Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric Sleeve

I am getting sleeved at noon today (I hope, came down with head cold) My BMI was 35.5 at initial consult. I have hypertension, labelled diabetic, sleep apnea and high cholesterol. I am pretty nervous about my decision but feel that it's in my health's best interest to do this surgery. Lost 6 pounds on the 3 day pre op. I could have lived with my weight but not the diseases.

Excellent choice for you to have the surgury, I was identical to you, post op 4 months now, best decision I ever made!

Keep us posted!

Good luck today with your sleeve! I'm waiting today or tomorrow for the call to schedule my surgery date!!!

I was sleeved a little over 11 months ago at around 36 BMI. I told close family and a few friends who all knew of my lifelong struggle and were all very supportive. My mother, I think, was the most concerned because it's an elective surgery compared to my previous ACL reconstruction surgeries, which were necessary operations.

The first week is the worst and the next four are tough, but not insurmountable. Being that I was young (24) and on the smaller end of the spectrum heading in, I only needed to stay on my pain meds for a week and after 10 days, I was back to sleeping in my bed again. (I'd been sleeping on the couch downstairs, after discovering it was the most comfortable.)

I hit my goal weight yesterday and can honestly say that my lifestyle has not changed in terms of where I can eat and whether the smaller portions are really noticeable. Everyone not in the know generally chalks up my mostly-empty plate to Portion Control and it being the reason I've lost weight. My social life is better and I'm healthier.

My doc said to me long ago that he wishes people came to him at my age and size before everything spiraled and while they had the chance to get decades of enjoyment out of it. Best of luck to you all!

My doc said to me long ago that he wishes people came to him at my age and size before everything spiraled and while they had the chance to get decades of enjoyment out of it. Best of luck to you all!

This is my answer when asked why did you get surgery you are not that fat. I used a tool to help me loose the weight that I need to before I get any co morbidities or get fat enough for everyone to perceive the need. This was my choice for my body.

I am starting at BMI of 36. I am scheduled for surgery next week. I haven't told many people because I get the " you aren't fat enough for surgery". So I am not telling many more people. They don't know my struggles, about the $5000 a year cost in medications that are for weight related issues. I am so happy to find other low BMIers on here and see similar problems! I can't wait to post before and after pictures!

Yes, I have had many people say "why are you having WLS you are not that big ",too. Could not have waited until I was "that big" because if I had I would have been dead!I have prediabetes, sleep apnea, joint pain, high cholestoral, borderline high blood pressure, etc. this is not vanity it is insurance that I will be alive to see my kids graduate from college and see my grandchildren. Many in my family were not so lucky. That said,some will never understand so I would think before telling people who don't really need to know.

I was a 36.6 at initial consult - but after a few lbs of weight lost (on Protein shakes 2x a day and trying to follow the bariatric plate - getting used to eating that way now) I am down to 35.7. I will be sleeved on 3/7 and am hoping to be under 35 BMI by then. I am tired of the roller coaster, tired of the weight, tired of the being tired, my cholesterol is crazy - I am a Type 1 diabetic taking too much insulin. Losing weight for me is a torturous, slow process that I give up on...

I also feel this is the right decision for me...

Mine was low too, I self paid because my insurance won't cover it. I even had one of the doctors at Kaiser who did WLS actually criticize me for doing it and told me I'd regret it. Five and a half years later I am still waiting on the regret.

My BMI day of surgery was 35. I've chosen not to tell a lot of people about it, because I hate the reaction I've had when I mentioned thinking about surgery in the past. People think it's taking the lazy way out, or being vain, etc. The reality is that I have tried everything else to lose weight to no avail. I am scared about my physical health and the impact on my self-esteem. When people comment on my weight loss my response will be that I lost weight by eating a lot less. That's not a lie, so I feel good about it.

My BMI was 30 and I had it done. I needed it and I will never regret it.

My BMI is 36, I am 36 years old, and I am scheduled for surgery March 24th. I cannot wait! I am not telling anyone other than my fiancée, at least not until after surgery. I fear people at work will notice the quick weight loss, and depending on what foods I'm on when I return to work... Since I plan on only taking 2 weeks off. I'm a RN and work 13hour night shifts, so we eat when we can at the nurses station (shhh don't tell The joint commission!)... I am hoping not to have too much loose skin afterwards, but honestly I'd trade this chub for loose skin any day!

I had a BMI of 29 when I had the sleeve, I am 6 weeks out and less than 10 pounds to goal...

@@Commander, my BMI was also approximately 36 on my surgery day and I am a nurse. Of course everyone has noticed the rapid weight loss but I have been an open book about it. I would just tell people it's all about portion control...it's not a lie, you just don't have to add that you had surgery to help control the portions. Good luck to you. I am 10 weeks postop and I love my sleeve!

I am a 28 year old female with pcos. During the last three to four years, I became insulin resistant, pre diabetic and am now having periodontal issues. I am 5'2 and 175 lbs. I think that puts me to 31 or 32 on the BMI chart. I am working on having my surgery sometime in the next 3 months but I am also not getting any support from friends or family members. My sister is the only person supporting me. I wish people knew that just because one is not 300 pounds, it does not mean they don't have health issues that needs to be addressed.

Hi everyone,

I'm finally back for an update! I had been in the typical stall for quite some time, so was hesitant to post too much and come across pessimistic.

Here's a recap. Had my surgery January 9th in Mexico. BMI was 29, weighed in at 153.4 (only 5'1) on January 1st when I started my pre-op. I had an easy pre-op, basically just did Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and then veggies and chicken for dinner. Three days before surgery was yogurt only diet, but I did add a Protein shake once a day just to keep my Protein up and my carbs down. Day of surgery I weighed 148.4 lbs, which put my BMI at 28.

I went down to Mexico on the day of surgery and spent a few days in San Diego afterwards. First time I weighed myself on my home scale I was 139.2 and that was on January 17th.

Jan 18 - 137.2

Jan 19 - 137.0

Then my weight started to bounce around and stall out so I stopped weighing daily.

Feb 1 - 137.6.

I started working out Feb 1, scale was still moving super slow, so again just weighed every once in a while

Feb 5 - 136.0

Feb 23 - 135.2

Then I went on vacation to California. Just got back last night and I weighed in this morning at .... 129.0!!!!!! That puts me at a BMI of 24.4, the high end of NORMAL WEIGHT.

Why did I finally drop? I don't exactly know, but here's two things that probably helped.

1. I ate out a lot, and although I didn't eat lots at a time, my calories were definitely higher, so I think that actually helped boost my metabolism.

2. I got super sick the second last night, stuck in the bathroom (sorry if this is TMI - but basically all night pooping and puking --- although it was mostly dry heaving since there was no food in me). So I probably am down quite a bit of Water weight, and fully expect I may gain a couple pounds once I get hydrated again and eating somewhat normal.

Anyways, I just wanted to post an update since it's been a while, and I feel like I may have finally broken this stall. I am less than 6 lbs above my lowest weight as an adult. Still 14 lbs above my goal weight, but that being said, I am looking forward to increasing my exercise and putting on muscle, so realize it may be difficult for the scale to drop steadily if I'm toning up.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

--I am going to copy and paste this post to a few of the other "low BMI" threads, so sorry for the repeat to those of you that follow those threads as well--