt?

Mine feels like my wrist is broken and it's warm to the touch.

I have the WORST time with IVs -- had one in the back of my hand the first day that hurt every time I moved or when they injected anything into the IV. It quit on me after less than a day, so I had to get another one on day 2.

Do you still have the IV? Can't tell from your stats. When my arm swelled up at the first IV site, they had me put warm compresses on it after the IV was out and that helped a lot.

Sorry for your discomfort.

No, I'm on my way home now. I asked them not to put it in my wrist because that's a horrible spot for me.

I've had to spend weeks in the hospital in the past and I always struggle with the IV, you can ask them to move it to a new spot because that one is giving you issues.

Nooooooooooooo tell them to move it. If it is not comfortable there is a reason for that..They can blow a vein leaving it there.

For Pete's sake what kind of professionals work in the medical field. Never let them put it in your wrist.....ouch! Forearm that's it! :)

Nooooooooooooo tell them to move it. If it is not comfortable there is a reason for that..They can blow a vein leaving it there.

For Pete's sake what kind of professionals work in the medical field. Never let them put it in your wrist.....ouch! Forearm that's it! :)

I'm home now. When I had my last baby, they attempted to put it there also but it didn't work. It's swollen now. My surgery was in Mexico.

Nurse here. We often use wrist because it's a large reliable vein, but if swollen or painful or hot to touch it's infiltrated and needs to be removed!

If it's swollen and hot to the touch and you are home, there may be an infection at the IV site. It's called thrombophlebitis. You'll need a course of antibiotics. I had the same thing and I still have a knot in the vein. It takes a while for the infection to go away even while on antibiotics and the knot can remain for a couple of months my doc said. Check with your doc again, because if left untreated it will get worse.

If it's swollen and hot to the touch and you are home, there may be an infection at the IV site. It's called thrombophlebitis. You'll need a course of antibiotics. I had the same thing and I still have a knot in the vein. It takes a while for the infection to go away even while on antibiotics and the knot can remain for a couple of months my doc said. Check with your doc again, because if left untreated it will get worse.

I did just that. Antibiotics and, just today, it's feeling better. Still a knot where the IV was but good to know it will go away.

I had a mainline IV ( inside bicep) and didn't have any issues. Talk with your medical team about your concerns.

I did just that. Antibiotics and, just today, it's feeling better. Still a knot where the IV was but good to know it will go away.

I am glad to read that you got it taken care of!!

I've had IVs twice in left hand. The first time I was six. It got really puffy and swollen and they had to move it to my right hand. The second time was this past May during my sleeve surgery. It didn't get puffy or swollen this time, but man my hand sure was sore after they removed it from me. Sore for days. And it hurt coming out. I had a foley catheter and that didn't bother me when they removed it, but the IV... man those things can suck it.