Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help, just got fill on Friday, got sick today

All,

Just got my first fill on Friday, 4-13-07. 1 cc. Was excited, but since then it has been mostly liquids. I could do small amounts of food, chewed VERY well. BUt even if I have a yougart, at first my stomach tightens. At 11:00 am had a yoplait yougart. Then about 1:00 got a cheese omelet because knew I had forgotten food for today and cafeteria was closing. After about 4 bites, got bad pain. Had to stand up. Even burped (which I never do). After a while I was able to walk to bathroom, and yes, got sick. What does this mean? Will I make my band move? Help!!:help:

ugh, just got sock again. Afraid to drive home as I have a 45 min ride. I wonder if te egfgs were bad..?? Has anything like this happende dto any of you?

It sounds to me as if you are too tight. It could settle down seeing as your fill was so recent. See how you go over the next few days and if it doesn't improve go back to your doctor. In the meantime eat slowing and really chew your food. Hope everything settles down for you.

Thank you louise. i am thinking that this was my first "food". I have mostly had liquids and mashed potatoes, about 1/8 cup of greens the other night. She mistakely put bacon in hte omelet. I am thinking thta might be the problem.... I have been doing fine, and I didn;t even remember thsat I haven't been eating solid foods. Guess I didn't miss them.

Sounds like you might be too tight. I would wait a few days and see if the swelling goes down. Sometimes it take a week for a fill to be just right. Julie

Yes, this has happened to me. I posted another thread seeking advice. The exact same thing. I got a fill and I think it's too tight. I feel pain and have thrown up once (I haven't thrown up since my senior year in high school, and I'm 35, so that gives you an idea of how bad it was).

I guess I am going to wait to see if the swelling goes down. I would recommend the same. Keep us posted. You and I sound exactly alike.

The best thing you can do when you throw up like that is go steight to liquids for a couple of days. It swells the area so no matter what you will even feel tighter. I threw up when I got my first fill because I got dizzy and I felt so tight for a couple of weeks. Even when I drank Water I would get that girgle sound and was afaid I was going to have to go back to have some removed. With in a couple of weeks I was fine and just stuck to mainly soft food. eggs are funny because sometimes I can eat them and sometimes they stick. Good luck but stick to liquids for now.

Thank you everyone. I have gone back to liquids and feel much better today. I guess I will play it by ear, and keep to the liquids for awhile. At least I am losing lots of lbs :-)

I have read that eggs give a lot of people trouble.

I was wondering if you still feel tight? I am in the exact situation today that you were. This is day 3 for me and I got sick for the first time after lunch today. I stood over the sink and spit and burped up foam and slime for an hour. I am hoping I'm just swollen and it will go down so I can tolerate more. Let me know how you are doing.:phanvan

The exact thing happened to me the other night. I am a week since my fill and I tried to chop up some really soft carne asada with refried Beans day before yesterday and after 5 bites...............I could tell I was in trouble. I kept having to get up to the bathroom to burp up foam and slime and all of the food finally came up after 30 min of this and total pain. OUCH!! I was really sore yesterday so stuck to Protein Shake and chili for dinner but ate really small bites and chewed really good. You will be sore for at least 24 hrs so go with warm liquids for meals and nothing solid. Sometimes you feel like you can each just about anything and then boom you have a very painful PB which reminds you that you have to be careful. Just let your insides heal from the irritation.

I can understand how you can tell if your band is to tight but how do you know if it is tight enough?? I had my first fill yesterday 4/24/07 and I have had no problems. I have not made the best of food choices because I have ran out of good choices for food but am going shopping tonight. I had a chicken finger about five french fires and about five bites of pineapple cake. How much should I be able to eat at one time. thanks for any help

That is a very good question, and one I am always asking. I have had the band for 4 months now. I am still learning to take tiny bites and chew very well. I don't want to get any more fill until I learn this well. It hurts to have it stick, and it's not good for us to puke. I don't have a clue how much we are supposed to eat. I have heard 1/2 cup of food, and other people say they eat whatever they want, just in small portions. I will be curious to see what anyone else says.

Doesn't your doc have rules to follow after a fill? I know mine says 3 days liquids, 3 days mushies then the more solid stuff. The eggs were probably too much too soon for you especially if you got an aggressive fill. I just got one today myself and I already know there is nothing going down except liquids for a while. I believe your stomach swells after the band has been filled because, my doc anyway, takes Fluid out, then pushes it back, takes it out then pushes it back with more. All that flexing causes my stomach under the band to swell. Liquids for me for at least 3 days :rolleyes: Start back to basics and I think you'll do just fine but, if you can't keep things down definately call your doc and discuss it with him/her.

My doctor only says one day of liquids and one day of mushies after a fill.