Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timelines as of 2014 for people of Toronto GTA

Hi, my name is Domenic I am in the early stages of considering some type of surgery.

As I understand my family Dr will have to register me with the bariatricregistry.ca and go from there if I want to go through OHIP.

I fall into the BMI of over 35+ ( 37 ) with conditions such as hard to manage diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

My Dr. is a bit old school and warned me that it will be "years" to have something done. I have also read from many other message boards from Canadians and Ontarians that some people are getting in done between 6 and 18 months.

So as you can imagine I am curious as to what is really happening out there

As lots of threads are 3+ years old I write this in hopes that people from the GTA will give me a timeframe of how long it took them from start to finish. Id love to hear from anyone who started the process in 2013 or 2014

Thanks again for reading this, everyone seems helpful and understanding in a world where everything is confusing its a nice change.

I start this process today because at 35 years old, I want to live again

Thanks

Hi Domenic I had my surgery done in Hamilton, ON. I first saw my family doctor in Feb 2013, she finally finished my referral to the bariatric registry in June 2013. It took her a bit to figure out what she was doing for the referral. I received my orientation date for the Guelph clinic in Sept 2013. I requested a transfer form Guelph to Hamilton because of privacy issues, I know people that work at the Guelph hospital that do not need to know my business. I went for my first appointment at the Hamilton clinic in Dec 2013, I thought because of the transfer it would be a lot longer getting in. I had my surgery on May 2, 2014.

I do believe the process time varies from region to region, but the sooner you get the ball rolling the better. I have found form listening to people in the clinic waiting room, if you do what your told, don't whine and complain you might just move along the process a bit quicker. I also jumped on getting any test and blood work done right away so I had all of it completed when I had my first few appointments.

Wish you luck in your journey, I don't regret any of it.

My doctor referred me around Feb 2015. I got my first orientation appt in August and my first one-on-one appt is booked for end of Oct. There are still a whole bunch more appointments to go. I'm hoping the whole thing might not take more than a year but I'm trying to find out more about the wait times as well. I know the gov't increased the budget in the last year or so, so I'm hoping it shouldn't be longer than that. Not a lot of updated data out there though.

Hello, does anyone have any update on this? My Dr. completed the referral for me 2 weeks ago to Toronto Western, and I'm just wondering how long it will be for the surguery - or even for the first appointment.

Thank you!

Teena

Hello, sure. I finished all my appointments at Toronto Western in September and was disappointed to not get an appointment with the surgeon until November 25th. Then to top it all off, my appointment was cancelled. For some unknown reason TWH cancelled all surgeon appointments for the last 5-6 weeks of the year. I was rescheduled to Jan 6 and had thought that it would be March or April before I have surgery. Fortunately TWH started working with Guelph to clear their backlog. I had my file transferred to Guelph, and saw Dr. Pereira-Hong on Dec 20. I'm scheduled for surgery on Jan 12, 2017.

Sorry for the long update.

As an fyi www.obesityhelp.com has an Ontario forum. There is a lot more info over there.