Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant w/ raging infection :-/ (DON'T GO TO MEXICO!)

Good lord.....

Okay, you're right. *I* made HUGE mistake, and it's not Mexico's fault. However, the effects of my mistake were compounded HUGELY by the fact that my surgery had been in Mexico.

And you're also right that I didn't do nearly enough research and I chose a cheap doctor. Instead of throwing that in my face (because that's obviously something that I already know) maybe you should commend the fact that I want others to learn from my mistakes. Even though it throws me under the wheels of judging people like you.

Believe it or not, I did not know of boards such as these. I talked to several of their former patients of theirs that had perfect experiences. And really wasn't sure where to go to find complaints. Afterall this is a foreign country.

Should we, who have these negative stories, keep quite for the sake of the rest of the innocent surgeons? Of course not.

For bubblebutt's peace of mind I will say that I'm sorry and that I didn't mean to incriminate EVERY dr in Mexico. LIKE I SAID in my original post, I'm sure there are several legitimate caring Mexican surgeons (maybe that part was skipped over by her), as well as TONS of success stories.

This is simply MY story. My experience. Just one person. Take it for what you wish....but don't try to discourage me when my intentions are to inform patients. The ugly side, though ugly, should be exposed as well.

This is simply MY story. My experience. Just one person. Take it for what you wish....but don't try to discourage me when my intentions are to inform patients. The ugly side, though ugly, should be exposed as well.

I never claimed otherwise and I never suggested you not warn people of the bad docs in Mexico. That simply isn't true and you know it. I have been very clear that I too, have warned people of your doctor. Your slams aren't going far with me.

My only point is not to paint the entire country with the same paintbrush, do your research, and don't go by price alone.

WasBubbleButt, This seems to be such a defensive subject for you, I know that you can't blame all Mexico Dr's for what has happened but the girl is angry, scared, and just wanted to vent, just like you did, we get your point. My father died of a massive staff infection 6 months after having his hip replaced in the states, infact it was in Texas. At that time I didn't have much faith in the Dr's in Texas because of the lack of laws for these surgeons further education. Staph is everywhere I know, my father wasn't treated with antibiotics after surgery, now you could argue that we didn't do our homework, this was before internet. We pay Dr's to do their job, thinking that they will. We all can't be Dr's,Nurses,Lawyers,etc.... or have friends that are, or know everything. The thing that stands out in my mind legally is when this went to court the Lawyers blamed the whole infection on dental work my father had done years ago in Mexico and got away with it. I know the world is getting worse, nobody takes responsability for any of their actions. Some of us are too trusting, I know that isn't good. Sunnysea

WasBubbleButt, This seems to be such a defensive subject for you, I know that you can't blame all Mexico Dr's for what has happened but the girl is angry, scared, and just wanted to vent, just like you did, we get your point. My father died of a massive staff infection 6 months after having his hip replaced in the states, infact it was in Texas. At that time I didn't have much faith in the Dr's in Texas because of the lack of laws for these surgeons further education. Staph is everywhere I know, my father wasn't treated with antibiotics after surgery, now you could argue that we didn't do our homework, this was before internet. We pay Dr's to do their job, thinking that they will. We all can't be Dr's,Nurses,Lawyers,etc.... or have friends that are, or know everything. The thing that stands out in my mind legally is when this went to court the Lawyers blamed the whole infection on dental work my father had done years ago in Mexico and got away with it. I know the world is getting worse, nobody takes responsability for any of their actions. Some of us are too trusting, I know that isn't good. Sunnysea

I know about this situation, you and I have discussed this a couple of times previously. But that isn't the same as a thread title warning people not to go to Mexico. Especially considering most posting in a poll asking where surgery was done had their surgery in Mexico.

I will stand up and speak my mind each and every single time someone portrays and entire country as being bad because of a single bad experience. I'm sorry the OP had a horrible experience, that isn't justification to slam an entire country. There are enough reasons to hate out there in this world today. To blame a country for a single person's actions is wrong. I'm quite sure a Mexican has had bad medical care in the US. Would we just sit back and pat their heads if they were posting on the internet to be wary of all US doctors and health care providers as though they are all bad? Hey, *I* am in medicine and I bust my back side to do things the right way. I work really hard and I don't take shortcuts. I do things the way I would want them done if I was the patient. I would be offended and rightfully so if I was blamed for the actions of one idiot.

Whether it is right or wrong is beside the point. With humans being in medicine people have to do their work, they have to research. The days of just trusting your doc are long gone. Sometimes we have little choice such as in an emergency. But having an elective procedure vs. emergency treatment means doing the leg work, doing the home work, researching everything possible.

Perhaps it is not a matter of being defensive, perhaps it is a matter of correcting a wrong. A very big wrong. Let's go after the really bad doctors in ALL countries. Let's make people aware of the mistakes of really bad doctors. Let's educate people. Let's show them HOW to research their doc. But... let's tell them the whole story, not the side told in anger and frustration.

Well first off, I want to tell you "sorry", and I hope you get better...And BEST of luck with the wonderful new baby on the way!!! And as for "Betancourt" and "Haucez"... We all make mistakes sometimes... And these two gentlemen have made many, and they are messing with many innocent peoples lives, and I feel it needs to stop! As for the lady that had a great experience.... Luck was on your side! My situation was much different and it affected not only me but my family! My post is on line and it is horrible .... Not only was there mistakes, but they also lied and ...ran out the back door when the Mexican and American Embassy showed up at the hospital. So if they have nothing to hide,, why run or lie... ????? I have'nt posted on here in a while and if you read my previous post I am not a bitter person, but I sincerly beleive that we should do our research more. And If you choose to go to a Dr. that has many complaints after you do your research... Hopefully Luck will be on your side! God Bless everyone.. And "Nataliesmommy" things will get better! And for the record, I am not here to "Bash" any Dr. or Mexico... All I am doing is sharing my experience, and hoping I will help someone of not making the mistake I made...

As for the lady that had a great experience.... Luck was on your side!

No, it wasn't. I worked really hard and made myself almost neurotic doing my research. "Luck" had nothing to do with it, my work and efforts did.

My situation was much different and it affected not only me but my family! My post is on line and it is horrible .... Not only was there mistakes, but they also lied and ...ran out the back door when the Mexican and American Embassy showed up at the hospital.

I am very interested in hearing more about this. If there is something we can do to stop these people from practicing medicine, we should. We won't unless we learn how to do that.

So if they have nothing to hide,, why run or lie... ????? I have'nt posted on here in a while and if you read my previous post I am not a bitter person, but I sincerly beleive that we should do our research more.

Thank you, this is what I have been saying. I *did* that yet you call it luck. I call it doing things the right way.

I am so sorry to hear of your complications, I truly hope that they are able to get rid of the infection. I can imagine you are scared as well as miserable. I hope the pregnancy goes splendidly despite the infection and that who knows they may even be able to save your band, but at this point I'd say your life and health are far important. Take care and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

What i'm curious about is wether or not you can sue a surgeon from another country, be it mexico, australia, or wherever for malpractice if their negligence led to something bad happening to you? I'm sure there are wonderful doctors everywhere as well as careless ones everywhere, but i wonder if you have the same rights going out of the country for medical services as you do here. (not that everyone who gets an infection gets it because of negligence...just wondering about malpractice specifically)

Natalie's Mommy, I'm so sorry for what you're going through ((((hugs)))) I will keep you and your precious baby in my prayers.

I was in Mexico on a vacation last December and I was reminded that in Mexico, "good enough" is, well, good enough. I used to travel to Mexico a lot as a child and I was reminded of the time that we were incredulously introduced to how they "made" drinking Water. "Don't drink the water", you know, as they say. We would dilligently use bottled Water even to rinse our toothbrushes, and we'd get water from the Sparkletts jug in the lobby, "knowing" it was safer than what came out of the tap. Until we came back to the hotel late one night and saw the workmen filling the Sparklett's jugs from a hose in the back of the hotel. :omg:

Can bad things happen in the US or anywhere else? Of course they can. The difference is you can't sue your Mexican doctor or hospital, so they just keep on "practicing".

What i'm curious about is wether or not you can sue a surgeon from another country, be it Mexico, australia, or wherever for malpractice if their negligence led to something bad happening to you? I'm sure there are wonderful doctors everywhere as well as careless ones everywhere, but i wonder if you have the same rights going out of the country for medical services as you do here. (not that everyone who gets an infection gets it because of negligence...just wondering about malpractice specifically)

No. Not in Mexico. They have laws protecting them from Americans. We tend to be quite sue happy. In Mexico if you want to sue for medical malpractice you must be a Mexican Citizen.

Interesting, they don't have the medical malpractice issues we have in the US. They don't sue as we do in the US. If you are allergic to a drug they don't see that as a medical malpractice issue as we do in the US. Amazingly, they see that as just something that happens.

itsyvonnne

"Well, I don't have any comment about the quality of care in Mexico, but I know in Kansas it is no longer worth going to Mexico because the cost of getting the band plus 1 year follow-up is about $11,000."

itsyvonne,

Would you please send me the doctor name /number for this doctor if you have it. please i am on a mission to make this happen. thank.

I too am sorry for what has happend to you, but I have heard nothing but bad things about Betancourt and I have not been on this board for very long. I went to Mexico and was very happy and still am very happy with the treatment I recieved. The surgeon that I chose(Dr. Ortiz) has a lot of experience and I never heard one bad thing about the guy. I would go to Mexico again. Plus I am only ten minutes from his office!

Stacy

As for "sueing" it is possible.. But very very hard, and if you look up your doctor.. Alot of them have a address in the US.. Which means u can sue.. They have this address to do the same. To make sure they can get their money if necessary. I was told that it is possible and there has already been lawsuits done. But as for me... I couldnt find a attorney to touch it.. so goodluck and if you do find out something that I dont know... please share..: )

Not to cause more inflammation (no pun intended) to the story, I too had my surgery in mexico, and had complications 4 days out. Yes I vomitted blood/coffee grounds and could not even get Water down. The good thing was I chose a doctor close enough to return to, which I did without even talking to him. I just showed up at the hospital and they took me immediately. I was hospitalized for two full days and had the best care. I was happy with my doctor and was not charged an extra fee. Since i have had the band I have not returned as I have not needed the fill. Like everyone has said it is very important to check out as much info as possible. I met patients he had operated on and really questioned everyone I could find who he had worked on. I stand behind my doctor (thought I was frustrated at first) and would go to him again. I can see how the second lady was trying to make sure we all saw the whole picutre, but there has been a lot of slamming of mexican doctors. Living in Houston I have also heard a lot of negative about the famed Dr. Spiegal- the moral of this story is we all must do our homework and have a plan for post op care -this is a BIG -Huge- deal! Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy as mucha s you can- this isnt something you can "do over"- Put your fate in Gods hands and know you and your baby will be fine! If God gave you this blessing amist all the other drama, there is a reason for your child and think of this as a blessing- everything will get better!! I will be praying for you both!!! Good luck!:)