Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Questions

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow- 4 160 calorie Protein Shakes a day plus Clear Liquids. I am very nervous about this as I tend to get anxious when I get hungry. Anyone else have a strict pre-op diet? Mine is to shrink my liver, which is enlarged due to fatty liver. I understand that a smaller liver will make the surgery easier, but man, I am not looking forward to this!

Most people are surprised about the pre-op diet and how easy it is to stay on it. Overall, that's the feeling I get from reading all the posts. That was also my experience. I was afraid I was going to feel dizzy, shaky, etc. Instead I felt great! With the constant Protein, your blood levels will be stable and you will not feel physically hungry - mentally it is a bit more challenging. As a result of my non-cheating, my liver did shrink for surgery and the procedure was very smooth. My diet was Optifast 800. 3 shakes/day plus two bars and clear liquids.< /p>

Good luck!

That's great to hear. I've been so worried as this is my one shot at the DS- my insurance changes in May and the new insurance won't cover my surgery.

Very hard two weeks for me.... But, you can bet your ___ ___ ___ I followed that liquid diet. I had gone though too much to blow it then (I'm sure you did too). First time in my life I felt actual hunger. I also drank a few hot cups of beef broth and chicken broth each day. Gave me something savory as opposed to just sweet. Plus, it filled me when I was feeling hunger. I had to repeat my mantra often during those days.... "I can do ANYTHING for two weeks.... I can do ANYTHING for two weeks!" Over and over again.

PS. I did stick to it 100%

Best Wishes

Just drink water/unsweetened tea when you are hungry.

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow- 4 160 calorie Protein Shakes a day plus clear liquids. I am very nervous about this as I tend to get anxious when I get hungry. Anyone else have a strict pre-op diet? Mine is to shrink my liver, which is enlarged due to fatty liver. I understand that a smaller liver will make the surgery easier, but man, I am not looking forward to this!

yes i had 2 1/2 weeks liquid before surgery and 2 weeks after liquids..it was brutal the first 4 or 5 days.....but it is doable..(liquids in means liquids out so keep immodium AD handy).....what got me through it was SF popsicles and a lot of keeping my mind busy, going to bed early etc.....but the main reason i did it was my dr said if he operated and my stomach/liver wasnt like it needed to look, he wouldnt do the surgery.....that scared me to death...and it made me do what i had to do in order to have the surgery i did......dont be nervous....do it and make yourself well...YOU CAN..

I was lucky in that it was only 2 days of liquids. But I ate a lot of Jell-o. Is that permitted on your plan (not red, or similar colors, of course)

Edited by Postop

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• Krestel

Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
    • SabrinaGoddess

I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

· 0 replies
    • SabrinaGoddess

Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

· 0 replies
    • drac2you

Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

Thank you and good luck to you!

2. SabrinaGoddess

WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

• Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs