Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I hate that "food police" thing others do. That was the main reason I hardly told anyone about being banded, I can't stand being watched. My dh occasionally yells "watcha doing hun?" from the living room when I am out in the kitchen and I know he's checking whether I am eating or not. Standard reply " eating everything I can before you see me" :heh: lol

Benifiber is great. You can put it in lots of things and not even know it's there. The Constipation thing has been bad for me since the pre op diet.

:confused:Question Why do we PB? It's so random. I can eat tons of some types of food but the other day I had 2 small bites of apple (well chewed) and back it came. It doesn't make sense, if your little stomach is empty then why does the food come back, there must be enough room for 2 bites of apple. Any medical types that can explain?? I'm a nurse but makes no sense to me. Well off I go to clean my disaster house (with the speed of a herd of turtles!!!) :tired Good luck with your day Junies, Marga

Okay, my turn to vent: I think I'm the weird-o here, but please don't hate me. (LOL)

I'm not having problems eating too much, but just the opposite. And a few other problems are "head hunger" for the wrong foods (crunchy/salty) only because I know I can't. I've never been an emotional eater, ever. I think I've always kept my metabolism in starvation mode because I wouldn't eat at all until 2pm to 4pm, and then just grab something and get back to work. I don't have a sweet tooth very much at all, but absolutely crave the crunchy/salty Snacks.< /p>

So I'm trying to eat small amounts all throughout the day to keep my metabolism revved, but I swear taking time to eat is a royal pain in the *SS. I never understood how I got fat, aside from no excercise and eating too late in the evening.

Does anyone have any ideas to help with this? Anyone else in the same boat? I've always been known as "the cheerleader", ever the optimist...but this is making me crazy.

OK, It's hard to explain to those of you who drink very little Water. I have ALWAYS been a huge water drinker. If I go out to dinner (pre-band) I would drink 3-5 glasses of water. Now I drink about 1/2 glass. My NP says that is great that I have cut back that much, but does still push me to avoid drinking.

I'm always thirsty. I was tested for diabetes insipidus a long time ago, Lol. I'm normal, just thirsty. My first fill is tomorrow, so I'll talk to the NP again... maybe she has more suggestions. But ice water is one of my weaknesses.

(My granny used to be afraid I would get water toxicity cause I drink so much. Nope, I'm FINE!)

Well goodness, I don't think 1/2 glass (as long as it isn't a 32 oz glass, I mean) with dinner is that bad. It sounded like you were drinking lots more than that earlier, I apologize. Your NP is right, that's an amazing feat to have cut back that much. Goodonya!

I drink a LOT of water, too. Though it comes in spurts for me. I LOVE water with lemon (I've fallen in love with True Lemon and True Lime and True Orange).

I drink a LOT of Water, too. Though it comes in spurts for me. I LOVE water with lemon (I've fallen in love with True Lemon and True Lime and True Orange).

I love water with lemon, too. What is True Lemon/True Lime/True Orange?

It's lemon, lime or orange flavors crystallized and in little packets like little sugar packets that you add to Water to flavor it. They have NO sugar and NO sweeteners of any kind in them. I LOVE them, you can ususally find them in the juice aisle, with the Kool-aid or with sweeteners in your local supermarket. Here's a link so you know what you're looking for:

True Orange, 0 Calories, 0 Carbohydrates, Excellent Source Of Vitamin C

I hate that "food police" thing others do. That was the main reason I hardly told anyone about being banded, I can't stand being watched. My dh occasionally yells "watcha doing hun?" from the living room when I am out in the kitchen and I know he's checking whether I am eating or not. Standard reply " eating everything I can before you see me" :heh: lol

Benifiber is great. You can put it in lots of things and not even know it's there. The Constipation thing has been bad for me since the pre op diet.

:confused:Question Why do we PB? It's so random. I can eat tons of some types of food but the other day I had 2 small bites of apple (well chewed) and back it came. It doesn't make sense, if your little stomach is empty then why does the food come back, there must be enough room for 2 bites of apple. Any medical types that can explain?? I'm a nurse but makes no sense to me. Well off I go to clean my disaster house (with the speed of a herd of turtles!!!) :tired Good luck with your day Junies, Marga

Marga - you make me laugh so much!

I'm not sure on the PB thing. Haven't done that one yet... but I haven't gotten my first fill yet. I have slimed several times though - from not chewing well enough.

Well goodness, I don't think 1/2 glass (as long as it isn't a 32 oz glass, I mean) with dinner is that bad. It sounded like you were drinking lots more than that earlier, I apologize. Your NP is right, that's an amazing feat to have cut back that much. Goodonya!

I drink a LOT of Water, too. Though it comes in spurts for me. I LOVE Water with lemon (I've fallen in love with True Lemon and True Lime and True Orange).

Faith, I said earlier that I drink about 6oz with meals now. ANd it is in small sips (vs. the giant gulps I used to take) and it will last me all meal.

Hi, everyone,

I enjoy reading all your posts. I got my first fill today. I was expecting "no big deal" based on your experiences but I have to say that mine hurt. I told DH it was more like a rabies shot than a mosquito bite! Then the barium wouldn't go down and I fought like crazy to keep it down. Finally they let me sit up and it went through. The moral of this story is for me never to lie down after eating!

Anyway, I got 5.5cc in my large AP Band. I sure hope I feel some restriction. I admit I am impatient to get this show on the road!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzzzie. viewpost.gif

Marga - you make me laugh so much!

I'm not sure on the PB thing. Haven't done that one yet... but I haven't gotten my first fill yet. I have slimed several times though - from not chewing well enough.

Faith, I said earlier that I drink about 6oz with meals now. ANd it is in small sips (vs. the giant gulps I used to take) and it will last me all meal.

Again, I apologize, I must have glossed over the part where you said 6oz and just focused on the 8oz part of your post.

Okay, my turn to vent: I think I'm the weird-o here, but please don't hate me. (LOL)

I'm not having problems eating too much, but just the opposite. And a few other problems are "head hunger" for the wrong foods (crunchy/salty) only because I know I can't. I've never been an emotional eater, ever. I think I've always kept my metabolism in starvation mode because I wouldn't eat at all until 2pm to 4pm, and then just grab something and get back to work. I don't have a sweet tooth very much at all, but absolutely crave the crunchy/salty Snacks.

So I'm trying to eat small amounts all throughout the day to keep my metabolism revved, but I swear taking time to eat is a royal pain in the *SS. I never understood how I got fat, aside from no excercise and eating too late in the evening.

Does anyone have any ideas to help with this? Anyone else in the same boat? I've always been known as "the cheerleader", ever the optimist...but this is making me crazy.

Yes! I am the exact same way!! Except for I will crave sweets over salty any day. I was never a Breakfast or lunch eater, and I hate taking the time to do it, but I have been trying really hard. I think I gained so much weight for the same reason, no exercise and eating all of my calories after 4pm. The hardest part for me is going to be eating 3 actual meals.

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been back, but things have been crazy with me studying and taking state board exams and the weird work schedule. I had my first fill last Saturday, and had 1.5cc put into my 4cc band. I'm kind of dissappointed that I don't feel any different (but my Dr. told me I probably wouldn't). Since my surgery on June 7th, I've only lost around 15lbs and I thought I should've lost more than that. I also have trouble with my husband trying to help me, but he says things like,"You better slow down and quit eating so much after I paid all that money for you to have this done." He says it in a joking manner, but it still makes me angry, because I don't eat nearly as much as I did before being banded. The main thing I'm looking for is how others are doing on the wt loss since being banded and what they're feeling after their first fill. Let me know so I can decipher if I'm doing things the wrong way.

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been back, but things have been crazy with me studying and taking state board exams and the weird work schedule. I had my first fill last Saturday, and had 1.5cc put into my 4cc band. I'm kind of dissappointed that I don't feel any different (but my Dr. told me I probably wouldn't). Since my surgery on June 7th, I've only lost around 15lbs and I thought I should've lost more than that. I also have trouble with my husband trying to help me, but he says things like,"You better slow down and quit eating so much after I paid all that money for you to have this done." He says it in a joking manner, but it still makes me angry, because I don't eat nearly as much as I did before being banded. The main thing I'm looking for is how others are doing on the wt loss since being banded and what they're feeling after their first fill. Let me know so I can decipher if I'm doing things the wrong way.

Boy, oh boy! I sure hope there isn't a right and wrong to this thing! LOL

Actually, other than chewing and no Water with eating, I don't know of any hard and fast rules. I can tell you what I do, which is log every bite I put into my mouth every day on My-Calorie-Counter.com. I always stay under 800 calories (except for once), but many times have around 600 calories a day. I drink tons of Water, I don't excercise (but I flip houses, so I get enough of a workout!). I really need to start formally excercising...did you know that the band will give gastric bypass a run for it's money if you excercise?!?!? I think that is awesome, but have yet to try that theory. LOL I try to eat a little bit several times a day. I don't deprive myself of much at all, but monitor quantities severely.

As you will see is common with most folks on here, I had restriction for about three days after my fill, which was at three weeks after surgery. I got 3CC's in my small AP band. I'm going again Monday for a second fill, and that will be about six weeks from surgery. I can eat much more at a sitting than I should, and I don't know how long I can be "good"! LOL

My lifesaver really has been My-Calorie-Counter.com. I didn't have a clue about labels and calories before being banded. In fact, I had never been on a diet in my life...I watched my Mom and sister do it enough to know that I was not interested. Being banded and living with the band doesn't feel like a diet to me...just a life-change/adventure.

Every day is a party! :biggrin1:

LADIES AND GENTS!!!!

Would you please check out my exercise ticker?????????? I officially exceeded my July challenge. I set a challenge to walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I have found a good walking partner and a good place to walk. Once around is 2 miles (usually takes 40 minutes)---yes I know that's a long time, but some slow exercise is better than no exercise!!

Today we actually went around 2 times ---YEP I SAID IT---4 MILES FOR ME!!! (THE ONE WHO HATES EXERCISE!!!)

HEY 15 lbs is 15 bloody lbs. That's a big huge pile of fat and now it's not on you.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: as I was reminded yesterday, THIS IS NOT A RACE

bigbaby you rock for your exercising. I was going to pretend I didn't have to do it today but you have inspired me. Thanks:rockon:

Now the reason I don't want to exercise is I went out for lunch with the girls and ate 3 courses ( I don't think I have any restriction, whadaya think???) Damn I wish I hadn't done that. Marga

OK, It's hard to explain to those of you who drink very little Water. I have ALWAYS been a huge Water drinker. If I go out to dinner (pre-band) I would drink 3-5 glasses of water. Now I drink about 1/2 glass. My NP says that is great that I have cut back that much, but does still push me to avoid drinking.

I'm always thirsty. I was tested for diabetes insipidus a long time ago, Lol. I'm normal, just thirsty. My first fill is tomorrow, so I'll talk to the NP again... maybe she has more suggestions. But ice water is one of my weaknesses.

(My granny used to be afraid I would get water toxicity cause I drink so much. Nope, I'm FINE!)

Suzzie, I could have written this....seriously. It has been the hardest thing to control for me. I am doing okay with it...but it is a struggle.

I haven't told anyone about being banded except my husband and parents specifically for the food POLICE aspect. I hate it and would probably eat to spite people (nice, huh? i may need therapy on that one, lol).

My husband thinks the first time I eat with anyone they will know because I won't be drinking 5 glasses of water with the meal. I think for the most part people are too self-absorbed to notice much about anyone else, unless they are specifically told. We will see!

LADIES AND GENTS!!!!

Would you please check out my exercise ticker?????????? I officially exceeded my July challenge. I set a challenge to walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I have found a good walking partner and a good place to walk. Once around is 2 miles (usually takes 40 minutes)---yes I know that's a long time, but some slow exercise is better than no exercise!!

Today we actually went around 2 times ---YEP I SAID IT---4 MILES FOR ME!!! (THE ONE WHO HATES EXERCISE!!!)

That is awesome!

:clap2: