Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post-op...Thoughts and musings

I had my VSG surgery 6 months ago on 11/14/13. This has been an amazing process!

I have learned a lot in the past 6 months...

* One bite too many will cause unbelievable pain for hours - it's not worth it.

* A bagel is a gateway drug.

* There is life after losing A LOT of hair.< /p>

* I was more hung up about my weight than other people.

* I like to cross my legs now that I am able.

* I actually like to exercise.

* I don't mind flying on a plane now that I fit in the seat.

* I can eat around my sleeve, but I don't feel good physically or mentally afterwards.

* I have a sleeve of steel which is a double edged sword.

* There are days I will still feel like The Fat Girl.

* The mental part of this process is more than I expected and has taken and will take more effort than I expected.

Some negative thoughts that come to mind:

I have had moments of "What the hell did I do to myself" even as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

I sometimes feel like a fraud - only 5 people know I had the surgery (please don't judge, I have my reasons) - there are days I feel like I took the easy way out...I know this isn't true, but it's how I feel sometimes. I know there hasn't been anything easy about this, but that bias, that perception that some have still sticks with me. I feel like there are some people just waiting for me to gain the weight back.

I have some "friends" that haven't said anything about the 70 pounds I have lost. I have another "friend" that doesn't speak to me any more.

My weight loss has slowed way down the past 2 months - it's discouraging.

Some positive thoughts:

I feel awesome. I feel better today than I did 15 years ago.

I can shop at a "normal" store - no more Plus Size clothes for me.

My health is so much better than 6 months ago - blood pressure is down, not on the verge of diabetes, labs are great.

I can make it thru the day without a nap - I used to lose 1-2 hours a day napping because I couldn't get thru the day.

My relationship with my husband is better - this one is on me, he never made me feel bad about my weight (he never uttered a word)

I'm a better mom - I'm more active, more attentive, I have more patience.

I'm a better employee - I have more focus and I don't have such a short temper.

My life is better than it was last year.

Even though my loss is slowing down, I'm losing inches (3 pounds lost last month, but I lost 5 inches!)

This has been an amazing process and I am so fortunate to have been given the opportunity to have this surgery. For those newbies who are thinking about having surgery or are going to have their surgery soon - this is a life changer. I know you're scared - I was, too. This is an opportunity for a do-over. Would I do this over again? Absolutely - my only regret is I waited until my mid-40's to do it!

I can't help but notice that our starting weights are similar. Can I ask how your skin is holing up?

I can't help but notice that our starting weights are similar. Can I ask how your skin is holing up?

Hi there!

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but yeah, there's loose skin. I have some on my inner thighs, my tunny (the dreaded apron) and my bat wings (arms). I'm working hard on toning and building muscle (not bulking up, toning.)

I don't know if it helps, but I use Firming Lotion from Nivea - if nothing else, it makes me feel like I'm doing something to help.

If I may ask, how drastic is the apron and would you say pants hide it and the thighs well enough?

Yes to both - apron is not too terribly bad, it hangs down maybe 1 1/2-2". On my thighs, it's not really bad, I have muscular legs, and I've noticed that as I've added weight training, it's gotten better - I have sagging on the inside of my thighs and I can wear capris or bermuda shorts with no issues..

Yes to both - apron is not too terribly bad, it hangs down maybe 1 1/2-2". On my thighs, it's not really bad, I have muscular legs, and I've noticed that as I've added weight training, it's gotten better - I have sagging on the inside of my thighs and I can wear capris or bermuda shorts with no issues..

Thank you so much for your very open and honest post. I get a lot of reassurance from people who post the negatives, yet still say they have no regrets. My op is tomorrow, and I'm scared that the mental side is going to be my failure.....posts like yours make me feel that it's normal to think twice, however, with commitment and focus, it all works out in the end.

Thanks heaps and good luck in your continued journey :)

Thank you so much for your very open and honest post. I get a lot of reassurance from people who post the negatives, yet still say they have no regrets. My op is tomorrow, and I'm scared that the mental side is going to be my failure.....posts like yours make me feel that it's normal to think twice, however, with commitment and focus, it all works out in the end.

Thanks heaps and good luck in your continued journey :)

Best of luck tomorrow. I'll be honest, the night before and the morning of surgery, I almost backed out. Truly, I sat in admitting thinking "I could walk out of here and only be out $500." I was scared, so scared, but at that moment that I looked at my husband and thought about all the reasons I wanted to have the surgery, I chose to walk down that long hallway and start the process.

It hasn't been all sunshine and lollipops - I've been frustrated, mad (at myself for letting it get to this point), fearful, disappointed, etc. But, I AM happy I did this. It has been so worth it.

You'll do fine tomorrow - be patient and take good care of yourself. I had my surgery on an outpatient basis (I was in a 6:00 am and in the car to go home at noon). That first day I slept and paced around the condo (that was the only thing that helped with the gas pains). I took 2 or 3 pain pills in total - just so I could get some good sleep.

Good luck!

McButterpants: you literally just made me smile, laugh out loud & shed a tear-ALL at the same time. ❤️❤️❤️

You are sooo awesome!!!