Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2014 Sleevers

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping through the night? 3rd day post op and it's been like this since I came home. I used to sleep 8-10 hours no problem. No I'm lucky if I get 3-4 before waking up. And then it takes forever to go back to sleep. Ugh.

That does change and you will go back to sleeping through, I was the same and it lasted about 10 days.

I was sleeved on the 3rd March, the first week was sheer hell, I came round from the op in complete agony and then I took an infection in the largest of the incisions and had to be put on strong antibiotics to clear it.

I struggled like crazy for the first week to get fluids in, tea tasted disgusting, Water was horrid, and I was miserable and wondering what the hell I had done to myself. Week 2 was not much better, I was still sore from the infection and got hit with horrible head hunger, I ended up crying over my husband making himself toast of all things. By half way through the second week I was feeling so much better and had got a grip on the head hunger and the fluids and was reaching targets easily through swapping to sugar free squash. I was even able to start enjoying a cuppa again.

I still can not tolerate Protein drinks or powders, they are the one thing that makes me sick, so this week my dietician gave me the all clear to start eating soft meats like minced beef, turkey and chicken in gravy and deli ham etc in order to get Protein in and so far so good, I am feeling so much better and being able to eat more normal foods is great.

So to anyone struggling it does get easier and goes get so much better.

Thanks for the encouragement!!! I really needed that!!!

I came home yesterday afternoon- my surgery was on the 25th. My pain was very manageable with the pain medicine and I slept alot! I struggled with nausea alot- oh it was horrible- everytime I sat up, got up or got a medication into my IV line, my mouth got all wet like I was going to throw up. They adjusted my anti nausea medication and adjusted my bed so I was sleeping in more of an upright position. Focused breathing helped me work through it too. I haven't had any nausea since being home. YAY!

It's funny everyone says don't buy your shakes beforehand because your tastes change, but when your trying to get organized before surgery and have the things you need it's tempting not too. I spent $85 at GNC on shakes (which I did use on the pre-op diet) But even the sight of the container turns me off now.

My NUT said I could have greek yogurt in stage 2 (plain or spit out any chunks) I had a 5.3 oz container of vanilla chobani,,,I at it over an hour and 15 minutes ;) But it tasted good and real! I'm having 1/2 cup Tomato Soup made with skim milk, the warmth is soothing and provides 6 grams of Protein that chicken broth does not.

Good luck everyone, keep posting, it's inspiring!

Edited by kimpossible80

I had my sleeve on 3-24-14 the morphine was horrible but they switched it and by the day I went home I felt better. My left side is extremely sore and tender which in turns makes my back hurt. This is the worst part is being sore! I'm on liquids till Monday which is fine. I'm unsure if I'm hungry, full or in pain which I know sounds crazy! I drank two sips of Protein Drink and was in the bathroom shortly following in fiery pain from my bottom. Today was my first day back at work and in exhausted trying to get my fluids in is hard I have had 14oz of Water and a few bites of Soup. I don't want to over do it that Is what worries me.

Yes, I think we all had those moments of "why".... But I am only 8 days post-op, saw my doc, and I lost 11 lbs. I went shopping last night, and I feel much better.

It is amazing what a few days can do. Keep the hope.

Many of you are asking about better tasting Protein Shakes. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe two weeks after I was sleeved & the store manager suggested for me to try a Protein Shake called nectar. Nectar was on the list of Protein shakes my doctor suggested. The store manager said Nectar was the most popular amongst bariatric patients. I bought the double stuffed cookie flavor.... it is YUMMY!! One scoop with 8 oz of skim milk is a total of 31 grams of protein! I highly suggest for you guys to try this brand! :-)

Hey all! I had my sleeve surgery on 3/26. Day 3 I am still having trouble getting my Protein in. I cannot stomach the shakes and protein bullets. I did really good on my pre-diet with my protein so I am really frustrated! Any suggestions how to get through this clear liquid stage?

<p>Hey all! I had my sleeve surgery on 3/26. Day 3 I am still having trouble getting my Protein in. I cannot stomach the shakes and protein bullets. I did really good on my pre-diet with my protein so I am really frustrated! Any suggestions how to get through this clear liquid stage?</p>

How about unflavored Protein Powder? It's supposed to be flavorless, and not change the texture of what you add it to. There is also Isopure protein Water @ GNC & Vitamin Shoppe. Good luck

Hi all, my surgery is on Tuesday 3/25. How are all the other March sleevers doing?

I had my sleeve done on 3/17. I've been fat for 26 years which is majority of my life. First 3 days miserable. Each day gets better. Today was bad for me because I so badly wanted some kind of food I could feel in my mouth. I tried Peanut Butter just a taste and garlic hummus. Did just fine but I'm miserably full. Feeling guilty. I even chewed two crackers a cookie a thin slice of salami. All I did was chew and spit it out. I'm going to my Dr next week and asking for extra support. My relationship with food has to end.

I had my sleeve on 3-24-14 the morphine was horrible but they switched it and by the day I went home I felt better. My left side is extremely sore and tender which in turns makes my back hurt. This is the worst part is being sore! I'm on liquids till Monday which is fine. I'm unsure if I'm hungry, full or in pain which I know sounds crazy! I drank two sips of Protein drink and was in the bathroom shortly following in fiery pain from my bottom. Today was my first day back at work and in exhausted trying to get my fluids in is hard I have had 14oz of Water and a few bites of Soup. I don't want to over do it that Is what worries me.

We seem to be living in a parallel universe because I just read your post and felt like I was reading my own. Sleeved the same day, same pain, same response to trying protein! The pain on my left side is so intense though that I could not possibly be back to work. At rest it is non-existent, nut when I move about I want to cry out. How can this pain be worse than it was 2 days post-op? Baffling.

On a happy note, down 13 lbs since pre-op diet/7 since surgery so that's exciting. Not regretting anything, but surely ready to be out of pain and off meds.

I had my sleeve on 3-24-14 the morphine was horrible but they switched it and by the day I went home I felt better. My left side is extremely sore and tender which in turns makes my back hurt. This is the worst part is being sore! I'm on liquids till Monday which is fine. I'm unsure if I'm hungry, full or in pain which I know sounds crazy! I drank two sips of Protein drink and was in the bathroom shortly following in fiery pain from my bottom. Today was my first day back at work and in exhausted trying to get my fluids in is hard I have had 14oz of Water and a few bites of Soup. I don't want to over do it that Is what worries me.

We seem to be living in a parallel universe because I just read your post and felt like I was reading my own. Sleeved the same day, same pain, same response to trying protein! The pain on my left side is so intense though that I could not possibly be back to work. At rest it is non-existent, nut when I move about I want to cry out. How can this pain be worse than it was 2 days post-op? Baffling.

On a happy note, down 13 lbs since pre-op diet/7 since surgery so that's exciting. Not regretting anything, but surely ready to be out of pain and off meds.

I wonder if you're suffering from gas pains? They put quite a bit of air into our stomachs to do the procedure laproscopically.

I had my sleeve done on march 10, 2014. dr. Ponce was the doctor that performed my surgery. it was done at hospital jerusalem. i arrived at the San Diego airport and called the transportation line. i was thrilled to know the driver was already there waiting on me…..that's with my plane landing 15 min. early. i was taken to the hospital that sunday evening where i was served a wonderful clear type of Soup. although i have been to Mexico many times, i was nervous. i had always been there as a tourist never a patient. the next morning i was taken to get my EXG which the doctor said looked great. my iv was started and i was prepared for surgery. i was the first patient to have surgery that day. that was a good thing. Dr. Ponce and his associates came in the room to talk to me and ask if i had any questions, and to make sure i understood exactly what the process was. my only concern was getting a leak, which i told him. he told me the chance of that was one in a million. that put my mind at rest. i woke up back in my private room, and was immediately given my pain meds and something for nausea. i did throw up a few times, but that was it. i did not suffer any real pain. i felt like i had been punched in the stomach but that was it. that first night i did not sleep well and my nurse keep coming in to check on me. there was a call button right by the bed, however, i never had to use it because they keep a really good watch on me. the next morning i was greeted with a frozen banana pop. it was great. on the third day after surgery those of us that had surgery on monday went for our leak tests and all passed! while waiting at x-ray the four of us walked in the parking lot. i could not have asked for a better group of people to have had surgery on the same day as i did. we all developed a close support group with each other, which was great. my neighbor in the next room had her husband with her and i could hear her laughing from time to time at a movie. her husband was right there for all of us too. one thing i noticed was that the hospital feed the guests that were with the patients very well. they didn't have to leave to go find something to eat. they were taken very well care of. one of the doctors, himself, made us all soup one night. it was a really cool experience. i would not change it for the world. i am so excited about living a great, healthy life from this point on. oh…almost forgot to mention the hospital liaison was there for my surgery. she kept my husband posted on my surgery as to what was going on and my recovery. she was a god send. my husband could not be there because of work, so she stood in the gap for him. she took such great care of all of us. so we had it really good. great doctor, fabulous nurses, and the best coordinator you could ask for. so here i am 19 days out and feeling fabulous! i love my sleeve. it does take some getting used to, but i am so happy i did this. there was a girl on here i chatted with and she helped me make my decision. i would like to return the favor. if anyone needs reassurance or has any questions, i'll be more than happy to help.

always,

mississippi girl

<p>I came home yesterday afternoon- my surgery was on the 25th. My pain was very manageable with the pain medicine and I slept alot! I struggled with nausea alot- oh it was horrible- everytime I sat up, got up or got a medication into my IV line, my mouth got all wet like I was going to throw up. They adjusted my anti nausea medication and adjusted my bed so I was sleeping in more of an upright position. Focused breathing helped me work through it too. I haven't had any nausea since being home. YAY!</p> <p> </p> <p>It's funny everyone says don't buy your shakes beforehand because your tastes change, but when your trying to get organized before surgery and have the things you need it's tempting not too. I spent $85 at GNC on shakes (which I did use on the pre-op diet) But even the sight of the container turns me off now.</p> <p> </p> <p>My NUT said I could have greek yogurt in stage 2 (plain or spit out any chunks) I had a 5.3 oz container of vanilla chobani,,,I at it over an hour and 15 minutes ;) But it tasted good and <em>real</em>! I'm having 1/2 cup Tomato Soup made with skim milk, the warmth is soothing and provides 6 grams of Protein that chicken broth does not.</p> <p> </p> <p>Good luck everyone, keep posting, it's inspiring!</p>

i had my surgery on March 26 th and I agree that the nausea and vomiting on the first 2days were the worst. I am on day 4 now and feeling much better. The pain is minimal and I'm able to take in fluids much easier today. I'm allowed full liquids now which is a good change from all the Jello and broth. I'm having some trouble with high blood pressure which almost kept me in the hospital an extra day but if it continues by Monday I will see my primary doctor.

5 days out.im so hungry I'm going crazy.water , Soup, and Protein Shake all nasty tasting.i have a sweet taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of . ((((Ugh)))) I need something else to eat by sides this stuff. OMG help me please! !!