Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric Sleeve

Just an update from a low BMIer...

Surgery: 12/31/14

Height: 5'4"

Surgery Weight: 188lb

Today Weight: 176lb -- I lost 12lbs the first 12 days. Since then I've been on a stall. I'm fine with it, knowing my body will start dropping again soon... body is just adapting. A few people have noticed my face is slimmer... wearing big winter clothes doesn't help. I know as the temp warms, and the pounds continue to drop, more people will notice. :)

FOODS: I had Clear Liquids first week with no problem. I did have HUGE hunger on day 8... that was the same day as my post-op apt and Dr said I could start easing into real foods. I had refried Beans with some shredded cheddar and it was so yummy. I also had scrambled eggs. Yum. Since then (I'm on 16 days post-op now) I've had a big variety. I've had chicken (soft chicken that was in tortilla soup) and it went down FINE! I chewed slow and really small bites. I will say I had some grilled chicken on 14 days post-op and .... it was the first time I had to throw up. I think I just ate too quickly. Other than that I'm doing really well. Eating very healthy and not really ever hunger (just that one day at post op 8days). I have to be purposeful about my Water and Protein.

PHYSICAL: I feel GREAT! Other than some tired days during the first 8 days post, I feel great. I'm taking Calcium and mult Vitamin (purchased at my surgeon's office). My incisions feel great and I know it is just going to get better and better. I've been walking on the treadmill and outside. The furthest walk I've done is 2.3 miles. Felt great!

For those pre-op, I was SCARED to death and kept asking myself should I do this. Well, I am so very happy I did. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I was self pay (first dr appt was on 12/5/14 and surgery on 12/31/14... so this happened FAST). ONLY hubby knows! Since I'm a low BMI, I knew people would be really negative towards me having this surgery. They don't know my struggles. So, we are keeping it quiet. I was nervous about this, but now that I'm past the initial healing, I am so glad NO one knows. Hubby is thinking about doing the surgery too.

Hope this helps those of you considering the sleeve. Blessings!

Thank you for the update, My surgery is in 6 days I'm scared but excited, My surgeon wants us on Clear Liquids for 4 weeks post op, then pureed for week 5 and six. The real kicker is no actual food meals until week nine.

People also need to remember that having a BMI of 35 is not healthy either!

Edited by CountryGirl5584

My BMI is 35.8 and I've decided not to tell many people because of the "not big enough" commentary. I haven't told my mom because I know she's totally against the idea. I'm going to tell her the week before so its "too late" for her to really say anything to get to me. I am also keeping quiet because I know some feel this is the easy way out.

After I left my initial consult I felt disappointment and ashamed of myself because I've done so well in so many other areas of my life but have totally failed in getting a handle on my weight. I can't count how many times I've lost and regained. Last year I ran a half marathon but managed to put on 20 lbs post race. On two meds for my blood pressure and the running + my weight is murdering my joints. So glad I made this decision...just hoping i am approved.

Janejane doe ....great info

Tomorrow is my day

I am down in Mexico... Live here

Stay tuned

I will be back on line monday

My BMI is 35.8 and I've decided not to tell many people because of the "not big enough" commentary. I haven't told my mom because I know she's totally against the idea. I'm going to tell her the week before so its "too late" for her to really say anything to get to me. I am also keeping quiet because I know some feel this is the easy way out.

After I left my initial consult I felt disappointment and ashamed of myself because I've done so well in so many other areas of my life but have totally failed in getting a handle on my weight. I can't count how many times I've lost and regained. Last year I ran a half marathon but managed to put on 20 lbs post race. On two meds for my blood pressure and the running + my weight is murdering my joints. So glad I made this decision...just hoping i am approved.

@@lexiemustang.... it's like you read my mind! I had my 1st consult last week and while I did love the surgeon (laid back but reassuring)... I too cried b/c I felt like its a personal failure that I cannot lose weight to save my life (literally). I havent even worried about maintaining yet b/c to maintain you actually have to have a LOSS!

and my MOM is the same way.... I am more worried about telling her than the surgery itself. (we're super close)

SO ready for SOMETHING to make the change!

sorry for duplicate post. board is a little buggy this morning. Monday blues huh? :P

Edited by txfirefly979

I am a week before surgery and my bmi is just under 31....May even be closer to 30 on day of surgery

I am in Australia and don't really have any other medical problems...except fasting glycemia that might become diabetes in 5/10 years

I am so sick of working really hard to loose a small amount of weight to put it all back on (plus interest)

I am second guessing my decision a little....

For those who were really hungry post op did you do a pre op diet?

I have been on Optifast for a week and am not very hungry any more...will I still be hungry after the op?

As of today, my BMI is 35.6-I will not tell my parents or siblings. Yes, 50 year old woman who does not want to hear it from her 70+ parents, I don't want to the backlash from others either. A young man (30's) I've known since he was an obese teenager lost 110 pounds over the last 6 months with the sleeve. I went to say hello to him on Facebook and he had deactivated his account. Reason-negative people saying crap like he "took the easy way out."

I have been on numerous diets and exercise plans. The last prolonged one before now was 2011, I started at lent-no refined foods, no HFCS, no sugar, no take-out. I worked out and went from 219# to 187. I felt good, looked good. It's been over a decade before then that I was below 200#. This weight loss lasted LESS THAN a month. The weight came back-on...and on...and on.

When I started the WLS journey in August 2014, I was 232#. Heavier than when I gave birth to twins! I am 5'5" and 214# today. My daughter asked me what I will tell my parents next month when I am not eating cake at my granddaughters 1st birthday. For me, the timing is PERFECT, if all goes well this week with my 6month visit, I will start my pre-op diet along with lent. I planned on going no sugar, no processed foods anyways.

It's interesting that folks will try to ply you with food and that a NO sometimes is not enough. But, if you say it's a religious reason, noooooo problem.

Why is that?

As of today, my BMI is 35.6-I will not tell my parents or siblings. Yes, 50 year old woman who does not want to hear it from her 70+ parents, I don't want to the backlash from others either. A young man (30's) I've known since he was an obese teenager lost 110 pounds over the last 6 months with the sleeve. I went to say hello to him on Facebook and he had deactivated his account. Reason-negative people saying crap like he "took the easy way out."

I have been on numerous diets and exercise plans. The last prolonged one before now was 2011, I started at lent-no refined foods, no HFCS, no sugar, no take-out. I worked out and went from 219# to 187. I felt good, looked good. It's been over a decade before then that I was below 200#. This weight loss lasted LESS THAN a month. The weight came back-on...and on...and on.

When I started the WLS journey in August 2014, I was 232#. Heavier than when I gave birth to twins! I am 5'5" and 214# today. My daughter asked me what I will tell my parents next month when I am not eating cake at my granddaughters 1st birthday. For me, the timing is PERFECT, if all goes well this week with my 6month visit, I will start my pre-op diet along with lent. I planned on going no sugar, no processed foods anyways.

It's interesting that folks will try to ply you with food and that a NO sometimes is not enough. But, if you say it's a religious reason, noooooo problem.

Why is that?

My attitude sucks right now - sorry - but I'm at a point in life where I feel a like a good number of people are mean judgemental hypocrites. :mellow: And I'm not even going to get started on facebook, but I digress...

What I've noticed is that with each time I lose weight - it becomes harder and harder for me to keep the weight off.

First time - cut out sweets/fried foods

Second time - cut out sweets/fried foods/white flour

Third time - cut out sweets, fried foods, white flour, add 30 mins exercise

Fourth time - cut out sweets, fried foods, white flour, processed foods, 30 mins exercise

Fifth time - cut out sweets, fried foods, , white flour, processed foods, 1 hour exercise, + 30 mins running

And so on and so on.

I know this is a lifetime battle...but it's becoming more and more difficult with each time I lose and regain. Meanwhile there are people like my brother who do nothing but eat junk and gain no weight. (Yes I'm being a hater right now).

@leximustang YUP, I feel very much like you do. I deactivated my Facebook account today.for one thing, I'm single and just have no desire for all the Valentine crap. The other is that FB has been a mind and time suck. I want to continue this journey for the next month without it and work on having real "living" relationships.

This morning I texted a friend who is like a baby sister to me about talking to another friend about surgery. She commented the "I hope you're not thinking of it, you don't need it". I wasn't upset because In her defense, she was one that had disastrous life-threatening results with the LapBand (quack surgeon who on another friend of hers nicked her spleen plus other stuff) She now over 300 pounds and is too afraid to try the sleeve. After a long conversation, I told her that I hope her bearing witness to my journey will encourage her to at least think about it.

I have really liked watching the video logs on You Tube of this young women name Cluesee (sp) she is hilarious, one of them is titled "After WLS you become a Jerk!" In reference to how folks that wouldn't previously give you the time of day are all sweet and kind and bothersome-esp store clerks!

My attitude sucks right now - sorry - but I'm at a point in life where I feel a like a good number of people are mean judgemental hypocrites. :mellow: And I'm not even going to get started on Facebook, but I digress...

What I've noticed is that with each time I lose weight - it becomes harder and harder for me to keep the weight off.

First time - cut out sweets/fried foods

Second time - cut out sweets/fried foods/white flour

Third time - cut out sweets, fried foods, white flour, add 30 mins exercise

Fourth time - cut out sweets, fried foods, white flour, processed foods, 30 mins exercise

Fifth time - cut out sweets, fried foods, , white flour, processed foods, 1 hour exercise, + 30 mins running

And so on and so on.

I know this is a lifetime battle...but it's becoming more and more difficult with each time I lose and regain. Meanwhile there are people like my brother who do nothing but eat junk and gain no weight. (Yes I'm being a hater right now).

sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO familiar.

I've added more and more time at the gym

plus cut out more and more foods (of course during all the "trying to figure out why the hell I cant lose weight where I've been told everything from PCOS to hypothyroidism).

still not seeing any results after multiple extended attempts is why I'm here... I need a tool (WLS) to help me MOVE The scale in the right direction (even if its slow!)

(and those YouTube videos by Clusee are hilarious!)

Just an update for those pre-op people who are wondering how post-op people are faring. It really helped me to read about other's experiences when I was pre-op and scared, nervous, etc, Hopefully this will help some of you.

Surgery: 12/31/14 (currently I am a month and a half post)

Height: 5'4"

High Weight: 195 (at first pre-op on 12/5/14)

Surgery Weight: 188 (no pre-op diet required for me)

Today's weight: 168 (27 total pounds lost... 20 since surgery ... lost 12lbs in the first 12 days, since then I'm losing at a rate of about 2lbs/week)

FOOD: I was on a liquid diet for first 8 days. I was extremely hungry day 8, same day as my post-op appt. Surgeon said to start slowly trying to eat real foods. I have and can eat ANYTHING now. I've thrown up ONCE, when I ate some chicken too fast at 14 days post op. Last night I ate about 4oz of filet mignon, a couple bites of au gratin potatoes plus a 1/2 glass of yummy cabernet (2012 Charles Krug, Napa). It was wonderful, zero issues. Drinking LOTS of Water... aim for 64oz of Water per day; I don't always make that goal, but I try (my massage therapist said she can really tell that I am super hydrated bc my skin looks great). I am eating Protein first with a total daily calories of ~500-600. Some people say they are not hungry the first year post; well, I have been. I'm okay with it. I just plan and always have a cheese stick or almonds to curve my hunger, not to graze on or snack on... just a few bites to curve until meal time. I stay away from bread, Pasta, and most sugars. I have a couple chocolate kisses when I just have to have some.

PYSCH: I have had ZERO depression. In fact, the reverse. I'm much happier knowing I have this TOOL to help me. Please know you still have to PLAN and follow an eating regiment; the sleeve is not a magic solution to our obesity. I am feeling great. sleeping great. Zero headaches (suffered from migraines). My snoring is just about gone!!!

EXERCISE: I have logged 56 miles since my surgery (started walking on treadmill two days post). Hoping to run a half marathon again in the fall.

WORK: I returned to work on January 5th, just 5 days post-op. I work in an office, thus no manual labor.

PHOTOS/MEASUREMENTS/CLOTHES: I took pre-op photos; I can't wait to take the after photos. I'm holding out until I'm close to my goal weight, then I will take the after photos. I also took pre-op measurements and have lost over 26 inches. Today I cleaned out some of my closet... giving away eleven pairs of size 14 pants... going to Goodwill donation!

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? Hell YES! My hubby has been so encouraged watching my success, he has scheduled to have the surgery March 9th!

Good Luck to you all!!!

Edited by JaneJaneDoe

I'm nearly 10 months out now. Lost 75 lb. I'm 5'6", starting weight 240, now 165 (which is goal according to my surgeon but I'd like to lose 10 more). I feel awesome, sleep better, take the stairs without thinking about it, have more energy, and get lots of attention from men (ok that's the downside, but have to admit it feels good!). My meals are protein-focused but i don't count grams anymore. I drink around 40 oz per day and no issues, take my Vitamins, my labs look great. No blood pressure medicine the last 6 months.

I didn't advance my diet nearly as quickly as the previous poster, but tolerate everything well in general. Fried foods give me nausea so i avoid them (not good for me anyway so no big deal). I avoid bread, biscuits, Cereal, tortillas, etc (except the low-carb tortillas--I will have ONE and make a Taco or mini pizza out of it, and I'm full). I don't drink alcohol because my fiance is in alcohol recovery, but it has a ton of calories so it's best avoided anyway. As a snack i will eat a handful of nuts and a cheese stick or a Greek yogurt (which contains extra Protein compared to regular yogurt and i think it has a better texture). Sometimes i will have 8 or 10 Blue Diamond Nut Thins with a little cheese dip to squash that craving for something crunchy. I love to go to Red Lobster and order the snow crab. So yummy and my tummy tolerates it very very well. For exercise i walk about 12 miles/week or more.

This is a new way of eating for me, and it's for life. It's working for me, I'm used to it now and i like it. I'm very happy. Only regret is i didn't do this 10 years ago.

Don't be afraid. Realize this is the first step in a journey that will bring you joy, health, and a longer life!

Edited by dsmith_rn

Hi janejanedoe my Sergery date was 02 02 15 day of Sergery was 191 now 177 I'm 5,3 feeling great I'm going to work Monday back to normal