Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've been being the supportive wife researching the food end and looking all through the feeds on this site. I've even been stressing the "right" foods and am doing the majority of the diet with him (we are pre-op now, which is 2 weeks high Protein, meats, veggies and shakes; we go down to Clear Liquids at the 2-days mark). Aside from the struggle of getting him to follow the pre-op diet, I've found a new problem.

I've been reading posts from ppl who are barely over 200 pounds, many around 230 pre-WLS, who are having or have had surgery. I am 300 pounds and have never considered surgery as a option. I am looking forward to my husband's surgery as a way to get back to eating right without the influence of unhealthy foods and working out without the influence of staying home. But seeing those posts make me feel worse about my weight and has me wondering if i should be considering a sleeve. I mean they are no where NEAR my weight and had surgery!! I know I will finally be losing weight again and should be keeping it off this time, but geesh! Should i be having WLS, too???

Only you can decide that. :)

I was determined not to have surgery. I lost weight so many times "the right way". I exercised daily and was in great health with the exception of my obesity.

I finally decided that I was tired. Bone tired. I couldn't continue to put the strain on my feet, knees and hips. The yo yo dieting was horrible for my heart. The mental stress of obsessing about diets and points and carbs and fat and measuring and logging and everything else diet related was totally wearing my arse out. I finally decided that enough was enough.

That was just me, though. You can't do this unless you are sure it's the choice for you. That may never be the case. :)

Don't let what you see on this site influence you to do something you are not ready for, or interested in. If you feel strongly that you can get healthier by following your husband's food plan and by working out, then that's what you do. There are people on this site who were in excess of 300 lbs. and other who were under 200 lbs. Every journey is different and everyone has to go on their own journey. Follow your journey as you see fit and if you decide at some point to have WLS, do it because you want to or need to, and not because others who started at a lower weight are doing so. Good luck to you and the hubby.

For me, I considered WLS on and off for the past 10 years or so. Something clicked in me last summer - I realized I was wasting time and I wasn't doing it on my own, even though I was trying. I felt like if I didn't do something drastic, my destiny was to be fat, unhealthy and very unhappy the rest of my life.

Only you can decide if WLS is right for you - maybe it is somewhere down the line, maybe it isn't. But I will tell you, if you decide to do it, you would be "all in".

Best of luck to you you both!

Although my weight is 207, consider that I'm 52 yrs old and only 5'1". Also, I have High blood pressure, High Cholesterol and type 2 diabetes with a family history of heart disease. My health issues are what's driving me to take control of my life and fix it before it's too late. I have far too many things to do still. Each person has their reasons for wanting to do this or for not doing it. WLS is a very personal decision that only you can make for yourself.

I'm one of those people who had WLS but only weighed 235 when I started the pre-op diet. My BMI was 40, I have high blood pressure, am borderline diabetic, and suffer from back and joint pain. I'm only 23! Even my surgeon said I was too young to have all those medical problems. I chose to get LapBand surgery because of all the health problems I was facing, not so much the number on the scale. I have been struggling with my weight my entire life and it was just time to take control of it.

Only you can decide if WLS is right for you, but it's worth considering if you feel like you truly cannot make the lifestyle change on your own. Don't even worry about the number on the scale in comparison to others because it's about your level of health, not pounds! I wish you and your husband the best of luck :)

OK I hope this helps. My husband had lap-band in 2009. I was right by his side. I did lose some weight with him. He lost 50 pounds with no fill. I was diagnosed as pre diabetic 4 years ago. I stepped up and started exercising watching my sugar and eating right. I lost 25 pounds. Well I put it back on and my husband gained some of his weight back as well. My husband had only had a few vomiting episodes. Mostly with Panda Express for some reason. I felt that he did not follow the Dr.s instructions very well. He never went back for follow ups. His surgeon was 3 hours away. I decided to get the lap band. It took about 6 months from the beginning to the actual surgery 12-27-2012. I almost backed out. I have lost app. 50 pounds. My lowest weight has been 181. I go up to 184 and back down. I feel great. I have had some stuck episodes. I have horrible shoulder pain when I get a stuck episode. My goal weight is 150. I'm not sure if I will get that low but I continue to try everyday. Yes I would do it all over again. I got into a size 12 jean shorts this weekend. lol. My husband started seeing my surgeon for fills and has lost app. 30 more pounds. Doing this together sure does help one another. You have someone so close to help you keep on track. We love riding bikes and taking walks together. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Poohbear,

This is a serious surgery so only you can answer if you wish to have it. However this is my story.

My High weight was 301 at the beginning of Feb 2014, I decide to make an appt just to get info about the sleeve. Appt was 2/9/14. I have no insurance, and it was the main reason I didn't go sooner. After meeting with the surgeon that same day I decided to self pay and move on in journey to a healthier me. Started pre-op diet 2/12/14 lost 21 lbs, I had surgery 3/4/14, now down a total of 34 lbs. Best decision I ever made and I am only 2 week post-op.

Poohbear, This is a serious surgery so only you can answer if you wish to have it. However this is my story. My High weight was 301 at the beginning of Feb 2014, I decide to make an appt just to get info about the sleeve. Appt was 2/9/14. I have no insurance, and it was the main reason I didn't go sooner. After meeting with the surgeon that same day I decided to self pay and move on in journey to a healthier me. Started pre-op diet 2/12/14 lost 21 lbs, I had surgery 3/4/14, now down a total of 34 lbs. Best decision I ever made and I am only 2 week post-op.

WOW that was quick!

Congrats!

I started at 220 and now 187. It has been 4 months and I feel great having the LB. But it is a matter of your own desire to which journey you want to reach the goal. There are many paths. For me I accepted the reality I needed help to lose and maintain. GOOD LUCK

I started off at 232 but I'm 5'4 & have had gestational diabetes 3x with insulin & have pcos. Anyone I've told that I'm having it done (being banded tomorrow) has said "you're not that big". It's not about how big you are but your health. I'm petrified of having type 2 diabetes & know it's a real possibility. If loosing 60-75 lbs removes that risk or even eliminates it, it's worth it to me. That and I love being active but hate how my hips & knees feel adter. The decision is a personal one. You have to have exhausted other forms & if this is right, go for it.

You are so right Christy!

So I've been being the supportive wife researching the food end and looking all through the feeds on this site. I've even been stressing the "right" foods and am doing the majority of the diet with him (we are pre-op now, which is 2 weeks high Protein, meats, veggies and shakes; we go down to Clear Liquids at the 2-days mark). Aside from the struggle of getting him to follow the pre-op diet, I've found a new problem.<br>

I've been reading posts from ppl who are barely over 200 pounds, many around 230 pre-WLS, who are having or have had surgery. I am 300 pounds and have never considered surgery as a option. I am looking forward to my husband's surgery as a way to get back to eating right without the influence of unhealthy foods and working out without the influence of staying home. But seeing those posts make me feel worse about my weight and has me wondering if i should be considering a sleeve. I mean they are no where NEAR my weight and had surgery!! I know I will finally be losing weight again and should be keeping it off this time, but geesh! Should i be having WLS, too???

Poohbear,

I am also a spouse of a pre-op and I have felt the exact same way. I weighed 320lbs a my highest, and was at 306lbs when my husband made his decision to have surgery. We went to an informational meeting with the surgeon and there were lots of people my size and smaller. Also in researching I saw this alot. I want to be a supportive spouse, but I feel like people question my support since I am not having surgery.