Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This weekend I tackled a job that I had been avoiding for a while. I decided to clean out my clothes closet. To be honest it was loooong overdue. I actually have two others that need cleaned too, and will be done in the next few weeks. ( Spring cleaning even if it doesn't feel like spring!) I had so much in my closet (hanging clothes) that I had been resorting to throwing my clothes over a chair in my room. Well I finally got sick of seeing that pile so I busted out the big green garbage bags and got busy. I honestly believe I had a mini emotional breakdown during the process because I suddenly got VERY sleepy and took a two - three hour nap. ( I wasn't tired but I was overwhelmed) I woke up and decided to "git er done" and finished the task. I had to try on a lot of items that I had stored in there, not knowing what would or would not fit. Everything is sized so differently, so the only way to know was to put it on. I ended up with FOUR 1/2 of those green leaf bags FULL of clothes to donate, as well as a full bag of ones I threw out because of stains or holes. I also have my double closet bar about 2/3rds full again of hanging clothes, although they are not crammed together. There is a lot of room to let them hang and not get wrinkled. Anyway, I found that I have a lot of capri length pants I can wear for spring that fit me nicely right now. Hopefully by summer they too will go to the donation pile, but for now I have a decent amount of clothes to chose from. And they really FIT nice! Two pair of denim capris fit well around the waist ( so don't feel like they are falling off) but are actually baggy everywhere else. Last time I remember wearing them they cut into my stomach at the waist and were tight around my gut and hips. Now there was a small let down in a couple pair of pants I just knew would be too big, but they weren't. I think I have a warped sense of memory as to how they really used to fit. I weigh less now than I have since I owned anything in there. ( except for maybe a couple sweaters) I did have a hard time letting some things go. I am not someone who buys clothes a lot. I find good pieces and will wear them for years. I had a few tops/sweaters that I strongly considered holding on to, only to end up putting them in the bag. I never have been one to wear tight clothes so if the were sort of baggy on me at 316lbs, then they would be ridiculous on me at 238lbs! ( and even worse by next fall /winter when I would wear again) I think this whole thing was a little hard for me because I still have a hard time seeing the me I am now, not who I was 78lbs ago. I still have major "fat" days. I still struggle with eating the right things. And heck, I still have PMS so that compounds ALL the negative!!! LOL I am trying, I really am. I think getting rid of the old clothes is a step in the right direction for me. I am finally saying "never again". Even if I never drop further than I am now, ( God willing that does NOT happen and I get down to goal) at least I won't be where I was.

I love my closet now. Its such a pleasure to look in and know everything in there fits. I don't have a ton of clothes taking up room that I hoped one day to get into again, they now fit or are big. Its nice to have lots of room to move things around and see everything you have at once, and freeing to just pick anything and know it will fit and look nice. I don't need to keep spending money on new things in hope they made me look thinner or not too fat.

Don't fret about it enjoy the freedom of not having clutter.

I did a sort of motivational stripping of the closet. If it was big stuff, I got rid of it right away. I had plenty of smaller sized clothes, so I dug them out of storage and filled the closet. So now I gotta lose to fit into anything and there is nothing left for for any weight regain possibility.

Added note: I'm sure to look ridiculous because when you've kept clothes around for over twenty years, alot has gone out of style. :o

I too have this issue. It was easier for me to get rid of some of the bins I had stored in my attic, since I don't wear those clothes much. They were too big I donated them no problem.

Now though, I find myself out of clothes to wear to work. I have a bunch of dress pants and suits that just no longer fit. I tried cinching them in with a belt but I look a bit like bozo the clown as they balloon around me all over the place. I spend the whole day uncomfortable and not feeling good about myself in them at all.

I'm still losing and I don't want to run out and buy new ones. I am back into a few smaller pants I had worn about 9 years ago when I lost about 50 pounds (of course over time I gained that and more back) now that it's gone again I can at least use them for this spring.

It's emotional and overwhelming and exciting and all those things. I have some really good clothes I hate to let go of but once they are in the bag, it's like tearing off a bandaid.

I have to tackle the main closet this weekend, and before I store the "winter" coats again I'll have to get rid of a few really awesome favorites. They are huge on me now, and even with a sweater or sweatshirt under...they are just too darn big..and that makes me a happy sad sorta crazy :huh:

This must have been the weekend for clearing out closets. I did the same thing. However for me I was THRILLED to be getting rid of all of those things that reminded me of the the days when I couldn't tie my shoes or walk 20 steps without being out of breath. I was ripping those clothes right off the hanger and out they went with a SMILE:-) I know what you mean though about not wanting to spend money on clothes when you're still in the transition phase, I felt that way too and then I stopped and thought about it in a different way. I'm not spending money eating out all the time, our grocery bill has gone and with every accomplishment there should be a reward so what I started doing is every week I go and buy a shirt or a pair of pants or an accessory of whatever it is I want. I've done that throughout my journey and yes there were alot of things I had just bought that I had to get rid of because they didn't fit but that's ok I will get something else to replace those and honestly it felt great.

I have got rid of a ton of clothes over the last ten months. My husband has his side of the closet back, but not because I have few clothes. It's because both my girls have moved out so I now have not one, but TWO double closets to use, in addition to my half of the walk-in closet I share with my husband! And I am up to the challenge of supplying these additional closets with an all new warm-weather wardrobe in size 8 (last summer I was a size 18/20). I have one already full of beautiful clothes for spring and summer. I might make the other a shoe closet... Lol

Life is good! :-)

I have got rid of a ton of clothes over the last ten months. My husband has his side of the closet back, but not because I have few clothes. It's because both my girls have moved out so I now have not one, but TWO double closets to use, in addition to my half of the walk-in closet I share with my husband! And I am up to the challenge of supplying these additional closets with an all new warm-weather wardrobe in size 8 (last summer I was a size 18/20). I have one already full of beautiful clothes for spring and summer. I might make the other a shoe closet... Lol

Life is good! :-)

Love how you think!!!;)

Well I haven't lost enough to get rid of alot of things yet (except for winter stuff now), but have noticed that some of the things I held onto from my past are fitting better still a bit tight, but just move them aside for the next few pounds that come off...so I think I might have a give away weekend this weekend of the winter stuff...knowing that by next year everything will be way too big!!! So at least I am thinking smaller...LOLRH!!!

Loved alot of these posts they made me laugh and also made me sad and because somethings I will need to give away I never wore, but they will all be going to the Goodwill.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone!!!

I recently went through the same process. I didn't try much on. My weight has changed so much over the past 10 months (when I started taking off weight pre-surgery) that only currently purchased items fit. The thing I DID enjoy was looking at my old clothes and realizing how much more I like what I have now. Previously, ALL my clothes were a compromise to my size. If they fit, I bought them. It is only now, with nearly 140 lbs gone, that I can enjoy the pleasure of buying clothes because they look more like me. And I still have 60 lbs to go! I can't begin to imagine how it will feel to buy clothes yet at goal. I try to enjoy the process... Can't focus too much on the future.

Edited by Wendy L

Good for you for getting it done even though you were initially overwhelmed. I totally get the part about mourning the loss of a favorite item.

The rewards are many, but there are some moments that are difficult - even if it seems like they shouldn't be.

Go you!