Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know a lot of people fly for surgery. I thought I was going to be able to drive, but now it's looking like a strong possibility that I'll have to fly. I haven't flown for years, and the last time I did, I was somewhat slimmer, so it wasn't as big a deal.

I read that Spirit Airlines has a "big front seat" that's 20" instead of 17" and has more leg room as well as more room between the seats. Has anyone used that seat/airline?

What other airlines have you used? Which ones are the most "fat friendly"? I just don't want to get there and have to buy a second seat or not be able to get a seat belt extender that's big enough. That's SO embarrassing. I can't wait until I've lost weight and never have to deal with this again!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Melody

Spend the extra money for the emergency exit seat and that way you can go with any airline. This seat tends to have more room.

Presurgery I flew Spirit. I always paid extra for the "big front seat". I was almost 300lbs and all belly. I did not have to use a seatbelt extender, but it was very close. Hope that helps:)

@@bookworm sometimes airlines won't let obese people have those seats. They vary on how strict they are in enforcement but the typical policy on who can sit in an exit row seat says that you can't sit there if you might "obstruct the exit."

Great question!! I flew last weekend, I am flying again this weekend, and I am a total airline floozy- I have NO allegiance to anyone, I go with the cheapest!! I probably fly between 6-10 times per year for work & personal...and I dread it every time because of my 52" hips!!

That said, here's what I know:

Virgin seems to have the largest coach seats, in my experience. Plus the longest seatbelts- I don't need an extender.

Spirit Airlines is the worst possible airline you could ever hope to fly on. It's basically a strapped-in chair on an airplane. It's worse than Greyhound. Some, but not all, of their seats are bigger. They have (literally) the worst record of any American airline for on-time arrivals and routinely cancel flights & cannot rebook you for 2 or more days (this could be VERY bad if you are flying for surgery). They charge you for CARRY-ON BAGGAGE!!! Even my skinny, adventurous, penny-pinching younger brother will no longer fly Spirit, because it is truly such a horrendous experience.

EXIT ROWS: Last week, my DH2B and I flew to Dallas from SFO on American. Because it was a last minute booking, they only had exit row seats ($69 extra, per person, each way. Yeah. That was ridiculous.) My fiancee, who is 6'2" and around 250 lbs, was happy because the exit rows provide a TON of extra leg room. However- the ARM RESTS don't go up. For anyone with big hips or a big booty, that can spell disaster. Additionally, I was in the exit row window seat. On my left side (against the window), b/c it is an exit row, there is only HALF AN ARMREST. So, not only can you not move it and not rest your arm on it, it digs (HARD!) into your flesh the whole flight. AWFUL. I was miserable. I felt bad because DH2B was so excited with all of his legroom, but I will never fly exit row again. The seats aren't any wider- just more space between you and the next seat. NOT WORTH THE $$$ (unless you have long gams, and in that case, good for you. I'm short as sh*t).

EXTENDERS: This year is the first year I've had the balls to ask for one. I first started "not being able to buckle" 3 years ago, but was too terrified to ask, so I faked being buckled. That's just dangerous! I know a seatbelt isn't going to help you with a crash, but IT DOES help with flying out of your seat during turbulence. Although, I'm wedged so dang hard in the seat, there's probably no amount of bumpy flight that could pop me out of that chair. All that aside, I have learned to be discreet when I ask for an extender. Usually I tell the flight attendant right as I'm getting on. I say, "Hello! I'm Sarah in seat 14A. Could I please have a seat belt extender brought to my seat?" I whisper, I make hand movements so I don't need to say "extender" out loud, it's all very discreet & no one has mocked me or shamed me. You could ask for 2 extenders if you're worried, but if you can physically fit in the chair, you'll probably be able to use just one.

EXTRA SEAT: I used to dream of having an extra seat, especially when I fly alone. it's embarassing to "spill over" onto another person's seat, and people tend to be less than polite about it. If you can afford this, it might be the best thing to do. You need to be calm and comfortable on these flghts!! Not squished and stressed out. Although, if you're going to shell out for an extra seat....

FIRST CLASS: BIG-A$$ seats, no pun intended. They are amaaaazing. I've only flown 1st class for my 30th birthday, and it was incredible. I fit in the seat!!!!! Virgin America seems to have the biggest regular "coach" seats, and their first class is so roomy, I couldn't believe it.

I hope this info helps a bit! I fly a lot, PM me if you have a question.

I flew last Sept and purchased 2 seats, the aisle and middle seats. I did not want to be the fat person that hangs over into the aisle and onto the person next to them. I also asked for a seatbelt extender when I first got on the plane. It was well worth the extra money to buy 2 seats. I was comfortable and it made the trip much more enjoyable.

I've just heard horror stories about bigger people trying to fly - not to mention comfort level since I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling great on the way back. I appreciate all your suggestions!

Southwest Airlines is your BEST option! I know for a fact that they will give you two seats at no extra charge! Just when you check-in make sure to tell them...usually they are good at offering it to you if they see that you are overweight. I know it sucks but at least you wont have to pay for a 2nd seat and this will be your last time having to worry about this :)

One of the things I'm looking forward to most after losing weight will be flying. Maybe "looking forward to" isn't the best way to put it, but I think you know what I mean. The topic of air travel comes up a lot since many of my friends here (I live in Germany) are other expats. Everyone loves to complain about flying and how they're packed in like sardines, but I always just want to yell at them "You have no idea how easy you have it!"And if I do mention that maybe they need to check their thin privilege in this case, they're always, "Well, flying is hard for everyone." Which I know is true, but c'mon, clearly there's a difference here! Also, they never understand why I pay extra to make sure I get one of the emergency exit rows at the front (the one with no seats in front of you at all), and imply it's a waste of money. Ok *rant over*