Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's too late, but did I make the right decision?

I had the sleeve done at the end of November, 2013. It was a band to sleeve revision. I was what I would have called a "slow loser" but found out some things I was doing wrong. So, I changed some of what I was doing - went to 1000 calories/day, added fruits and vegetables to my diet instead of just Protein and began walking and working out some. Now, I know you're going to say, "If you're working out you're adding muscle which weighs more than fat." Ok, I'm not working out THAT hard.

A couple of weeks ago I had an NSV by getting into size 20 clothes from a size 26/28. I hit the 40 pound loss mark in 4 months. I was feeling really good. But things have changed.

I'm still in a 20, which I'm happy about.

But I'm losing my hair. The one thing that I have ALWAYS prided myself on. Even when I was over 300 pounds, my hair always looked good. It was healthy, bouncy and in really good shape. Then, pieces of it started coming out when I showered. I'd go to soap myself up and have to remove strands of hair from the bar of soap. I thought, "Well, that's the price of bariatric surgery I suppose." I started taking Biotin after reading some messages on here. I also made sure I got at least 60 grams or more of Protein a day and have been averaging over 60 grams a day for over a month now. I thought it probably wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. Then, I went to my hair dresser for a cut yesterday. She started washing my hair and said, "Oh my, you're really getting thin." My daughter is getting married in 2 months and my hairdresser said we may have to get a hair piece to help cover up some of thinness if it doesn't get any better. What?!?!?!?!?!? Are you frickin' kidding me?

Oh, and it gets worse. I stepped on the scale this morning and was 3 pounds heavier!! WHAT?!?!?!!?!?!?!? I've been following my diet strictly and haven't gone over 1000 calories. I've looked at the snack cakes in my daughter's snack drawer and walked away. ARE YOU FRICKIN' KIDDING ME?!?!?!? 3 POUNDS?!?!?!!?!?!? And this is after a 2 week plateau.

I'm ready to give up. I know this weight didn't come on over night but I really expected more than 40 pounds in 4 months. And, I know that we all have weight fluctuations but mine have only been a pound here and there. 3 pounds? Higher??? That's crazy. If I was cheating, sure, I can see that. But I'm not. I'm a bit fed up.

I don't want to hear about losing inches vs. pounds and changing things up. I've done that. I guess I just want to bitch and complain. Has anyone else gone through this mental torture and how did you get your HEAD back in the game? I'm beating myself and my sleeve up right now. I need a mental kick in the ass.

Any advice?

Wow, first let me say I can completely understand your frustration! I have not yet had my surgery but I will be a band to sleeve revision, and just getting up to this point has been extremely frustrating. I decided to take extreme measures almost 4 years ago when I was first banded,and here I am now, still overweight, feeling like a failure, and having to go through all of these emotions all over again.

But enough of the negative! Congratulations on your success so far. I have read hundreds of posts on here, and one thing is guaranteed -- we will all plateau. Some may only last 3 days, some up to two weeks. And although you already said you don't want to hear it, many people have said the way they have jump started their weight loss again, is by doing something different. One girl mentioned adding a tsp. of fat (olive oil) - maybe you're actually eating too little? I don't know what the answer is, but even if you do absolutely nothing different, the weight loss will continue if you stick with the plan.

As for the hair loss, it is a HUGE concern of mine also. Also just like you said, my hair is "my thing". I may be overweight, may not have porcelain skin complexion, but I have always gotten compliments on my hair. That is another thing people say gets better over time, but for your daughter's wedding, if it will make you feel better go and get yourself a hair piece! But you will look absolutely beautiful regardless of whether you have thick hair, thin hair, or no hair!

You are just dealing with an awful lot right now, and I bet it is quite overwhelming. When you start feeling like this, go for a walk or start a journal, or if you still have any - go try on a pair of your largest size pants and I bet you will start to feel even just a tiny bit better. Best of luck to you, and keep up the great work!!

Have you had your thyroid checked? That can stall anyone's weight loss. I gained quite a bit of weight before the doctor finally did a thyroid function check and discovered that my thyroid wasn't functioning well. After getting on thyroid medicine, I no longer felt exhausted, and was able to hold my weight without gaining more. I just couldn't lose any however. After the sleeve surgery, I'm on my way down to what I consider my normal weight! Can't wait to get there!!

...I don't want to hear about losing inches vs. pounds and changing things up. I've done that. I guess I just want to b***h and complain. Has anyone else gone through this mental torture and how did you get your HEAD back in the game? I'm beating myself and my sleeve up right now. I need a mental kick in the ass.

Any advice?

Good morning rb,

Well we all need some time to vent but I will say this. When I was doing my prep using weight watchers in the weekly mini mag there was a team leader who gave some good advice. She said if you stumble once do you then just pick yourself up and throw yourself down the stairs?

I think the advice would be to say NEVER give up.

Easy to say cause I am not in your shoes. PDX man or something close posted a really good post this morning about making a gratitude list. Look at what you are thankful for and not for the negatives. While that won't help your hair or your three pound gain just think of what a wonderful event you have to look forward to in two months. Your daughter will be getting married and you will be adding a son to your family. That has to be worth something no?

Take care, fight the good fight, do what you can to address your current issues and b***h all you want on here LOL, we all good!

You all made me smile - thank you! Yes, I've had my thyroid checked and it's normal. So it's just typical stuff. I needed to vent a little. Typically I'm a VERY positive person and I've made the same posts people are making on my comment. It's different when it's you, though. :)

There are many parts of this journey that really make us wonder about our choice!!! hair loss and working so hard for what seems to be NOTHING really stink. Just keep reminding yourself it is the ultimate goal that will make it all worthwhile. I was convinced that I would be some "poster-child" for WLS...wrong.

Everything started off great....20 pounds lost pre-op and 50 more pounds lost in 3 months post-op. Then.....everything changed. At first, my weight loss just slowed down and then halted. I was doing everything right. I was using MFP (which was apparantly lieing to me, because I was not losing what I was told), doing over 60 minutes of cardio a day, eating right, taking my vitamins!!! It look me nearly 3 months to lose another 10 pounds...crazy! I just recently started to have some steady weight loss again, so there is some hope. My Hair loss has halted. Try to concentrate on your ultimate goal, stay positive and remember why you did this in the first place. Best of luck to you!!

There are many parts of this journey that really make us wonder about our choice!!! hair loss and working so hard for what seems to be NOTHING really stink. Just keep reminding yourself it is the ultimate goal that will make it all worthwhile. I was convinced that I would be some "poster-child" for WLS...wrong.

Everything started off great....20 pounds lost pre-op and 50 more pounds lost in 3 months post-op. Then.....everything changed. At first, my weight loss just slowed down and then halted. I was doing everything right. I was using MFP (which was apparantly lieing to me, because I was not losing what I was told), doing over 60 minutes of cardio a day, eating right, taking my vitamins!!! It look me nearly 3 months to lose another 10 pounds...crazy! I just recently started to have some steady weight loss again, so there is some hope. My Hair loss has halted. Try to concentrate on your ultimate goal, stay positive and remember why you did this in the first place. Best of luck to you!!

LOL! I thought I was the only one who was going to be a poster child for WLS! I'm using MFP too - should I stop?

.I wasn't insinuating that anyone stop using MFP...I still use it and LOVE it. It just tells me little white lies at times when it says that I will be a specific weight in 5 weeks if I keep it up....hehe!

LOL! I thought I was the only one who was going to be a poster child for WLS! I'm using MFP too - should I stop?

Edited by susan6161

I'm with you on MFP telling you what your weight will be if you do the same thing for 5 weeks in a row. Really?!?! I'm probably not going to eat the same things and do the same things day after day after day. hahahaha! OK - I wanted to be sure that's what you were referring to and not something else about MFP. Thanks!

hello, I too am a revision from band to sleeve. i have come to the conclusion that since our bodies have got used to the Protein diet and less calories we have to try harder.

before the sleeve I was eating 1000 cals and no weight loss...the body said..fine this is what you give me..I will not loose weight!!! ofcourse I wasnt exercising...I had sort of given up on the band.

Now I lost some weight in the first month and now a stall....I also have put on 2 pounds today and am depressed....I ate less yesterday...its not fair...its real hard work....we have to work at it every day!!!

all the best !!! we will succeed!! its wonderful to read all your posts. We are all going through the same problems.

I am expecting hair loss so I have got a wig. The hair will grow back later I know that.

Yes, I'm right there with you! My weight loss has been slow and is now non-existent. I go for weeks without losing anything and then I'll drop a few pounds. That's been my pattern for several months now. And I'm up 1.5 pounds at the moment. Was 3 pounds. I am fearful I will not post any loss for month 6. However, I am hopeful this will pass and the scale will move again....someday.

I, too, have experienced hair loss. I am very grateful I had somewhat thick hair to start with. I've been taking the Biotin and I feel like I am now seeing the Hair loss slow a bit.

We can't give up. We can't go back. We need to stick to the plan and wait for our bodies to let go of the weight.

Hi sassy Pants...I too am like you...lets make some change in our diet..try walking more and drink more Water..

Our weight loss is slow slow slow...but we will work at it.

all the best.

I also experienced Hair loss so I thought I would take a look at our local wig store. Oh my goodness I had so much fun. They put a wig cap on me and I tried on several and loved it. I purchased a synthetic wig mid-price...about $55. It's actually the hair you see on in my profile pic. I plan to get more...try some new colors...etc. I have gotten nothing but compliments which is awesome. Anyhow maybe try visiting a wig shop and give it a chance. They should have hair pieces also. Celebrities, models and even "real people" are using extensions, wigs, and hairpieces all the time. You can probably find a wig that looks like the hair you use to have if that's what you wish. Your hair will start to grow back again...

You can do this. You are at a sucky period right now, but it will get a lot better. Don't plan on any significant hair growing in by the wedding, though :( I've got the Hair loss thing going great guns, too.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are middle age or post menopause, you might want to check your calories with your nut or doctor. Personally, I don't lose at all on 1000 calories a day. I go to 800 calories a day to see a loss, and I'm still getting in all my Protein with that, too. I just keep it very low carb and eat more vegs. At my fastest (during my honeymoon period) I lost 2 lbs. a week on 800 calories a day. Now I lose maybe a lb a week if I'm lucky.

Just some ideas. Best of luck to you.