Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets: foods you personally can't tolerate?

My doc allows soft foods/solids from 4 weeks out. I was experimenting with those foods to see what it would be like now, and am pleased to say that they are not going to be a staple in my diet. With the solids, I made sure to chew, chew, chew until they were like mush.

Protein drinks are my staple, even now. I have done pretty well with the weight loss so far at 30 pounds in 5+ weeks.

2 plus years out I can tolerate anything really but I have become at least somewhat lactose intolerant. What that means as a practical matter is that ice cream is off the menu. :)

I never have been able to abide by Chinese restaurant food because of the MSG and who knows what else (no problem with Thai, Indian etc)

<p>I am 5 weeks out. chicken (dark meat only) is no problem for me. I haven't tried a lot of things yet, but scrambled eggs are fine. I can eat a few bites of bread with no problems, just find that I don't want more than a few bites. This is good because I was addicted to bread before surgery. I tried a doughnut once, and found that while I tolerated it ok, it took me more than three days to finish just one, so why bother. I'm not even tempted to try rice.</p> <p> </p> <p>I didn't care for ice cream before surgery, but my dad had some Blue Bell strawberry ice cream that was heavenly. I enjoyed it, and I also know that I won't go out and buy it. I haven't tried steak yet, or hamburgers. Just looking at them makes me full. I made some hamburger helper for my son, and could eat a couple of bites ok, but it isn't going to be a staple for me. I had a couple of fried shrimp with a few french fries. Tolerated it ok, but it just didn't taste good, so that is off my menu.</p> <p> </p> <p>It is going to be interesting to see what my menu will be like in six months.</p>[/QUOT

This question was directed for 6+ months out so of course your going to receive the responses your getting! It's unbelievable what people are trying to eat with only being out so short from surgery. I would think solids or not. Why would you attempt these foods..... Just saying

Ok yall...please pretend that I never responded to this topic. I realize it was meant for those 6+ months out.

<p>Ok yall...please pretend that I never responded to this topic. I realize it was meant for those 6+ months out.</p>

Please don't take that stuff the wrong way! Your entitled to your opinion you'll see when your 6+ months out, you'll completely understand where we are coming from and by no means is it meant to hurt your feelings. Were just coming from a place of love and concern for our follow sleevers :)

Edited by septappt

<p>Ok yall...please pretend that I never responded to this topic. I realize it was meant for those 6+ months out.</p>

Please don't take that stuff the wrong way! Your entitled to your opinion you'll see when your 6+ months out, you'll completely understand where we are coming from and by no means is it meant to hurt your feelings. Were just coming from a place of love and concern for our follow sleevers :)

Absolutely! You are a gown up and can do/eat whatever you choose. I simply want you to have the best possible results and testing your limits, especially so early out, is not the best course of action *in my opinion*.

I went back to the news seminar for WLS as support for a loved one. The surgeon addressed the ice cream issue. Someone asked about dumping syndrome and he stated it's pretty uncommon for a sleeved with the exception of ice cream. Due to the high sugar,MIT moves way too quickly through digestion and creates some kind of extra digestive juices and ends up with dumping. I know I have over-simplified his explanation, but this what I can remember. Oddly, ice. Ream is the only thing I've had any discomfort with. I can tolerate it in small quantities only. I've only tried it 3 times, but I now know I can only have a little. Like, not even a kids size. Maybe half that.

6 months post op here and 'gloria' my tiny fickle tummy doesn't like shrimp. I dump from too much sugar free Torani Syrup.< /p>

I try to steer away from the high fatty foods that I shouldn't be eating.

Beef is a no go. Can't handle the sight of the stuff, and it's too hard to get down.

Think that's it. I'm not terribly adventurous food wise. I'm a creature of habit.

Edited by gomekast

I'm one week post op today and doc suggested I try to start eating a little. He said anything you would feed a baby would be okay, but how do I know when I'm full? I ate about a 1/3 cup ground beef with marinara sauce and stopped because I'm terrified to dump. One week post op and I feel 100% normal.

I'm one week post op today and doc suggested I try to start eating a little. He said anything you would feed a baby would be okay, but how do I know when I'm full? I ate about a 1/3 cup ground beef with marinara sauce and stopped because I'm terrified to dump. One week post op and I feel 100% normal.

Be careful. Nerves are cut.. I don't trust how it feels until 6 weeks post op.

I had the same reaction for the first 6 mths (been able to eat about 4 bites of it now, 9 mths out). If I took more than 1 bite, I ended up with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. not worth it to me. But I'm stubborn. Kept trying it every 2 weeks or so just to test it.

Mistake. Shoulda given up on it forever. Now I can tolerate 4-5 bites without issue. Don't want to push it tho.

Ice Cream. I can eat frozen yogurt every night without an issue. And I LOVE the yoplait frozen greek yogurt bars, I have 2 a week, and they are delicious, and they have Protein in them. I don't feel guilty having dessert that has Protein in it. But if I eat 2 oz of ice cream I'm sick, puking and dealing with severe stomach pain.

anything really sweet makes me feel "yucky." i dont know how to explain it. just icky in my stomach. not too sweet things i can do fine... greek yogurt with 15 or less grams of sugar, natural graham crackers, dark chocolate. even some fruit makes me feel yucky, bananas esp. i cannot eat Pasta even 1/4 cup. rice i have only tried 1-2 tbsp. i can eat one piece of bread, no more. i have not tried fried foods, take out or fast food. i try to stick to whole unprocessed foods anyway. raw veggies fill me up and make me feel really really full. i have to be really careful, or i end up bloated and queasy. i am fine with cooked veggies though.

Interesting that ice cream is popping up here a lot. Unfortunately, not one of my problem foods. Now, if ice cream, sugar and chocolate disagreed with me, all would be well ;)

Edited by NMJG

anything really sweet makes me feel "yucky." i dont know how to explain it. just icky in my stomach. not too sweet things i can do fine... greek yogurt with 15 or less grams of sugar, natural graham crackers, dark chocolate. even some fruit makes me feel yucky, bananas esp. i cannot eat Pasta even 1/4 cup. rice i have only tried 1-2 tbsp. i can eat one piece of bread, no more. i have not tried fried foods, take out or fast food. i try to stick to whole unprocessed foods anyway. raw veggies fill me up and make me feel really really full. i have to be really careful, or i end up bloated and queasy. i am fine with cooked veggies though.

moonlite, How far out are you?