Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I thought and hoped I would be an April bandster but I am definitely May. I will get my date in the next couple weeks. First insurance has to approve, then I get the date. For two weeks before the date I do a high Protein diet including liquid for two meals and one smaller regular meal per day. So..... that's how that goes. I am SOOOOOO excited to get this done and hoped it would be sooner so that I could enjoy some weight loss for summer.

Best of luck to you all!!!

Well I have exactly one month to go until banding! Have my pre-op meeting?Q&A and Pre-Admission Testing on May 1 and then surgery 3 weeks later on May 22.

Have lost 45 lbs. on the insurance-required, 6 month medically supervised diet, but more importantly have significantly changed my relationship to food (particularly portions!). My nutritionist isn't a fan of any weight loss surgery and keeps telling me that I can lose the rest of the weight - and keep it off - without the band. I have, respectfully, thanked her for all she has done for me so far, but firmly explained that I know myself better than she knows me. I need this tool at this point in my life. I want to live a healthier, livelier, longer and happier life for me, not to please a nutritionist or make her feel successful. And in fact, she has been successful with me - 45 lbs is nothing to discount, and helping me to change my attitude towards food has been enormously empowering. I did ask her early on if she ever had a weight problem. She answered she did. She was once "20 pounds heavier, so I understand what you are going through." I didn't say a word because unless you have been obese or morbidly obese, you can't begin to understand how we feel in the prison of our bodies.

Anyway, got off on a tangent there. What I really am trying to express is the empowerment I feel. This may be the first time in my life I am putting my needs in front of everything else. It feels great!

To more practical matters, my surgeon does not require a liquid diet before surgery, so I'm counting myself lucky! I did go shopping this weekend for my post-surgery supplies - liquid pain reliever, sugar free popsicles, gas-X (figure it's better to have it and not need it!), etc. So, I'm really ready to jump on the Band wagon!

So to all May Bandsters, good luck, good health and good futures to us all!

HI EVERYONE GREAT TO HAVE FOUND THE MAY BANDSTER THIS IS A GREAT SITE TO GET GREAT SUPPORT AND INFORMATION. I AM BEING BANDED MAY 14TH. I AM WORRIED ABOUT SURGERY BUT MORE AND MORE PEOPLE I TALK TO MORE MY MIND IS AT EASE. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST MONTH/YEAR OF OUR LIFE. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!

weight.png

Hi there

Everyone sounds like they are so excited, myself included!! I went shopping tonight for new comfortable pajamas and comfy sweatpants to wear post surgery. I went with a friend who just joined "lapband" 3/27. She has been an enormous source of info for me, as well as everyone here. Got the liquid tylenol, Unjury Protein (plain, chocolate, vanilla, and chicken flavor). I tried the chocolate and chicken, I'm sure the shakes will grow on me, eventually. Got plenty of crystal light on the go to add to bottles of Water, chicken broth, sugar free puddings, sugar free jellos. Think things are falling into place. Sorry to ramble, but I'm getting really excited! The liquid diet starts in 8 days!!

My date is May 11th! I wish it would hurry up and get here! I need lessons from you all on how to get the fancy pictures in your posts, LOL!

My pre-op BMI is 42. May should be interesting! Any idea how much to expect to lose in the first month?

ginger

Nimblebean,

GREAT response to your nutritionist. You sound like you know what you mean and you know what you need, and I too would have an issue with someone who's been 20 pounds overweight telling me that they know what it's like. I can honestly say that I didn't even know what's "it's like" when I was 40-50-60 pounds overweight. But now, with a good 100 or so to lose to get to my "healthy" weight, I will never, ever forget the pain I feel physically not able to run and play with my kids, or just climbing stairs and doing daily chores, and that's not even touching on the emotional part. No sir. No one who has actually walked a mile in our shoes cannot possibly know what we're going through and has no business telling us what is best for us. I think we all hear it though from various people don't we?

WELL I should find out by the 30th what my date is, and I am guessing it will be either the 10th or 17th of May. My surgeons day in surgery is Thursday so that's why I am guessing one of those two dates. This is unless my insurance denies me, but I really don't think they will.

Best of luck to you all!!!

Fluffy,

Good luck with the last hurdle - the insurance company! I hope you will join us here on the May Bandwagon!

It's great to have a group of us going through this together. It's the best support system I could have hoped for.

Health and Happiness!

Ginger

I was told that the first month is not a lot because the band is simply put in place. After 30 days then will be the first fill which is when we will feel appetite differences. The first month, while the band is in place but there is no fill yet, is supposedly very difficult.... JOY!!

I learned a lot at my informational appts - a lot to know, a lot to remember! That was on the 16th for me.

No one who has actually walked a mile in our shoes cannot possibly know what we're going through and has no business telling us what is best for us.

OOPS I meant that no one can know what's best for us UNLESS they've walked a mile in our shoes...

hey twinmommy, I'm getting banded on the 17th also. i have twin girls who will turn 13 on May 11th and they are very excited to have a mom who will be able to shop at the cool stores. I want them to be proud of me and not embarrassed of my weight. I start Clear Liquids on the 3rd and continue for at least one week afterwards. If that doesn't kill my food addiction then what will!

Love that there are so many of us on this site. It sure makes a difference when you can go through this with so many great people.

I have a date I have a date I have a date I have a date!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

May 10th! Knock on wood that insurance approves and it all goes with ease. Going from 1 liquid meal a day to 2 liquid meals a day immediately in preparation.

THANK YOU LORD.

*doing the snoopy dance* *it's not pretty, be glad you're not here watching*

Congrats on your surgery date Fluffy! You all will have to fill us in on how your experience goes. I can't wait, we start next week. I have to wait till the 17th for mine. OH HAPPY DAY!

Well, I started mine this morning... two weeks of nothing but protien shakes, no calorie/no carbonation drinks, broth and certain raw vegetables.

I can already tell you that I'll be stopping at the store on the way home for some big a$$ bags of chopped up celery, cauliflower and broccoli!

But, trying to be positive... it's not forever!

Well after much deliberation and fund raising I will be getting banded May 14th by Dr. Spivek in Houston, TX. I am a self-pay and although it is alot of money I am worth much more so here we go. Good luck to all and I hope we all get where we feel we should be.