Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For a while now I have been dealing with the fact I am what might be considered a "slow loser". I had my surgery on 10/21 and have lost 51lbs post operatively, 84lbs over all. I try my best not to compare myself to others, but it sure is rough when one of my besties was sleeved 12/17 and has lost over 100lbs to date! ( starting from his 12/7 preop diet ) Ok, he is a big guy and men lose faster than women...blah blah blah. All I see is I am two months ahead of him yet many pounds behind him. For a while this really bothered me. In fact, it would probably be a lie to say I don't still have a tinge of jealousy. But then I think "I weigh 232 lbs today" I haven't weighed 232lbs since I was in my mid twenties. I am just a few pounds from 220s. And just 33 lbs from "onederland". I have not weighed under 200lbs since before I was married in 1995. And here is the kicker, while I do still have to lose that 33lbs I am still losing weight. I will be the very first to confess I have not been the "perfect" sleeve patient. Had I logged every bite taken, measured every bit of food and then went to the gym and worked those calories off then I too would be further down than I am. But this is my life, I am living it. I do try hard to make wise choices. I always try to get my Protein first. I do contemplate what I will be eating. But every now and then I slip and eat something I shouldn't. And instead of logging hours at the gym I have spent more time doing things with my 5 year old. My friend who has lost all the weight has been to the gym 24 of the last 30 days. He gets up in the wee hours of the morning and goes. He has a personal trainer. I have a 5 year old. We don't have the same lives, so it is unrealistic of me to think we would have the same weight loss. The thing is, I am losing. Maybe it is slow, maybe it isn't. While I have definite problem areas that may be improved with exercise, he works out constantly and still has problem areas. At the end of the day I am successful in my journey and so is he. We have approached it entirely different, but we are both losing. When he started he was over 400lbs. When I started I was over 300lbs. Neither of us are where we started, and neither of us are finished. So slow weight loss is better than no weight loss. I know there are things I can do to amp up the burn once I get to the point where living my life with the sleeve isn't enough to lose. That is sort of refreshing actually. Because I don't know if my friend has anywhere he can go once his loss slows down or stops. I just wish him well and hope he gets to his ideal....I just wish I get to mine first!!!

Keep at it, honey. Slow and steady wins the race.

To put it into perspective, I've 'only' lost 60lbs since 19th September. I am deffo a slow loser - but I'm a happy one.

You've lost 84lbs. That's AMAZING!

The thing that is most telling in weight loss comparisons, is BMI. He started off a LOT heavier than you.

What BMI is he rocking at the moment, because I find there's great parity in those figures between different peoples rates of loss, their stalls and where they end up...

Maybe focus on that part and it won't seem like you're failing in comparison... x

Women should never compare themselves to men at weight loss. Especially not ones that have a lot of weight to lose.

Keep doing what you're doing because apparently you're doing it right, you're weight loss is very efficient. All the best to you in your journey.

Not sure if going by BMI would make me feel better..I started at 55.97 and I am currently 41.09. He started at 50.12 and is currently at 37.24. I have lost slightly more than he has in BMI but.... He is now class 2 morbid obesity and I am still class 3. Ugh!!! Oh well, slow is better than no!

It is harder to move BMI points than it is to move pounds, if that makes any sense.

You're doing brilliantly.

Maybe evaluate by percentage of weight loss. :) I bet you're not that far off and maybe even ahead.

slow weight loss is better than no weight loss.

@@Roo101769

great expression and attitude :)

"the one thing we all have in common is that we're all different "

"Never, ever, ever compare yourself to others" :o (weight loss, time period et al)

people have been shot for less!!!! :D

that being said............easier said than done (in not comparing to others :wacko:)

i can only imagine your frustration that your weight isn't dropping as quickly as your male friend

but like OP have mentioned - guys lose faster than women (NOT FAIR :angry: )

even though chasing after a 5 year old is exercise too (mental and physical ;) )

you also mentioned you messed up a "little", and don't exercise like him, or log

if you can improve on any of the above that would be helpful/great :)

losing 33 lbs pre-op shows your committment to your weight loss

now losing another 51 lbs post op isn't exactly shabby ;)

you "might" be a slow loser, but i think you are a quick winner :)

keep up the good job (I know you will :) )

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

Roo!

• Starting Weight: 316 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 84 lbs
  • Total weight to lose: 176lbs
  • Current Weight: 232 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs

84/176 = 0.477 x 100 = 47% of the way there!

In about 6 months?! That's pretty darn good, if you ask me?!!

I agree with Revs. You are halfway there just since October. That's fabulous!

At my fastest I only lost 2 lbs a week. Now post-honeymoon I only lose 1 lb a week. And some people lose only a lb or two a month.

No pity party for you, you are not a slow loser ;p

Same date 10/21. Lost 67 since high weight and 53 from surgery. Track everything. Exercise 6 days a week. More stalls then not...but hey rocking a size 8 or 10 depending and still obese on the bmi chart. Going for overweight! I want to lose 30 more vi twill happen. Keep doing what you are doing!!