Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I signed in and poked around got the message "Hey Sissy907 you haven't posted in awhile, why don't you say hi or answer some questions!!"

So here I am. Frustrated and angry. Still no band. I had a sleep study a few nights ago so I should hear about the results of that in a week or so. That is really my last shot at getting the band without having to gain more weight. And on that note, do you know in all this time TRYING to gain weight, eating whatever I want and how much I want (acctually trying to stuff myself to over full) and drinking 3-4 ensure plus shakes a day I havent gained any weight? This makes no sense to me, and is frustrating. Just 10-20 lbs would do it and I would be on my way to health! So since I have had little luck gaining, and I honestly dont think I have any trouble with sleep apnea, I am fearing it will be a cold day in hell until I get my band.

On an upside I am applying for a new job at a vet clinic here, I would really enjoy time out of the house, without thinking about my weight and other issues. Maybe they offer health insurance that will pay for this... Who knows.

So hi everyone! Sorry I am not feeling more positive about all of this. Hope everyone is having a lovely spring and enjoys a great time with their family for Easter!!

Because I am just under the cut off (36.8 BMI) and I have no co-morbidities. -Unless I have sleep apnea, which I highly doubt, but will find out the results in a weekish. So gaining 10-20 lbs is that fastest and easiest way to get the band, but I am having trouble gaining!

To read the rest of my story you can click my name and search my other posts if you want the whole low down!

Alli

what exatly doesnt seem right? I have nothing to hide. ask away. funny how some feel that way and yet others on this site suggested I just go ahead with gaining the little bit of weight I would need to get the band...

Research me.. I have no conflicting stories...

I actually did go back and read your other posts because it sounded so strange that you were trying to gain weight in order to lose weight.

Amazing how quick the medical industry is to label someone "morbidly obese" but once they're asked to cut a check to fix the problem, you're suddenly not fat enough.

Girl, I hate insurance companies--I'm a self-payer myself. Best of luck to you.

:)

Sissy---maybe that's what I needed to do---try to GAIN weight---trying to lose it sure never worked for me before!!!

I'm not questioning your situation at all---I wish I had pursued getting the band before the weight had gotten so out of hand. I think you are very wise taking control now!!!

I just had to laugh, that trying to gain was the ONE diet thing I hadn't tried!!!

Good Luck to you!!!

Kat

Here we are trying to lose weight and most of us are at the point where we're so big that we've lost the will or don't have the ability to lose weight, so we get this tool to help us throughout the process. Then, here comes along someone who isn't that big but wants the surgery. To me, that's copping an easy way out. It's a tool, not an easy way to lose weight and I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but to me, someone who was 300 pounds, you're not using it as a tool or a last resort, you're just copping out and gaining weight just to get the surgery is just wrong. The doctors obviously know what they're talking about and if there isn't a single doctor out there who would do the surgery on you cause your bmi is too low, then that is because it isn't a last resort for you. This tool is supposed to be a final resort, not a cop out.

Hate me for thinking this way, but come on.

Here we are trying to lose weight and most of us are at the point where we're so big that we've lost the will or don't have the ability to lose weight, so we get this tool to help us throughout the process. Then, here comes along someone who isn't that big but wants the surgery. To me, that's copping an easy way out. It's a tool, not an easy way to lose weight and I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but to me, someone who was 300 pounds, you're not using it as a tool or a last resort, you're just copping out and gaining weight just to get the surgery is just wrong. The doctors obviously know what they're talking about and if there isn't a single doctor out there who would do the surgery on you cause your bmi is too low, then that is because it isn't a last resort for you. This tool is supposed to be a final resort, not a cop out.

Hate me for thinking this way, but come on.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea whether or not this girl has a diet history. Just because someone might be "smaller" doesn't mean they don't have a severe weight history. Most of us can succeed at losing weight, we just can't keep it off. And just because someone isn't as heavy as you were, doesn't mean that they don't have a weight problem. Who are you to judge her for wanting to make herself healthier? She may not be considered "morbidly obese" medically, but she is still "severely obese". She has the same right as you do to try and lose weight. And if this is the only way she can lose her extra pounds, who are you to tell her she's wrong? We get enough crap from the rest of the people in our lives about being too fat, we don't need crap from other fat people because we aren't fat enough for them to accept us.

Attitudes like that really burn me. When I went to a required group therapy program at my last surgeon's practice, I got lots of remarks like, "But you're so small!" Small, my ass. I may have been smaller than them, but I was by no means small.

And really, who are you to judge someone that is wanting to take care of their obesity before they reach the point where they've lost hope?

I agree, I may go 'I *WISH* I had to 'gain' weight to qualify' :confused:

But, 37 BMI is high enough to need it, with or without gaining weight, so if that's what it takes, I can understand it. I know when I was 90lbs lighter than I am now (after dieting), I was still fat and needed more pushing, yet.. I didn't and now I've ballooned back up plus some. So, I won't judge.

Thank you Lauren and Larua! :D

:confused: Revolution-Who the hell are you to judge me? Because you weighed 300+ lbs that gives you more right than me to have this "tool"? I guess because I only have a little over 100 lbs to loose then I should just stop eating so much and excersize my way back to health right? PULEEZ You do not know what has put me where I am today. And because I happen to be a "healthy" fat person because I don't eat loads of foods laiden with calories and cholesterol that would give me high blood pressure and diabetes and all the rest I some how dont DESERVE to have this?

How many people that DONT qualify in the states go to Mexico to have this done as a preventive surgery? Do you think they dont deserve this either? Or is it more because I am a military wife, and it would be YOUR tax dollars paying for my "friviolus" surgery so I might live long enough to see my grandchildren born? Cause lord knows any fat person who puts thier mind to it can just stop eating so much, and put forth SOME effort to excersize and the pounds will just fall off right?? And its SCIENTIFICALLY proven that those that arent as obese as you are/were, the pounds will fall off reasier for me than you right? And GAWD forbid someone on this Gawd forsaken earth might want to do something about their weight getting out of hand before it gets insanely out of hand and they "loose their will and desire" (is that what you said?) to even care about it like you right???

Just because I dont have the top three comorbidities to qualify me for this surgery doesnt mean I dont have weight related issues. Just because the United States doesnt do this surgery as a preventive doesnt mean I dont DESERVE this surgery. Just because I am having to fight my way thru the militarys STRICTER than civilian rules to have this surgery doesnt mean I dont DESERVE this surgery. Just because I cant manage a self pay right now doesnt mean I dont DESERVE this surgery. Just because I want to take care of me while I only have a little over one hundred pounds to loose doesnt mean I dont DESERVE this surgery. Just because you have much more to loose than me DOESNT mean you deserve it more than me.

Its not like I am trying to gain fifty or more pounds to have this done. Frankly it pisses me off no end to have to gain any weight at all, I mean if I gain ten pound and they agree to do it they will put me on a preop diet and guess what I will loose?? TEN POUNDS! So what exactly is the point?

Well apparently I have to please the "man" -not just the militarys lame ass rules but your insane decision to tell me because I am TEN pounds away from having a happier healthier me I dont DESERVE it... I didnt think that fat people were so judgemental of other fat people. Thanks for introducing me to this Revolution. It was kind of you to show the new "not fat enough" chick the ropes around here...

And just so we are "square" I NEVER said I was looking for an easy way out. And I never said this WAS the easy way. I, just like you, are looking for a tool to help me be ACCOUNTABLE, for my work -or lack there of, in loosing my "measly" 100 pounds.

NOTE:

To the friendly people: I dont mean any of the above as an insult to those that understand or even asked questions because they didnt understand. I dont mean any disrespect to those who went to mexico for their surgeries, because they qualified or not. This is strictly for Revolution who wants to insult and degrade someone who isnt "fat enough" in his eyes....

I started this WLS journey at 289 pounds. I have got myself down to the 200 range now (well me and my band). There are people I talk to daily, who are celebrating being where I was when I started---and they have already lost a lot of weight! We all come at this at different weights, and different health issues. The one thing that all Dr.'s agree on is that obesity is dangerous to our health.

When I went to my first seminar, the Dr. there, was so excited, you could see the spark that pushed him to become a Dr., and he was telling us that he fully believes this type of surgery, or the things we will learn from this will help to eliminate diabetes---and eventually obesity in other ways. He said in his opinion almost all diabetics regardless of weight would benefit from this surgery. My PCP here, is taking his wife to Mexico for the surgery, and she is only 45 pounds overweight, but she is diabetic. Obesity is dangerous. The blood pressure may not be up now, but it will be eventually. Do we really think that Sissy should wait until her organs are being damaged before she is offered the same help we wanted? 100 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I would imagine with a personal trainer, strict diet, etc. she might be able to lose it---but statistics show it will NOT stay off. Now she is a yo-yo statistic too.

It looks to me as if you only had 45 more pounds than Sissy does----to lose. That puts both of you in the relatively light weight category here. I think choosing the band was the smart thing to do with 145 pounds to lose. I also think it is the smart thing to do with 100 pounds to lose.

Sissy posted this in the support section, not the rants and raves. If you feel strongly about speaking out against what she discussed concerning gaining 10 pounds to qualify---then it would be the right place to say so in a thread in the Rants and Raves.

I want to lose 124 pounds---right smack in the middle of what you guys have! I was banded in Mexico as a self pay---because my insurance was causing me so much grief. I found a way and wanted it done, before my health became more of an issue. I WISH I had done it when I only had 45 pounds to lose like my Dr.'s wife. It doesn't matter how much it is----losing it and keeping it off have proven to be 2 different things in my history. No offense taken----I still say, sometimes you gotta play the game!

Kat