Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a Canuck... Looking to get banded in Mexico

:) Hi, has anyone from Canada gone to Mexico to get banded? If so how was your experience? Who did you see? I am interested in going to Mexico for Band surgery, I would like my hubby to come with me for moral support as well as for safety reasons... Do you usually fly to the US first and drive to Mexico or fly direct?

Hope you don't mind a response from the USA---just didn't want you thinking no one was out there!!!

First of all welcome to LBT, we are glad you found this site, to start asking some questions!

I went to Mexico from here, I am in New Mexico---and I flew into San Diego, and then the Dr.'s staff picked us up at the airport and drove us into Mexicali. As it stands now to my understanding, is that if you drive across the border, or walk across you can do so with a picture ID. If you fly into Mexico, you have to have a current passport. Most of the places I have heard of fly you into a nearby US city---not too sure about Monterrey.

Have you tried posting your question in the Canada threads? They may be able to get you more pertinent info than I can.

I took my husband as well. His sister and I went together, and he accompanied both of us, as her DH (Dear, Darling, Damn---whatever the mood---Husband) would not go with her. There was never a time I felt I needed him for safety concerns, but I always feel better when he is with me anyway!!! I highly recommend taking someone. It would have been hard to drag my own luggage around, while recovering from surgery for instance. It was just an emotional comfort having him.

Good Luck in your search for answers, and in your surgery as well!!!

Once again---welcome!

Kat

:clap2: Thanks Kat! I sure dont mind answers from the US, heck, I lived there for quite a few years so... Either way I get to Mexico, I will need a passport to travel... New travel restrictions are that if you fly to the US you need as valid passport. It's not the same if you drive, all you need at that point is valid picture ID. Anyhow thanks for the information it is much valued and appreciated.:bump2:

Caroline

Dr.Ortiz and his staff were the best. He is in TJ. Have no regrets, would do it again in a second. I am from Southern California, I drove. If you fly they will pick you up at the airport. All the staff spoke English and were very nice and comforting. They were 5 other women that had surgery the same day. You get to know them, you all stay at the same hotel. If you have to go by yourself, there is still support there for you. I would recomend Dr Ortiz to anyone going to Mexico. I did alot of checking before I decided to do this I was so scared. I look back now and I really had nothing to worry about. Good luck with your surgery.

mema

Hope you don't mind a response from the USA---just didn't want you thinking no one was out there!!!

First of all welcome to LBT, we are glad you found this site, to start asking some questions!

I went to Mexico from here, I am in New Mexico---and I flew into San Diego, and then the Dr.'s staff picked us up at the airport and drove us into Mexicali. As it stands now to my understanding, is that if you drive across the border, or walk across you can do so with a picture ID. If you fly into Mexico, you have to have a current passport. Most of the places I have heard of fly you into a nearby US city---not too sure about Monterrey.

Have you tried posting your question in the Canada threads? They may be able to get you more pertinent info than I can.

I took my husband as well. His sister and I went together, and he accompanied both of us, as her DH (Dear, Darling, Damn---whatever the mood---Husband) would not go with her. There was never a time I felt I needed him for safety concerns, but I always feel better when he is with me anyway!!! I highly recommend taking someone. It would have been hard to drag my own luggage around, while recovering from surgery for instance. It was just an emotional comfort having him.

Good Luck in your search for answers, and in your surgery as well!!!

Once again---welcome!

Kat

Thanks again for responding... there is not much on the Canadian posts that seem to cover this particular topic so... I should still try posting there, I am still new and saw that a lot of people were going to Mexico to get surgery. Figured this was a good place to start...

A lot of people do go to Mexico, the cost being one of the biggest factors, but also experience. I was hesitant at first, but a friend who had gone before me, brought back pictures, of her motel, and hospital, and was so positive, I began looking into it seriously. Then my experience was the same, the hospital was meticulous---the staff pleasant, and vry attentive, I felt in competant hands the entire time.

In my case the area I live is pretty rural---in fact there are no band Dr.s in my state (or weren't when I had it done). So the closest surgeon to do my fills/adjustments is a 5-6 hour drive away---making it a 12 hour round trip. So I even met with my former oncologist, and made arrangements with his office, just in case I need an emergency unfill or something---since they are quite used to accessing ports. It has worked out fine---it was a good decision for me. It would have been nice if there were a local surgeon doing them, that I could see without the long trip---but it wasn't an option. No matter how or where I did it, it was going to involve traveling. So I went with the experience and the lesser cost. Don't regret a bit of it!

Do lots of research, both on Dr.'s and facilities---find out how many bands they have placed, what their stats are. Ask if they can mail you information---many refuse! If they refused to put it in writing, I refused to trust them!!!

Just do lots of research, you will go into the banding better informed, and prepared.

If I can help with any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Kat

Hi Caroline,

I am a Canuck, too. I live in Victoria, BC and I am going to have surgery by Dr. Ortiz in May. I'd be happy to help you any way that I can.

Cheers,

Laura

That sounds really good Laura, I would love to know how everything goes and what procedures you have to through to get there... Please keep me informed...

Thank you so much, keep in contact

A lot of people do go to Mexico, the cost being one of the biggest factors, but also experience. I was hesitant at first, but a friend who had gone before me, brought back pictures, of her motel, and hospital, and was so positive, I began looking into it seriously. Then my experience was the same, the hospital was meticulous---the staff pleasant, and vry attentive, I felt in competant hands the entire time.

In my case the area I live is pretty rural---in fact there are no band Dr.s in my state (or weren't when I had it done). So the closest surgeon to do my fills/adjustments is a 5-6 hour drive away---making it a 12 hour round trip. So I even met with my former oncologist, and made arrangements with his office, just in case I need an emergency unfill or something---since they are quite used to accessing ports. It has worked out fine---it was a good decision for me. It would have been nice if there were a local surgeon doing them, that I could see without the long trip---but it wasn't an option. No matter how or where I did it, it was going to involve traveling. So I went with the experience and the lesser cost. Don't regret a bit of it!

Do lots of research, both on Dr.'s and facilities---find out how many bands they have placed, what their stats are. Ask if they can mail you information---many refuse! If they refused to put it in writing, I refused to trust them!!!

Just do lots of research, you will go into the banding better informed, and prepared.

If I can help with any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Kat

Hi Kat, you are very encouraging and I love that you included some things to watch out for... Information is power as thet say... Thank you youre a doll...:clap2:

there may be many good doctors in Tijuana, i went to dr. Huacuz, check out his website and call. i spoke to other patients that went to him before i made a decision, and i haggled on the price a bit. call and talk to dr. Huacuz and let him answer your questions. he will talk to you on the phone himself. he is very friendly and down to earth. He has a brand new medical center. I had surgery there. i always tell people to go to him because he has done a lot for me. I have called many times with concerns and he is always nice and listens to me. He has done my fills and once a unfill. I cant believe the service is so good. all the people who work for him love him. They all enjoy working together , they are like a family and they make you feel special and welcome. I think they go out of there way to ensure you have a positive and painless experience. i was scared about having nausea and vomiting after surgery. i told the doctor how fearful i was. he assured me that he would make sure i did not get sick. I didnt. I trusted him and he was right. I was dancing in the hallway that nite. maybe the drugs are too good.LOL.... trust him. i did and all my friends have. we all feel like we are so so lucky to have him as our doctor. I tell everyone. i want you to have the same experience as me. I have lost about 95lbs. good luck with your surgery. shop around and talk to the different doctors. i dont think you can get any better than dr.huacuz.