Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Well I just thought I would let you all know that I had my first fill today!! It was kind of crazy though! I called in this morning to "ask" if they would go ahead and give me one this week welllll today is the only day this week the surgeon is in the office and he likes to do his own fills sooooo there ya have it! I still feel pretty good. I had a shake when I got home (it had been 5 hrs since anything had hit my stomach) It went down really good and easy! I am to be on liquids today and tomorrow then slowly progress back through mushies etc. He put about 1 1/2 cc in my 10 cc band! It was weird when they were having me drink while doing the fill because when they put 2 cc in I couldn't get Water to go all the way down!! I was like WOW that's unreal! Oh yeah and even after going to a family reunion that lasted ALLLLLLL weekend with nothing but BBQ Gumbo Fried chicken pot roast etc I STILL lost 2 lbs from Fri to today!! WOOOHOOOOO I was excited!

Huntersmom, what a cool idea, I agree with FarmerE, when and where? Maybe after our 3-6 months?

bigbaby, someone at work just told me about the individually wrapped talapia at walmart!

nina the Grace Jerk Seasoning sounds GREAT, I love that kind of stuff. I will look for it.

toni I am so jealous of you! keep us posted when you start eating again. Do you have to go back on liquids for every fill? I would like it!

I think I had a good food day, I need to count it all up. I really have not been counting the calories, but sticking to the portion size and the three meals a day.

Does anyone know if the focus on Protein in the beginning is because we are on liquids and after we are on all foods we should eat Protein because it fills you up more? Not really for the nutrition value and that once on total food you don't need the 60 grams as much? I am thinking it is different than bypass, where they stress protein due to deficiency. Or am I off totally???

Holli, so great, let us know if you feel any restriction when you start to eat

I wanna come to a get together. I was planning a trip to the states next year anyway. Somewhere warm, it's about 45 F today and raining (that's pretty cold even for Melbourne)

Good job Holli!

The Protein is stressed by my doc's nutrionist so that we don't get sick and lose hair or have liver problems. She suggests 40-60grams after surgery.

Hi all - just checking in. I have been reading every day, but I guess I haven't had much to say. I am glad everyone is doing well. I would be up for getting together in '08. Vegas sounds great! It will be our 10th anniversary next year and we were married in Vegas, we have talked about a trip back in '08 anyway.

I had my first fill today. Doc was happy with my 11lbs lost since last seeing him - he said is that you or the band? As much as I love my band, I did take the credit, because I didn't have much restriction at all. I could eat way more than I should, I have just been trying really hard to control my portions and make good food choices. I have to keep up with my husband - he is down 65lbs and 2 pants sizes! :):) He also has the ugly side of the band though - sliming and PB's and he hasn't had a fill yet. But he is learning to work with it. He knows he has to drink a glass of Water when he wakes up and then wait awhile to eat, then stay away from bread.< /p>

My biggest struggle has been not snacking in the evening when I am watching TV. That is really the only thing I miss. I found dill pickle sunflower seeds - great replacement for salty high fat potato chips. I have a few through-out the evening to satisfy that craving.

keep up the great work! :clap2: Have a good week.

I've come to the conclusion that Hair loss is inevitable for lots of folks. I changed my eating habits in preparation for this surgery back in early February and had lost 44lbs pre-op. I've been faithfully tracking my intake on fitday and have been getting from 80-100 grams of Protein every day faithfully (until surgery-since then I've been getting at least 65 grams), I take two MVI's a day and have been getting my Calcium. My hair is still falling out and is ridiculously blah looking. I have been a "shedder" since I got my first salon spiral perm when I was about 15, at that time I lost about 1/3 of my hair volume, it never came back.

I've also made sure that my MVI has a good amount of Biotin in it (I get about 3-4mg/day). It still falls out. I think it will just happen with fat loss. I hope though that it will grow back. My hair is long, as in looong, to my considerable a$$. I will be DEVASTATED if it doesn't grow back, I haven't cut it in years, I don't want to!!!!!!! I don't want to have to because I lose so much!!!!!

Okay, trying to control myself here...

Whew!

I've read everyday as well, and like Faith, just haven't had much to say!

Anyway, I think a Vegas '08 trip is a must!! I used to live there as well, and one of my best friends is there! I would love to show up 100 lbs lighter than when she last saw me... (she doesn't know about the surgery!) So count me in!

I would LOVE to know how y'all prepare that tilapia. I bought ten of them and when I cooked it, it was 100% tasteless and disgusting! So I still have nine left...and I love tilapia! I don't know what I did wrong? :help:

Well, I did it. I changed my fill appointment from the 30th to the 23rd. That will be two fills in roughly six weeks, but I just don't feel any restriction from the first and I believe I am ready for the second. But we'll see how it goes. My first fill was 3CC's, and I'm hoping for another 3CC's. Aside from things getting "stuck" once in a while, I can hardly feel that I'm banded at all! :)

Has anyone else been having sleeping issues? I'm either dead tired or have so much energy I can't sleep (like right now). UGH this sucks. I'm such a sleeper, if my schedule gets messed up I can't concentrate at work at all!

I would like to go to Vegas. I think that would be fun to meet everyone, I just would have to know as long as possible. Because I work offshore it is sometimes hard to get someone to relieve me with little notice.

Pippz: I also have a hard time sleeping. Sometimes I get so so tired and when I go to lay down I can't get to sleep.< /p>

lo2us I did not think that the hair loss/liver was as high a concern as gastric bypass. I am still getting Protein, because that is what will keep us full.

faith sorry to hear about your Hair loss. I have a wicked head of hair, and I shed more than my dog, always did. but I am not concerned at this point because of my hair volume my hairstylest brags about. But I will keep an eye on it!

mj/heather Great to hear from you! GREAT weight loss mj and dh!

stef I cook it in a variety of ways. because it cooks so fast, you may want to only cook what you are going to eat. I use lemon, lime, lemon/pepper, cajun seasoning, ground pepper, pepper blend, salsa after it is cooked. I also have spread light mayo and chopped onions and put it in tin foil and bake. All the above is not all at once of course!! also the butter spray, with the seasoning of your liking. Hope this helps.

I *would* go to Vegas, if it weren't in another country!

Hmmm, I have a friend who invited me to visit her in NY any time I want. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. I will fit comfortably in the plane seat this time next year.

Ja9va - You're probably right and it's not as bad a gastric patients. My Doc, therapists, and nutritionist just preach to the Protein every time I see them!

Faith - I'm hate to hear about your hair. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Good work everyone!