Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant w/ raging infection :-/ (DON'T GO TO MEXICO!)

Wow! Are some paying 40K? I am a self pay here in the US with a certified lap band doc who has done hundreds since day one (that they became FDA approved) He has a great reputation in our area and hasn't had a slip in over 3 years... my cost is $14K (surgeon, hospital, and anesthesia). I know it's cheaper than that in Mexico... but 40K?? Really?? My parents first house cost that much!! Seriously, I'm shocked! Is this true? Who and where are they, and is the band made of gold!!??

The surgeons available to do this procedure were few and far between years ago. They could charge more because there weren't enough surgeons doing the procedure. Now there are, so prices are coming down.

I doubt many get $40K, but they try. :eek:

hottytoddy - OH stand for obesity help - it's another site about wls.

as you can see by earlier post on this tread wasabubble has some issues with that site and people who come from it. Why I don't know.

I have to say that wasabubblebutt is a smart lady - she stands my her opinion like mt everesst - and most things are very black & white with her. (imho) But I can tell you from reading these boards - she seems very knowlegable. Just a little strong and a tad bit abrasive and is someone who very much follows the rules and seems to make the rest of us (me) feel a lttle threaten.

I read somewhere that she has had complications (i don't think it was stated what these compleication are from) with her band and is on about 800 caliores a day and has lost 70 lbs in 5 month. She seems very dedicate in her goal to lose weight and i wish her the best

But I agree I wish she would lighten up a bit - lwe come here to learn and not to be scholded like we were in school -

Before i get my hands slapped = I am not attacking as I do respect Wasabubblebutts wl efforts and the trials & tribuation that she has gone through.

No, I did not contradict myself at all. All docs have complications. That does not mean the same as all docs have complications with every single patient. Just like all people eat food, that is not the same as saying all people eat food every single minute of everyday.

No need to lighten up, but the OH people are getting a bit annoying.

???? What does that have to do with anything. You originally said you weren't lucky about having zero complications with your surgery because the reason you had no complications was because you did your research. If all docs have complications, yes I know, not with every patient, then why in the world would you NOT consider yourself lucky to have not been one of the "unlucky" ones? That's all....

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

???? What does that have to do with anything. You originally said you weren't lucky about having zero complications with your surgery because the reason you had no complications was because you did your research. If all docs have complications, yes I know, not with every patient, then why in the world would you NOT consider yourself lucky to have not been one of the "unlucky" ones? That's all....

Peace Out!

If I do my research and go to a doctor that has a great reputation and a fantastic track record and I have a good experience, how much of that is luck and how much of that is I went to a doc that is good?

If I don't do my research, I go to one of the cheapest docs around, I pick the doc that has one of the worst reputations in his country where numerous people come home with life threatening infections, how much of that was a matter of not doing my research as a patient vs. having bad luck?

Do you actually believe in true luck? Can you demonstrate how "luck" actually exists?

If the surgeon I go to chooses to follow the standard of care and gives me Lovenox to prevent blood clots but I throw a clot anyway, that is a complication. It doesn't make it the doctor's fault but it is still a complication nonetheless. Thus, at some point in time all docs have complications.

If my doc chooses not to follow the standard of care and not give me Lovenox before surgery and I throw a clot, that is also a complication. It is most likely the doc's fault.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what is so difficult about this concept.

But I can tell you from reading these boards - she seems very knowlegable. Just a little strong and a tad bit abrasive and is someone who very much follows the rules and seems to make the rest of us (me) feel a lttle threaten.

You know what? That's me. That's my writing style. That's how I am. Some people are full of drama, they are belittle others, intimidate newbies, and they are annoying while others come on strong. If you don't like it then feel free to use the ignore feature.

I never claimed that writing is my forte, it is not. If I knew how to get what is in my head to my computer screen to please you... maybe I'd do it. Likely not but maybe. Again, if you don't like it then feel free to use the ignore feature. It is there for a reason.

But to play these games.. it is getting mighty old. This isn't OH, the drama and game playing doesn't fly over here the way it does in other forums.

This isn't OH, the drama and game playing doesn't fly over here the way it does in other forums.

no drama or game playing HERE...

Peace Out!

[/color]I can point you to a website where docs are being "monitored" by the board of medicine because they are pedophiles, drug addicts, participate in kinky and illegal behaviors, etc.

Yes, please point me to this website. Seriously.

Yes, please point me to this website. Seriously.

Oh, NOW you are serious? Does this mean you were not serious on the other thread? The other thread was for fun and games?

Why do you feel a need to let me know when you are actually serious?

This site is about views and opinions, and everyone is entitled to theirs. I guess I can't understand why opinions can't be expressed, and even debated, with kindness. This thread has been anything but supportive to nataliesmommie. I am being banded in 10 days and came here for answers, advice and support. Well, let's just say I'm not exactly feeling the love here! Somebody please wave a white flag!!!! Through complications, successes and failures...We are all in this together!

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! :) :think :tired :kiss2: :grouphug: :amen:

hottytoddy,

yeah.....I couldn't agree more......where did expressing ones opinion with love vanish?.......No matter what the circumstances....WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.....NOBODY IS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE......JUST DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.

WITH LOVE,

LORI ANN

I too am sorry for what has happend to you, but I have heard nothing but bad things about Betancourt and I have not been on this board for very long. I went to Mexico and was very happy and still am very happy with the treatment I recieved. The surgeon that I chose(Dr. Ortiz) has a lot of experience and I never heard one bad thing about the guy. I would go to Mexico again. Plus I am only ten minutes from his office!

Stacy

Dr Ortiz is the best I was banded by him in October 2006.

Also my point in posting this thread is that hopefully one would do much research before choosing a surgeon. If I had known of all the complaints from patients on this website alone about my surgeon, my health would not be in such danger as it is now.

This board (and others) were wonderful in helping me make my decision who to go to in Mexico. I had found Dr. Rumbaut's site via a search engine, but then I also searched his name on forums like this to get reports from a 3rd party. I had a wonderful experience. Even though I have now found a wonderful doctor here for fills, I still want to make it back to Mexico in a year just to check in with his office.

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience, though.

I can point you to a website where docs are being "monitored" by the board of medicine because they are pedophiles, drug addicts, participate in kinky and illegal behaviors, etc.

I would also be interested in seeing this site.

There is a lot of contradictory info posted on this board, sometimes by the same posters. There are posters who try to intimidate and bully. Just like any other messaging board community. Try to ignore such posters.

This is a great forum for discussion and opinion, but I hope no one is using this as a research tool (or at least not as their only research tool).

There is a lot of contradictory info posted on this board, sometimes by the same posters.

I agree!

Peace Out!

Bravo! I appreciate your intelligent reply. Have you any info on Dr Alexander Quiroz in TJ/ He works with Dr Owens in the US. So my follow-up will be with the US Dr., close to home. Dr. Owens is one of the pioneers in this type of surgery from what I have read and works closely with Dr. Quiroz. Any feedback? thanks!

MoonFlower... what di you find out about this union of doctors? I was told that Dr Lopez works with Dr Owens... were you looking at the lap bad or the Plastic surgery part... I am curious to know what you found out...