Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve safe long term?

The question is: Can you maintain the loss without the sleeve? For me, I couldn't lose weight period. I got under 200 using hypnosis, but even with weight watchers I struggled to get to 200 and my weight crept up again quickly. I had a raging hunger that I could not control. Over three years out and more than two years at goal and I have no regrets.

Lynda

Thx for responding Linda

Actually I don't even think I could maintain it let alone even lose the 87 to get to goal. I guess I'm just nervous and scared about the surgery, pain, and post recovery. I was considering the lap band to but too many complications long term.. I ordered the "big" book and I will study it like my bible.. And then at least I can make an informed decision. But glad to hear that you don't regret it and would've done it over again.. Good to know

~ Debbie

Two years ago, I was two weeks away from getting sleeved. I let my fear and doubt get the best of me and I backed out. Thought I'd give it one more try. Guess what, I failed again! Last October, I finally got sleeved. This time I was sure - I wasn't nervous or fearful. I had faith in my surgeon and my decision. Best decision ever! I only had 54 lbs to lose and I've lost 53. 1 lb to go! I'm still losing and will probably pass goal. It's a lot of work and dedication, but totally worth it.

Thanks for your input.. Not gonna let fear control me..!!!!

The more I think about it and read up and learn everything there is about the sleeve I want it. I'm going to go into the options class and all the tests and MD/NUT appts with a positive go for it attitude.. I really want to be thin, comfortable and healthy. I don't want to limit myself socially anymore.. I'm super excited about the future and what it holds for me.. 2 ms is the class and possibly early next year the surgery!! Yay

~ Debbie

Thanks for your input.. Not gonna let fear control me..!!!!<br> The more I think about it and read up and learn everything there is about the sleeve I want it. I'm going to go into the options class and all the tests and MD/NUT appts with a positive go for it attitude.. I really want to be thin, comfortable and healthy. I don't want to limit myself socially anymore.. I'm super excited about the future and what it holds for me.. 2 ms is the class and possibly early next year the surgery!! Yay<br> ~ Debbie

Good luck to you. We'll all be here for you if you have any questions or concerns.

Aww sweet.. Always good to know there are people like you here willing to offer help.. I am certain to have many questions over the next several months and even post op.. I truly appreciate you!!

I'm going for the Sleeve in November but I'm thinking is it safe long term? Can you live to a ripe old age with more than half your tummy gone???

My question for you would be, if you do not have the sleeve, are diabetes, HBP, joint replacements, asthma, heart problems, (get my drift) safe long term? My husband and I are 68 and now we have all these co-morbidities. We went to seminars so many years ago and were so afraid of surgery. It took our health failing terribly to get us sleeved. Good luck and hope you live to be a very ripe old age!!!!!

I am a bit confused about the sleeve being safe in the long run or not. I hear that the sleeve has been used for other procedures aside from weight loss but then I read something from an established research institution saying there is no long-term (more than 5 years) available on the sleeve (I linked an example at the bottom). Can anyone explain these inconsistancies?

http://fitprogram.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=43

Yes.

The sleeve *as a weight loss procedure* was not approved until around 2011 for "widespread" use. So studies 5 years out *for weight loss* aren't there, there really isn't enough people until probably now to start any checking.

The sleeve in terms of stomach cancer, gastroparesis possibly, first part of a DS, has been around and has been studied. The biggest suggestions that a VSG would be ok was as using it as the first part of a DS.

Thanks everyone I appreciate you all being so sweet , caring and understanding,, I rubbed some people the wrong way with some questions already but ... Well I had a thought..

Why are lots of peoples Tummy's so Sensitive post op? I understand you just had surgery .. I hear some people say they can't "tolerate " things like salad and eggs and chicken months out so they done eat it..Isn't the surgery supposed to make your tummy SMALLER but NOT DIFFERENT?? Just asking and please don't bash me I am only curious I'm not being negative! Im most likely having the sleeve done and it was confusing how some people are do sensitive now! Any answers are greatly appreciated !

I am just 3 months post op. I had my surgery 4/14 and salad is now one of my favorite meals (with a Protein of course) I have been eating salad since just before 2 months post op. I think the difference with me is not what I can tolerate, it's what even tastes good to me now. I used to love breads and cakes. Anything that texture just tastes horrible to me now. As well as Diet Coke, I was a huge Diet Coke drinker. Now when I try it (because I still crave it) it tastes nasty sweet. It is amazing the difference in the taste buds. I still crave things mentally until I try them.

I'm going for the Sleeve in November but I'm thinking is it safe long term? Can you live to a ripe old age with more than half your tummy gone???

Please check out this post on a scientific study of 4888 patients and leak complication rate:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/314316-sleeve-leak-risk-study-on-4888-patients/

Surg Endosc. 2012 Jun;26(6):1509-15. doi: 10.1007/s00464-011-2085-3. Epub 2011 Dec 17.

Please check out this post on a scientific study of 4888 patients and leak complication rate:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/314316-sleeve-leak-risk-study-on-4888-patients/

Surg Endosc. 2012 Jun;26(6):1509-15. doi: 10.1007/s00464-011-2085-3. Epub 2011 Dec 17.

I have bought the big book on the sleeve and have been absorbing all the information I possibly can. I am still in the "should I do it" mode. I've heard people who have no regrets and ppl with the exact opposites having a ton of regrets. I want to go into it knowing exactly what I'm in for.. All I know is today I'm miserable at 231 lbs and 5'4. And I'm signed up for the options 3 month class.Even if I don't go through with the surgery I believe this class would be good for me.. Still indecisive, but getting informed!!! :-)

<p>Have you watched a video of the surgery yet? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If not, you might like to get up-close-and-personal with what happens to your poor little tummy during surgery. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's a 7 1/2 minute video for you. </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>(Others may have other vids they think are better.) </p>

<p>Have you watched a video of the surgery yet? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If not, you might like to get up-close-and-personal with what happens to your poor little tummy during surgery. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's a 7 1/2 minute video for you. </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>(Others may have other vids they think are better.) </p>

Believe me, my little tummy would look a whole hail of a lot worse if I died 10 years early, which is the path I was on!

Edited by BeagleLover