Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! New member...

I am so looking forward :clap2: to being a member in this forum, as I have been looking for a place to join that deals with weight loss surgeries etc., specifically lapband.. I am scheduled to see Dr. Davey in Edmonton to have the lap band done and have been waiting a year already. I am told that this is normal. I am wondering if there are any others in Alberta who have had this procedure through this doctor and would be willing share their experiences. Of course I would love to hear from anyone that would like to share their experiences with regards to thier journey.

Regards,

Patti :)

I am so looking forward :clap2: to being a member in this forum, as I have been looking for a place to join that deals with weight loss surgeries etc., specifically lapband.. I am scheduled to see Dr. Davey in Edmonton to have the lap band done and have been waiting a year already. I am told that this is normal. I am wondering if there are any others in Alberta who have had this procedure through this doctor and would be willing share their experiences. Of course I would love to hear from anyone that would like to share their experiences with regards to thier journey.

Regards,

Patti :)

Welcome Patti, I am from Calgary and was on the list for Calgary & Edmonton but opted to pay for it myself rather than wait. I am interested to hear your experience with the system in Alberta.

There are a couple of Albertans here, but to my knowledge you are the only person who is being done by Dr.Davey in Edmonton in recent history.

Andrew

Hello Patti,

Welcome. I am an Edmontonian as well. I will be getting my lapband in Toronto. I have heard of Dr. Davey through some of the folks on this site but have no information one way or the other about his practice.

There are a few Edmontonians and Albertans on this site so that's great. Maybe we can set-up our own in-person support group.

Cat

I don't know how you did it, well...maybe if its paid for you it's worth it (vs. paying 16000$ out of pocket). But i had a consult on april 5th and my surgery is may 4th and it seems like an ETERNITY. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm from Edmonton too and was banded by Dr.Cobourn in TO. Seems like there is quite the Edmonton group here now. Maybe we could get together once in awhile for a support group?

Great idea Becca!!

I was thinking the same thing. It would be really nice to get together and put faces to names! Share thoughts and ideas and just plain old visit!

Maybe even try to get together with those from Calgary and other areas at some central point... maybe Red Deer?? With summer coming (please God let it be coming soon) the drive would be kinda nice and so worth it to meet everyone!

Anyone else interested in doing this???

lol how about calling it Alberta banded??? -=walks off humming Alberta bound, alberta bound, it's good to be alberta bound...=-

Hey, I thought I came up with that idea. It's a great idea. I'm in.

Cat

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. Dr. Davey's clinic is the Weight Wise Clinic in Edmonton, and he has a lot of patients waiting to get in to see him. From my understanding (please don't quote me) is that due to the fact that Alberta Health Care pays for the procedure...they also control the number of patients who have this procedure done. For example, if the doctor can only put through, say, 15 patients per year and he has 100 patients waiting...well, you do the math. If I could afford to pay out of pocket I sure would, however, economics dictate, so I focus instead on loosing weight while I wait. :) I would love to hear from anyone who has already had the procedure to find out if they have had any setbacks or struggles....Does anyone wish they had not had the procedure done? For those of you going for the procedure soon, keep posting as I for one would love to share the journey with you too! As for the "get together" or suport group, that would be great. I will stay tuned! Cheers all..

Patti

Hi Cream, I live in Calgary and started the process through my doctor in January to be referred to both the Calgary Health Region and the Capital Health Region. I'm a student so I can appreciate your point about the financial issue. As far as I know the doctors get funding to do so many surgeries per year. You are right in saying... there are many people waiting. As I understand it, and don't quote me, the wait could be anywhere from 3-5 years. I, personally, was not willing to wait that long so I have arranged to go out of province. Hopefully something will change soon in our healthcare system so that Lapband surgery becomes a priority treatment for obesity in this province. I wish you the best in your journey!

:clap2:

Hey there, I am also new to the site but have been eavesdropping for a little while now. I was banded Feb 16 2007 at TLBC and am so glad I did this. It's still not easy but nothing is that is worth it. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Is anyone going to the Bandster Bash?

Debbie

Hi Debbie, yes I plan on attending the Bandster Bash, especially as I live only 10 min. away from the conference. It will be my first time and I look forward to meeting all the people (even those I don't necessarily agree with!) I will look for you there too, I will be the one who is overweight. Ohh...I guess that will describe most of us! heehee By the way where do you live?

Donna

Banded by Dr. Cobourn ONE YEAR YESTERDAY!!

251/166/125 goal

Yes Debbie I remember meeting you! I think you and Brian and I were the only bandsters there. I will be attending this Saturday also and I hope I will see you there!

Donna

Banded By Dr. Cobourn ONE YEAR BANDIVERSARY YESTERDAY:clap2: