Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can too much water in a short period of time stretch your pouch?

I just woke up and consumed, while not thinking about it, 22 oz of Water in a relatively short time (20-30 min). No food yet though. Now I'm paranoid! Did I stretch my pouch? On the other side, wow I can't believe that at 1 wk post op I could drink so much so fast! Last week it took me half the afternoon for that!

liquids go straight on through...i was concerned about this also after my surgery and that is what my dr told me....dont worry....just heal and relax and enjoy a better/healthier life..

It probably took you longer after surgery because of the swelling. I have to remember too not to drink so fast. My brother is banded and for him if he drinks after eating it all comes back up.

Whew....thanks guys. I was really worried!

Just FYI, and I know this is really nitpicky, but technically what you have is a sleeve, not a pouch. A pouch is what you get if you get RNY.

mommyjamie...a pouch is what you get also when you are lap-banded...but Water is something that doesn't stay in either the sleeve or pouch long...it runs right through. keep up the good work!!!

Sorry I know it's a sleeve... But since mine is so new and swollen I've been calling it my little food pouch

It takes more than one big helping of Water to stretch your sleeve/pouch...really MUCH MUCH more... so don't worry, right now you are still in the healing stage; and if you can get a LOT of Water in, get it in there... it helps...

Good luck to you, and relax, you've GOT THIS!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Shortly before my surgery I asked my surgeon if the pouch could be stretched by liquids as well as solids. Her response - "Absolutely". In the case of gastric bypass, the pouch is often equated to a funnel. Wider opening at the top with a narrower opening at the bottom. Since the pylorus (the valve at the bottom of the former stomach) is no longer in the path that food and liquids take, it is true that liquids pass through more quickly. But as is the case with any funnel, it is possible to put liquids in faster than they are going out. In the case of a funnel, it overflows. In the case of a pouch, it stretches. That does not automatically mean that it stretches beyond its ability to return to its original size. It is highly unlikely that one instance of "overdrinking" will result in any significant detrimental effect. But it does mean that the possibility of over stretching exists if someone were to make a habit of drinking too much too fast.

In the case of the sleeve, the pylorus is still present. The pylorus opens and closes periodically to allow food or liquids to pass through to the small intestine. So again, the possibility of drinking too much too fast could result in the sleeve stretching. And again, it is highly unlikely that one instance of "overdrinking" will result in any significant detrimental effect. And once again, it does mean that the possibility of over stretching exists if someone were to make a habit of drinking too much too fast.

I am not aware of any analytical studies that have been done to determine the statistical incidence of stretching of a pouch or sleeve. I suspect that it may be less common than some folks believe. That said, why take the chance? Whether eating or drinking, Portion Control along with slowing down are always good habits to develop.

Per my surgeon, a sleeve will not stretch very much. It will relax as the swelling goes down and your ability to consume more will increase as your stomach heals, but it will only stretch a little, even with abuse. Most of the stretchy part was cut away with surgery, leaving the muscle part which is much less giving.

Liquids (even carbonated) will not stretch a sleeve according to my doctor. Constantly over stuffing yourself with food may stretch it a bit, but nothing significant. It's the all day grazing and bad choices that usually causes regain.

:)

more good questions asked and answered. @@LipstickLady interesting insight from your doc. that makes sense to me...

With Lap band, liquids no NOT go straight through, unless your band is adjusted very loose, or has never been adjusted....

Think of a Funnel...you can pour liquid in slow and steady and it will pass through slow and steady....pour too much too fast and it does not have time to go through, and will over flow....

Listening to your band is key to everything...even when drinking Water with no food in your pouch.....over time I have adapted new ways of even drinking straight water.....and if I should forget myself, such as when working out and I take large gulps, it will come right back up and out...just as the funnel overflowing.

The thicker the liquids, the slower it will pass....the slower and more carefully I need to drink.

When that does happen, it can be accompanied by pain....just as any other time I overfill my pouch too fast for it to pass through the band....the pain I associated with stretching my pouch....but it is also a warning sign...the band speaking to me to slow it down....

Aside form all that, as regular maintenance, I will go all liquids for 2-3 days, every 5-8 weeks or so...I believe the pouch, being the same characteristics as the rest of the stomach, can and will stretch normally over time from normal use.........

Again, i have no personal experience with other surgeries, only life with the lap band.

And as with any other topic, you will get varying answers from many people...the band is adjustable and no 2 people will be exactly the same...which also says there is no definitive answer that applies to all banded people....what is true for one person, can be the exact opposite from the other person.

My pet peeve is when people think their way is the ONLY right and true way...making themselves "Experts"

My Dr. has shown me x-rays of stretched pouches.....from people constantly over eating - drinking even past the warning signals...it's not very pretty to say the least.....

Edited by B-52

I've had to be careful when drinking Water, more so first thing in the morning. If I try to chug it all down I will definitely feel it in my stomach, and be in pain shortly after.