Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Laura....You are doing GREAT with your weight loss!!!! Kudos!!!

I wasn't put on a restrictive diet, but the band is *doing* that for me. I have lots of foods I can't tolerate---any sort of bread right at the top of the list and it is depressing...

....depressing because there are so many foods that have bread/toast/etc. and I avoid them, but the weight isn't falling off!!! teeheehee

...e.g. tonight my family had sandwiches and chips for dinner, and I just drank a Protein Shake. Even the sandwich meat will make me slime for some reason.....I guess maybe I eat it too fast? Dunno.

Anyway, not the answer you were looking for, but wanted to vent, I guess! So thanks!

----Toni

Toni,when you say you can't tolerate some foods-what happens that you know you can't tolerate them?

Thanks

Laura

Hi Laura,

Sorry for the grossness of this, but the food comes back up with a good amount of slime (saliva + stomach stuff?). It doesn't hurt....unless the food got "stuck" to start with: there's no heaving or anything.

It's almost like a reguritation that's uncontrollable and I despise it.

One time it even happened with Rice Krisipies! It normally wouldn't (happen with Rice Krisipies)....my band is just finicky that way. Or I may need a slight unfill....who knows?

Thanks for asking, though! Feels good to "let it all out here!"

---Toni

Big Baby and Beckie.....I am thinking of both of you!!!! I'm sorry for the tough times you are going through!!!!!

Dawn and BCrazy....Too Funny....I'm always stretching my T-Shirts, too! I can't wait 'till I don't have too! Good for y'all!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Java...welcome back to the board....glad you had fun at the beach!

Where's our Nina and Hotty?????

No Laura, my dietician and surgeon don't ban any food. They just encourage good choices. IMHO Good, whole carbs are fine. Strong words but I'm going to say it, I think anybody who tells you that you shouldn't eat fresh fruit is a quack. Don't forget that the Atkins thing is just a phase and it will make way for something else in the near future.

Here's something weird that's happening with my band. I'm on my 2nd fill, about 2 weeks in. I'm having a horrible time eating meat. I can. however, eat salad and roughage. If I eat them together, there's no problem. It like the meat just sits in my pouch, stuck...unless I eat salad with it. Weird, huh?

I get the slime thing when I take too big of a bite or am eating too fast. I told my hubby last night he is a bad influence because he wolfs his food down....and sitting at the same table sometimes I start doing the same thing until ....THE SLIMMMMMMMMMMEEEE. So off I go to get rid of it and start over.....slowly and with small bites. There is nothing in particular that does it for me....just the two things above. I can eat anything...and that is scary....but I am really trying to watch it. I've lost 36 pds since surgery on 6/18.

I don't know what I was expecting - but I thought I'd be losing about 20 a month! Oh well - it is coming off and so far my skin isnt looking too bad - so maybe thats a plus and I won't have to have a surgery tocorrect that.

Carlotta

I've been sooooo bad today!!

We had a pot-luck at work today. Nurses are so not healthy people! Lol. I brought in bow-tie Pasta with spag sauce, since it was quick and easy and in my cabinet and I didn't want to eat it! One nurse brought in beenie weenies, one brought in a bunch of Cookies, one brought in store made potato salad and so on.. So here were no good choices really... I ate a few 'weenies', thinking that at least, though high in fat, they were Protein. But then I got sucked in and had a cookie. chocolate chip... and it went down soooo easy! I had another, then another. (Did you know junk food went down so easily?!?!!) I think I ate about 8 cookies. Maybe it was 9 or 10? I dunno. I lost count. I ate some more weenies, this time with the beenies. Lol. Then I had some potato salad. Once I got home I felt like I used to - like I was just warming up into a binge! I distracted myself and went to do laundry. Came home and put everything away... and then went to the store and bought Snickers ice cream. I ate about 1/3 of the container - In the past I would have eated the whole thing.

HELP!!

OK, Thankfully I have a meeting with a nutritionist on Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to that!! I'm goping she can give me new clever ideas.

I tried buying lettuce to have salads in the evenings, but salad doesn't get along well with my band. After about 2 bites I feel STUFFED and STUCK. Its bad. Or, maybe that would be good? Nah... Sliming is the worst.

I really just feel aweful about eating WHAT I did today, and in the amount that I ate it. My right side and my back hurt now, I'm sure its cause I am so stuffed on JUNK food.

Oh, and this morning I Was up about 4 pounds from my low weight early last week. Ugh!!! I CAN'T go the wrong way!! I just can't!!

TOMORROW is a new day, right?!?!

I need to go to the gym tomorrow.

One last thing - a good ting - I can now wear 2 of my scrubs uniforms that I haven't been able to wear in the past year. That feels nice. :eek:

OK, sorry for ranting here... Have a good night all.

Awww Suzzzie, don't be so hard on yourself. You were testing your limits....now you know you have to resist temptation because your band won't stop you from eating those things. Yes, tomorrow is a new day! You'll get going in a new direction again. :)

Goodmorning everyone!

Suzzzie today is a new day, start fresh. Great NSV with the scrubs!

lo2 I also heard to mix salads with the meat, this will help it go down, the same with Pasta and rice. if you mix a little in with vegies and some type of sauce you will be able to eat it. And of course small bites!

cj your weight loss is GREAT, 20 lbs a month most likely will not happen. The band is slower than GB.

I go for my 2nd fill today. I know I currently have some restriction in the sense of when I am full and to stop eating. But, I also know that I currently still eat larger bites and eat to fast. I think later today this fill will change all this! I will keep you all posted.

I have been the same weight since the end of July. I am 2.6 cc of a 4cc band with very little restriction. I am discouraged only because I am hungry and try so hard not to eat more than I should and in between meals. I feel like this is just another crappy diet.

Waters, don't feel alone. That is about the same situation I am in now. I told the NP last time I was in that I feel like I paid all this money just to be on a diet. Plus, obviously I am not good at diets or I woundn't have had to have this surgery in the first place. I am able to eat anything I want. I have yet to have anything stuck. I can eat bread, Pasta, meat, whatever. I want to feel what it is like to not be able to get something down. I have 7cc in a 10cc band.

I am so discouraged. I have lost 30 lbs total, but over half of that was with the pre op diet.

The NP says we just haven't found the right spot yet, and sometime it takes awhile. 3 months out of surgery isn't that much. But, then I read on these boards about everyone losing so much. 60 lbs and more..

So, I know that for some people it does work right away. Why not me.

Are there more of us out there. It seems like the only ones writing are the ones doing so well. And believe me, I don't blame them. I would be telling all about it also. I don't go in for a fill for 3 weeks now. Hopefully she will get the right amount this time.

Waters/Joeygirl - keep working for that restriction. Call and see if you can get a fill sooner if needed. I was very discouraged before my last fill. I was losing weight, but it was because I was dieting and I knew I couldn't maintain that for long. I now have good restriction and can NOT overeat, even if I don't make the best choice every time. PLEASE don't blame yourself, you have not failed, you just need more restriction.

Suzzzie- when you were saying your right side and back were hurting after you ate all that the other day was it hurting really bad -like cramping and take your breathe away pain? Just curious because I have been having pain on my right side quite a bit.

Have you ever had that kind of pain before?

BTW don't beat yourself up about it, I've have evidently been overeating a bit myself. Things seem to go down pretty good and only a few times have I had a stuck feeling and have never thrown up. However maybe they are not going down as good as I thought and I'm eating to big of bites and not chewing well enough or just overeating, and that is why my right side has been hurting. Is that gas pain I wonder?

Okay this may be a really dumb question but what causes gas? I mean I know certain foods do but is it because they are not digested well? Or are there other reasons why food can cause gas pain? Does eating to big of bites not chewing well, and drinking too fast?

Thanks for any insight on this.

I just have never had gas issues before this surgery

Laura

Hey all. Thanks for the words of encouragment.

Today was much better. Actually, all I've eaten today is 1/2 a peice of whole wheat extray crispy toast (which didn't agree well with my band at all! I was so stuck for a minute that I seriously felt like I was going to pass out!) and I ate a ham and cheese omlet. I know it wasn't the most healthiest thing, Lol, but it was good and I had it for Breakfast, a snack, lunch, and another snack. So I can say all I've eaten today is an omlet and 1/2 peice of toast. I have some grapes I'll eat later, just so I can say I ate some fruit today. Lol.

And it has been a VERY stressful day - for reasons I don't want to go into right now - and I did NOT turn to food at all. I'm kinda proud!