Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Melissa,

The only one I like and can drink w/o grossing out is the GNC Syntha-6 chocolate. It has 190 calories and 22 grams Protein. I have a hard time getting to 1000 calories w/ regular food so this really helps. Its a little pricey but I can not drink or eat something nasty! LOL! go to gnc.com

Sandra

Okay, so this has not been a good week. We have VBS at church and I am in charge of overseeing 84 kindergarteners. YIKES! I stress eat really bad. I had my first ever slimming experience on a donut hole today. I have had one fill. I ate a kids cheeseburger w/o the top bun. I need a fill, right? Should I be able to eat that much? I know that was not a good food choice, but like I said it has been a rough week.

I use the HMR shakes. I LOVE the chocolate. Great stuff and they come in 1 serving packets so you can keep them at work or bring them with you.

Melissa, about the shakes, I prefer the kind that you can actually put in a blender with ice and Water and it comes out like a real shake. The first 3 products on this link are ones I like (never actually tried the strawberry). They may seem expensive, but they are 35 grams of Protein each, so I use half at a time. With the chocolate one, I make a Reese's shake by adding a teaspoon of Peanut Butter and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. Yummmm. I also freeze slices of banana or berries to add to these, or even pecans or walnuts. Ok, now look what you did! I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again! lol

Oh, also the "Bari" pudding/shakes farther down the list are cheaper, but one packet is a meal (unlike 2 for the others).

Low Prices and Free Shipping - Meal Replacement - Manage Your Weight

I looked some more and found them cheaper at this link, but not sure about the shipping (other place is free). I buy them locally for $19 a box so I think this is a pretty good buy.

Also, you can add the cottage cheese to any flavor to round out the Protein and add flavor and texture. Ok, I'm definitely having one of these tonight.

Southern Oregon Health and Wellness Products Catalog

More info:

V.H.P. shakes are a thick and delicious meal replacement formula manufactured by Bariatrix, a French Canadian company with long-term experience in weight management product development.

In addition to high quality, hunger satisfying protein, V.H.P. Shakes are a great source of antioxidants, Calcium, and B-complex Vitamins.

I ate a kids cheeseburger w/o the top bun. I need a fill, right? Should I be able to eat that much?

To me, that doesn't sound like more than a cup of food. Maybe even less than a cup? Regardless though, you may need a fill if you are feeling hungry a lot. That's where I am right now myself.

I think the kids cheeseburger sounds like a small amount.

I have really not been good about the Protein. I have not done any shakes pre or post op. I really feel like that is not something that I will do forever, so I didn't want to start. That makes me feel like this is just another bad diet. Does that make any sense? I am proud of all of you for finding protein that works for you!!

Where do you buy Unjury protein? Maybe that would help me get out of ruts!

I normally don't use the Protein Shakes (unless I talk about them too much!!) but Melissa was asking because it could be a good way to get some extra calories and Protein as a supplement for meals.

Normally for my protein I eat grilled chicken breasts, grilled fresh tuna, omelets with LF swiss cheese, boiled shrimp, ground turkey breast burgers, and lots of 1% cottage cheese with either berries, cantaloupe or tomatoes. I can see myself getting in kind of a rut with this because I don't eat beef or pork, so that narrows the choices quite a bit.

Tonight I stuffed peppers with onion, tomatoes, black olives, fresh mozzarella, corn off the cob and quinoa (a whole grain that has a high, complete protein content) but I don't always feel so creative. Maybe soon I'll take the time to get some easy recipes like this one under my belt and into the rotation for dinner.< /p>

Thank you all for you suggestions.. I'm in St. Louis for a week visiting the future in laws... but when I get back to Delaware I'll try the different shakes.

I too have strayed away from the shakes since being able to have solids. I usually get my Protein from chicken breast, yogurt, egg beaters, cottage cheese, beans...

I def. believe that the last fill worked.. I have some restriction.. but I'm thinking that I'll keep my appointment on the 1st to add a little more to it... yesterday I was able to eat one about 1/2 of a lean cuisine panini sandwich (left about a slice of bread) and I also ate about 1/4 of a philly pretzel while waiting at the airport... in my eyes ... not sure if I'm thinking on the right path or not.. but, I shouldnt be able to get down things like doughy bread so easily..

... on another note.. a HUGE NSV for me yesterday... got on the plane (first time flying in a year) and the seat belt fit fine... as a matter of fact.. I had to pull it tighter... about 5 inches or so of extra belt!! Made me smile...seeing how a year ago I was pulling and stretching and sucking in so I could get it buckled!!

Great NSV there!

It's so mortifying. Sometimes I will tuck both ends under my top and pretend it's latched! *shakes head* The last time I flew, I called the steward over and motioned him close to me and whispered, "Could you discreetly bring me a seat belt extension?" He was so sweet, he nodded and came back with it hidden under a note pad. Mortifying nonetheless though.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to our favorite Mexican food restaurant. We always sit at one of the tables, but I'm always envious of those sitting in the cute booths in the window. When we walked in I paused by the only empty booth but decided it was probably a no go. I have a large stomach AND butt, so it may be a while before I fit there. I can wait though. And once I fit in it, I'll never have to think about it again.

I took my daughter and sister to Mexico about 5 years ago and had to ask for a seat belt extension... I felt so embarrassed that I allowed myself to gain back what I had previously lost...which was about 40 lbs.. Thankfully now thats all a thing of the past!!

I think the kids cheeseburger sounds like a small amount.

I have really not been good about the Protein. I have not done any shakes pre or post op. I really feel like that is not something that I will do forever, so I didn't want to start. That makes me feel like this is just another bad diet. Does that make any sense? I am proud of all of you for finding protein that works for you!!

Where do you buy Unjury protein? Maybe that would help me get out of ruts!

Ginger,

Go to WWW.UNJURY.COM. They let you order by credit card, or by check over the phone, or just mail them a check. I usually receive mine within 2 - 3 days. They're great about returns, I tried the chicken Soup and did not care for it. They said to send it back and sent me a different flavor. I still only use it with the cib no sugar added, in the morning on the way to work. For the chocolate, add an icecube and blend it. For the vanilla, I add some frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries. Yummy!

Looks like everyone is doing so good. My scale is stopped. Keep going between the same 3 pounds. I have a 1 cc fill which I thought was fine, I really don't eat that much. Maybe that's the problem. Guess I should add maybe another Protein Shake to my day?:help:

RE: Protien shakes

My Doc insists that we take protien shakes, he says for life. It's the low carb protien suppliments, not meal replacement shakes. These are the same shakes that body builders use to stay lean but keep muscle. I think there is some merit to my Doc's requirement. With the reduced volume that we are eating is is hard to get enough protien in your diet. The nutritioist a I work with (Phd) says I need about 90 grams a day, that's almost 4 chicken breast or 3 cup of cottage cheese a day...there's no way I can eat that much. I use a protien shake for Breakfast each day (30 grams), I ususally make it into a mocha, so I have my coffe drink just like most of america. I usually have one for a snack in the afternoon or evening too.

You really have to search around, I HATED the meal replacement drink diets I tried in the past...yuck. Keep trying until you find one you like. I love Champion Nutrition (chocolate and mocha) and Syntac (sp?) lemon (as a smoothy base...add frozen fruit). My kids even love to make smoothies out of my protien too.

Hi Friends,

I found this recipe from another lapbander, her name is Photonut.

It has 75grms of Protein and if you are counting calories about 500.

Here's the recipe:

2 cups skim milk

2 scoops protein powder-any flavor

1/2 banana

1 teasp. Splenda

1 can slimfast- any flavor

Blend

Drink all day long. You can put it in small bottles chilled or in a giant sipper cup. You can halve the recipe if calories are a problem then you will get 38gr protein and 250 cals. For me I really really need the protein because I get dizzy alot and even without the fill I am super restricted. Hope this helps.