Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be able to get rid of my CPAP machine?

I too lost the need for CPAP with moderate weight loss, after 10 long years on the machine.

do I really need to go back for another sleep study

@@Bandista

hope you can get rid of the CPAP sooner than later

"maybe" wait til you are down a few more lbs

in my opinion you should do the sleep study

this makes it more official

I hated wearing that stupid CPAP (sometimes i wouldn't!!)

when i reached goal, down 105 lbs, THEN i went for another sleep study

saw the doc in a couple of weeks - was given the ok to stop the CPAP

good luck to you

47 lbs down :)

you are aces :)

keep up the good work (i know you will :) )

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

My pulmonologist asked what weight I was when I was first diagnosed with apnea. She said when I get down to about 10 pounds less than that and maintain it, she'll retest.

Apnea is REALLY dangerous even though it seems to just be tiring. I won't go off my machine without having a doctor's approval.

And, btw -- the other poster was right -- there are a lot of different mask options. I had a full face mask and then a partial and now I have the little nasal pillows that just fit up in the nostrils a little. It is very comfortable and MUCH better than the masks. But, everybody's different. If you're having trouble with the mask, you can try different ones. My insurance will pay for a second mask to try within 30 days or something like that.

Please talk to your doctor!

Ginger

I don't know that I'll even pursue trying to sleep without my CPAP. It's my security blanket. I vividly remember the days of gasping for air, or hubby staying up half the night to make sure he was there to waken me at one of those times. My oxygen drops to 56 at night without it. I just had another sleep study and it showed (although I dropped 60 pounds from the weight when I first got it 8 years ago) I needed an increase.

I wouldn't think of even taking a nap without it. I know I'm waking up in the morning with it, not sure without.

I did do a trial run back on the cpap and decided my reflux came because as long as I wore the cpap mask I never turned on my stomach. I can sleep on my stomach now since the wt. loss, but sometimes get the reflux. I will be mentioning this to the doctor since I already take 2 priolsecs a day. and don't eat after dinner or drink for that matter.

Did they do an endoscopy and stomach scope on you prior to surgery? If not, you may have a hernia... please do talk with your doctor about this

So, I have slept without my CPAP when I got to a "normal" BMI. I didn't snore, but I didn't feel as rested as I felt when I did use it. I gave it a week without the CPAP, and after that, I decided to go back to using it. My setting was 14.5, so I Googled the model and found the instructions to change it. After a few days of trial and error, I found a good setting for me, 4.0. It is very low and I find I get a better night's sleep with it. When I travel, I still do take it with me as, like I said, I just find I feel better with it.

Of course, I would rather not, but I've had it for over 10 years and have gotten used to it, as has the wife. So no reason to give it up. It is only doing good, I believe, as I have never heard of anyone having issues BECAUSE the used a CPAP.

I have a machine with a modem and I cannot change the settings

Betcha a dollar you can ... ;)

Mine has security settings, too, but hey ... it's electronic ... there's always a workaround. PM me your make and model.

You'll have to disconnect the phone, for sure, but also know many, many people are dropping their home phone lines now, so ...

Shmily ... you owe me a dollar, BTW! :D

Wow, thanks so much every one for the feedback. I think for many of us it is a love/hate relationship. Love being able to sleep and it has become an automatic reaction now to sleep when I have it on -- but I wake up with head gear issues. Or maybe I just wake up! And I think sleep changes as we get older. I have the nose pillow kind of "mask" and feel fortunate for that, but the ongoing care for sleep issues has not been there. I had the sleep study, got the machine and now for years and years I've been in the hands of a third-party company that is just in it for the money. But I need to make this a project -- see if I can figure out the right settings and how to do that on my own, then get down thirty more and have a new sleep study just for good measure. Thanks for all the shared stories, advice, etc. You guys are great. Zzzzzzz.......zzzzz.....zzzz

Mine has security settings, too, but hey ... it's electronic ... there's always a workaround. PM me your make and model.

You'll have to disconnect the phone, for sure, but also know many, many people are dropping their home phone lines now, so ...

Yep, I sure do. After much adoo and many phone calls, I finally got my pulmo to work with the provider until they got mine set on auto, to only give me what I need. It is SO much better. I told her If they don't hurry up and get it done, I will just do it myself since I found a youtube video that shows me how". She replied "You shouldn't mess with your machine". I replied, "That is better than not wearing it at all". The data showed since my wt loss I had only stopped breathing three times an hour and the mask loss was 47% per night. I find since I have started using it again, I don't wake up with a headache and do feel less sleepy during the day.

Yep, I sure do. After much adoo and many phone calls, I finally got my pulmo to work with the provider until they got mine set on auto, to only give me what I need. It is SO much better. I told her If they don't hurry up and get it done, I will just do it myself since I found a youtube video that shows me how". She replied "You shouldn't mess with your machine". I replied, "That is better than not wearing it at all". The data showed since my wt loss I had only stopped breathing three times an hour and the mask loss was 47% per night. I find since I have started using it again, I don't wake up with a headache and do feel less sleepy during the day.
@@PdxMan @@shmily yippee!

I'm definitely hoping to sever the relationship with my CPAP machine.