Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV... and this is one thing that makes it worthwhile

i just came back from a trip to a warm climate and I never once felt awkward about wearing sleeveless or otherwise dressing in comfortable vacation wear (shorts, tank tops etc). I saw some photos of myself looking alarmingly like a normal person. Even though I have been at maintenance awhile, I still sometimes am shocked that I look okay. The place I went had a lot of really thin/skinny American women (the expats and retirees tended to be quite trim due to the active lifestyle they are drawn to there) so I was feeling kinda fat until i saw those photos and just felt that i looked okay. I didn't lose weight for looks, but it is a real confidence builder to just feel like you "fit in" I even bought a top at a store and didn't worry about if they would have anything that I could squeeze into.

So, although maintenance at times is work, it's worth it since day to day life is just better when you are fit.

I think that's amazing. To feel normal. To not stand out and to just fit in

Aside from health benefits it's one of the most important nsv you can have. Congratulations

How wonderful! Congratulations!

I'm with y'all!!! I go on vacation in about 2 weeks...sunny, tropical climate...probably not going to get a chance to do the bathing suit thing (thank goodness...no one wants to see cottage cheese woman!!!) but I did get some sleeveless items (thank you, Goodwill!!!) and capri...there will be parts of my body that haven't seen the sun in decades! LOL ... even tho I'm not at maintenence yet, the amount I have lost versus what I weighed makes me feel SO good about ME :) ....and that, also has been DECADES!

'

Can't wait to feel warmth again! At my 3 month psych visit yesterday, the psychologist asked how I would feel this summer. I said, "I'm not worried about it. I never worried before." Then I saw the picture of me from last summer that they keep in my file at the bariatric center and couldn't believe it! I need to get a copy of it to post here as my "before" picture. The changes are already amazing!

You deserve all the best! You have worked hard to feel wonderful.Congratulations!

Did you have to mention a warm climate we are still in a deep freeze here in Eastern Canada! :(

Being normal is soooooo underrated. But fitting in matters, whether we realise it or not.

You must have felt amazing but you deserve to, you have worked hard - and suffered. Time to enjoy the new you, you continue to inspire me as I contemplate surgery for the lumps and bumps that ain't going to go without help...

I saw a photo of myself recently on a mission, I had a heavy coat on under body armor, a scarf around my head, heavy duty pants and boots, and I did not look fat. I was startled by how normal my legs looked, they were simply not fat, in any way. wow.

What a wonderful feeling that must have been.

I have never in my life worn shorts - or a tank top.

I wonder if I'll ever garner the courage for that.... Probably not (being a linen trouser, hide me away in billowy fabric kinda girl), but I'd certainly settle for 'normal'.

Way to go :)

I saw a photo of myself recently on a mission, I had a heavy coat on under body armor, a scarf around my head, heavy duty pants and boots, and I did not look fat. I was startled by how normal my legs looked, they were simply not fat, in any way. wow.

That is so cool Globe, sometimes you just have to see it with your own eyes in a different light.

That is so cool Globe, sometimes you just have to see it with your own eyes in a different light.

Globe and FYE, I did the same thing in the store yesterday. Was trying on some shoes and went back and looked again because my legs were so SKINNY! LOL

I LOVE skinny!