Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Its just me, Don't feel alone. I was like you for a very long time. I was banded June 6, and since the actual surgery I have only lost 18 pounds. I did lost 17 more before the surgery. I also was exercising a lot and the scale was not moving. I was being measured tho, and I did lose inches. I know how disgusting it is. I keep hearing that the reason is because muscle weighs more than fat, etc. Not sure if that was the case or not, but please stick with it. I finally lost 5 pounds between my last 2 fills. Hopefully, things are starting to turn around. I really haven't had any pbing or sliming and feel little restriction, and the NP just keeps saying they haven't found the right spot yet.

Just keep with the exercise, and I think soon you will have a pleasant surprise.

But, you are not alone, and I you are a failure, than so am I. I know I am not going to fail....

ItsJustMe - No, you are not a failure. The goal that I was given was 5 to 10 pounds a month, and you have done that. Your BMI is not real high, so you will not lose as fast as those with much more to lose. You won't lose the same as anyone else, for that matter. You are on target and a genuine success with your weight loss to date. Keep up your efforts and pat yourself on the back because you deserve it.

Me, I feel like my body is mocking me...the first month 25 pounds and I was ecstatic, then 10 the next, then 6. I refuse to let it continue like this! I just keep plugging along and push the negative out of my head. It would be very easy to let frustration overcome, believe me. This place helps a LOT. So do the folks at my gym.

Good for you on getting a trainer! That should really get you focused. They are great for giving you a plan, even if you don't meet with them long-term.

Chin up! You are doing great!

First, I want to start out by saying that I absolutely love these boards. It is the first place I go when I get on the computer during the day. Even tho I don't write much, I feel like I have gotten to know you all through the many months.

Now, I read about everyones great weight loss. There are people who have lost 50 or more pounds since the surgery. You are doing great. But, then I look at myself and think that I am doing something wrong. Why can I only loose less than 20 pounds. I get very frustrated.

I went in to have a fill a few days ago, and talked a lot with the NP that did the fill. I told her how bad I am doing compared to so many on here. She said that she deals with this every day for many years now, and the people that are losing so much weight are definatly the exception, not the norm. She feels I am doing great, and am right on track. Like she said, you didn't gain all that weight in 4 months, so don't expect to loose it that fast.

She had me talk to a couple that was getting fills that morning. They had both been banded a year ago in Oct. The man has lost 68 pounds, and the women almost 80. She said they are doing perfect, right on track.

She kept stressing to me that it is not normal to loose big amounts of weight that fast. She told me that weight loss like that is more common with a gastric bypass patient, but not with a band patient.

So, Maybe I am doing ok. She made me feel a lot better after talking to her.

I think there are probably lots more people out there like me, who are reading this. They probably read the posts every day also, and wonder what they are doing wrong.

NOTHING. I think we are just embarrased to write much on here because we don't have such wondeful numbers to write about.

So, lets not feel like failures. Lets just keep on working at this, even if it is only 5 pounds or less a month, and be proud of ourselves.

That's all I have to say, and I am glad I got it off my chest.

Hey Joeygirl,

I feel the same, even though I've lost a bit more then you. I just have SO MUCH to lose that I feel like the normal 2-3 pounds a week is not enough! Lol. I want to lose like 5 a week... which is not normal or healthy for a banded patient.

I just stick with it. I'm pleased as pie that I was able to lose as much as I have over the past 3 1/2 months. I can't wait until Thanksgiving - to see much of my family that hasn't seen me since last Thanksgiving (and no one knows about my band) I hope to lose about 20 more by then, even though I'm sure I won't... Hoping for 10 though. It's only six weeks away!

Hang in there everyone!

I feel like I am a slow loser too. I lost 24 pounds on my pre/post surgery liquid diet. It is very hard to step on the scale and only lose a pound or less a week. Granted I do not exercise a lot. Not all that much time in my day. On my days off I try to get a hour of walking in, but that is only two days a week. My surgeon told me that I am doing a great job. I want more, but don't we all. I have only had two fill and I get a lot of food stuck and probably PB twice a week or more. I am guess it is what I eat. I have a hard time eating Breakfast and supper but can eat lunch just fine. I do not journal my food. I have never had even the millions of times I went to weight watchers. It is just not in me to do it. Well off for my walk today. Sorry to ramble on.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for answering my crazy message. I took an Ambien last night about 45 min. before I logged on to LBT, I just looked at what I wrote :( Holy Cow!!! :) I guess I can't spell on Ambien (Note to self...Spelll Check!!) anyway thank you all for reading my mess, but what do you think? Should I get my scheduled fill tomorrow? How much restriction is it when you hit the sweet spot. This will be my fourth fill and the tightness kind of scares me.

Thanks guys... :help:

To those who are discouraged today: Chin up! If you keep watching what you eat, getting in your Protein, and adding activity, you will eventually lose. It may not be at lightening speed, but one day you will step on the scale and be down a bunch. Don't give up. Just keep trying. There is no way that if you keep working at it that you won't lose weight. And if not a lot of weight, then you will definitely lose inches, and to quote another post, "I would rather be a size 14 at 200 pounds than a 16 at 185."

Joeygirl - I agree 5 pounds a month is definitely something to be proud of. Just think that is 60 pounds per year. At least it will 60 pounds gone forever and not any pounds gained.

Itsjustme - I don't think I would get the fill if you are getting things stuck. I would probably wait and see how things go. (But I probably am not the best person to answer this, I haven't had a fill yet.) I just think that you don't want to get so tight that you are getting sick. Are you paying attention to your bite size and chewing?

I think it is important for all of us to remember - we are losing! Even if we are all not losing at the same rate or we are maintaining and gaining muscle, we are NOT gaining weight.

ItsJustme - If you feel like you have to stop eating, instead of the band making you stop, you may want a slight fill. I have had 4 fills (with an unfill after the 3rd). I have at least 7cc in my small AP band (forgot to ask last fill). I am definitely at my sweet spot, but it will be different for everyone. I can eat anything but bread, I do not slime or PB, just a slight discomfort in my chest if I eat too fast. I can only eat 1/4-1/2 cup of food at a time, which doesn't seem like much, but I am happy with it right now. Except of course when my binge mentality kicks in!

In other news - my interview in Nashville went well, I am going back for further interviews on Thursday and Friday.

My husband is finally on medication for his H. pylori. It is a 14 day pack of Prevacid and 2 antibiotics, he has to take twice a day. He is starting to feel hungry, so hopefully he is on the mend. He is hoping to get one good meal in before he goes back for a fill :-)! He is down 117lbs, but it has been a very rough way to lose it, definitely would not recommend it.

Happy Monday everyone! Another day in this amazing journey.

mjsafari - Good luck to your husband. I had that before surgery and I think the meds were as bad as being sick. I can't imagine how it would be with the band.

Thanks Ashley - it has been a long road. He hasn't eaten solid food since early August. We were worried about the pills going down, but he had all Fluid removed from his band, so thankfully they are going down okay. Before his scope and the diagnosis, we were thinking he was going to have to have the band removed, but hopefully this will fix the issues and he will be back on track soon.

Saturday night I took my son to the store to get him some munchies. I saw this cookie I had never seen before...milk chocolate covered mint Oreo's. OMG they are HEAVEN! I ate half the box yesterday! (Granted, there are only 12 to a box, but STILL!) I feel terrible! I haven't blown my eating plan to that degree before EVER and I can't believe I couldn't stop. I'm so mad at myself. UGH!

pcdividergcg1.gif

Stephanie, those are delicious. It happens to all of us. You are so disciplined, I bet you just jumped back on the bandwagon today. I bet it definitely did quite a shock to your metabolism. Maybe you will lose bunches now.

Stef I had those long ago. I am a huge mint/chocolate fan so I know if I bought that I probably would eat more than half the box.

Stephanie, those are delicious. It happens to all of us. You are so disciplined, I bet you just jumped back on the bandwagon today. I bet it definitely did quite a shock to your metabolism. Maybe you will lose bunches now.

I don't want to tell you what it did to my system! Let's just say my belly is still gurgling and painful. I made myself sick. Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I still can't believe it. The kids don't like mint, so I crumbled the rest of them into the toilet and FLUSHED!