Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV anyone?

LisaMG

Love the NSVs, everyone. I'll add one: A friend stopped by today who hadn't seen me in several weeks and told me that not only did I look fantastic, she didn't think I needed to lose any more weight! When I told her I'd like to lose 70-90 more pounds she said I was out of my mind. (OK, she was being kind, and I don't think average-size people have any idea what 200-300 pounds really look like, but still. . .) People at work have been paying me compliments. Even my mother, who together with my late father hounded me about my weight since childhood, said I looked good. I know I've barely started this weight-loss journey, but it sure is great to know other people are noticing what I've been obsessing about!

Pat, Non scale Victory, like wearing smaller clothes, able to cross your legs, wear your wedding ring, etc.

Zoe, you've done fantastic! All these people telling you how good you look! I bet you feel good, too!!

I know when someone tells me what NSV stands for I'm gonna feel so stupid!

NSV - non scale victory. Anything that makes you feel really good that has nothing to do with the numbers on a scale. ie.. fitting into a turnstyle with ease, not needing a seat belt extender on a plane. fitting into smaller jeans, having someone whistle at you while you're getting in your car, feeling your hip bones, collar bones, shoulders, seeing things you haven't seen in years..:devious shall I continue? lol

NSV - non scale victory. having someone whistle at you while you're getting in your car,:devious

And have you actually had this particular NSV yet, Leatha? I am so jealous!

And have you actually had this particular NSV yet, Leatha? I am so jealous!

LMAO. I wished. :D However, I can tell you that men smile at me and make eye contact a whole lot more than 67lbs ago. That's kinda sad, really, but it feels much nicer to not be totally ignored by 90% of the people you come in contact with on a daily basis.

Alas, I think my age has caught up with me. :D

Do you think it might be that we have a little bit more self-confidence and we are looking people in the eye more than before?

Do you think it might be that we have a little bit more self-confidence and we are looking people in the eye more than before?

That could be at least 50% of it? I know when I walk these days, I definitely walk with my head held higher and I may actually make myself more available by smiling more or yea.. presenting more self-confidence. Hmm...

Zoe, I can't imagine my mother telling me I look good. That's the best NSV yet!

Yeah, I have to admit I felt great after hearing that. Mind you, my once skinny mama has become a junk-food junkie since my father died, and has (to my amusement) packed on the pounds in the last several years. She offered me a bag of Cheetos when I visited last weekend, and even though she knows about my band she was stunned when I turned them down. She's become a lot more relaxed about fat issues in the last ten years -- partly because she's heavy herself now, of course, but also out of some genuine regret for being such a hard-ass when I was a kid, plus going through some rough times of her own which have made her more tolerant of others. I'm lucky in that both of us have been able to mend our once-rocky relationship now that she's getting Social Security and I'm middle-aged. Some parent-child connections are so damaged that they can never be repaired, but I'm grateful that my mother, while neurotic, is basically sane, and has been willing to meet me halfway; in my case, "Better late than never" applies.

(Sorry, that was kind of a thread hijack.)

big nsv for me..... went shopping and bought size 18 jeans.... not pants... yahooooo haven't been there in a long time...

Since I am not banded, I am not having that easy of a time YET but I do have one- about a year ago, I felt like I would never lose weight. I had lost all hope. I literally threw all of my clothes away. Well, at least I thought I had. I found my favorite pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear in 9 years (size 16-18) and a favorite sun dress from the same time (a large). Somehow they got put in a box of the kids keep sake baby clothes. I got so excited when I saw them and I thought "COOL! I better wash these up and put them in the closet! I will need these soon." It just occurred to me reading everyones posts that for me that is a NSV. I have hope![]