Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Mammalee, I am so glad you said what you said. I hate to sound like such a goody-two-shoes here but I for one am not freaking out because my scales are not moving for a few days. I had my surgery May 21st and to tell you the truth, I'm still healing. I've lost more weight in the past month than I have in the past 6 months of dieting. I would like to eat regular food before I start thinking about my fill.

Comeon May Bandsters, chill a bit and let's learn how to deal with our hunger before we rely on a fill. Aren't there emotional issues we are suppose to be dealing with as we heal and learn how to deal with good food choices, and life long exercise?

I know for one, I am having a real hard time making my meals last 20 minutes, making sure I drink enough, and reaching for items in my fridge that I now realize I should be tossing and replacing.

I want us all to succeed...just my two cents.

Niblebean: Thanks for keeping the May calendar up to date!!!

Pockerprincess: Congratulations on being banded in the 31st. I was banded the same day, returned home Friday, and just resumed solitute in my house an hour ago.

I thank God I am loved and my family and friends have been VERY supportive, but I just needed my space back so I can try to get some sleep. I have not had any complications other than the gas and a lack of sleep. Walking is the only thing that is helping me at this time. Otherwise, no pain, just sore. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST, getting sleepy, so I'll sign on tomorrow

Thanks,

Michelle

I can't believe I'm on the other side!! I was banded the 31st, met the sweetest people at my surgery center, which was great since I was there alone.

Only issue now is a) I still am SO full of air, I look like I'm 9 mos pregnant! I can't even suck it in bc my incisions are too sore. LOL

And :myscared: I'm starving! I have been eating the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and Jello but I just can't get past the grumbling! I even cheated a little and

had DH make me some veggie Soup, which we pureed really well, but it was definitely more of a mush than a clear liquid. But 1/2 hr later -- starving again! I keep fantasizing about all sorts of foods that I normally wouldn't even care for, just bc I'm so famished. UGH. I'll be sitting there working on the computer, not thinking about eating at all, but the tummy won't stop rumbling!

Thank goodness doc lets us go to mushies 4 days post-op (which is either today or tomorrow, depending on how you count it). Mushy meals are going to be a real treat after 4 days of mostly Jello and broth!!

DH is dieting with me, but he grabs a handful of grapes or dips bread into his Soup, and he doesn't understand why I can't do the same (honey, how are grapes cheating?!). If I didn't have Mr Band, I would definitely be joining him! :-)

Hoping the hunger ends soon...

Dyanna

Hello Everyone,

I was banded on May 31st, but I just found this thread. I have no swelling at any of my incisions but I do have swelling of the gas. I am on liquids for 14 days and puree foods for another 14. My doctor has told me that until you have your fills, the band has no restriction. The restriction we feel after the surgery is the swelling of the stomach. As the stomach heals and the swelling goes down we can eat more and more and we will go hungry. My goal so is to maintain until I have my fills. Everything I lose will be a bonus. The surgery was very easy for me, some pain but no other problems. The bed rest however, and trying to turn without moving too much, has triggered Sciatica pain today. I’ve never had pain this bad before.

I find I can not eat more than ½ a cup of liquid at a time, so I try to eat <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="17" Minute="55">5 to 6</st1:time> time a day. It is getting better however. Thank you everyone for letting me whine. :myscared:

So do the fills hurt???? also, do they num the skin with some lanicane or anything? I am a little nurvous. I dont know why, after going through the surgery you would think this would be nothing. My doctor said that if I am not feeling restriction that I can get a fill as soon as 3-4 weeks post op. so I am only about another week away from that! and let me tell you, I NEED it. I have been starving!! I would hate to put back on some of the pds. that I have been loosing. any input on the fills would be greatly appriciated.

Hello all:

I was banded on the 25th, and can honestly say that today is the first day that I feel like me again. I'm such a weenie when it comes to pain. I'm not sure about everyone esle, but I did not expect the amount of pain I encountered when I had my first BM. OMG, it woke me up from a dead sleep at 5 am one day last week. I thought I was going to die! Whew, glad I got that out of the way. Anyhow, I felt so good today that I decided to go for a walk at the local park. Walked only a mile but I'm hoping to progress to 2 miles by the end of the week. I have my post op appointment on the 7th and I can't wait to see how much weight I've lost.

Thanks everyone for your continued guidance and wish you well on this journey.

Hey bandmates - seems like we are all in the same place. Waiting for our first fill and getting hungry. I don't like this place because I am testing my limits. I feel great, with the exception of a swollen port area, and am doing everything I was before surgery. My doc is very conservative on the exercise and only allows walking for the first two months. My weight is still stalled which is crazy but the loss of inches made me feel better.

I am looking forward to the scale moving this week, walking everyday, and thanking those who are noticing the weight loss. My goal is to get through each day with a great attitude and eat only what is allowed. i am eating pureed now and don't get mushies for another week and a half. i am grateful for the pureed food and it feels limitless in what I can put in my bullet. It won't be long before we are all sharing our first fill stories!

I feel absolutely fabulous! The scale is not moving but then neither have I been so that is to be expected. I am going back to the gym for the first time tonight and am excited and nervous. I am excited because I feel like I wont be just spinning my wheels by working out and i feel so motivated! It is amazing how much HOPE having a band gives me. This weekend I felt so good I mowed the yard which is the most I have done since the 23rd.

Sunday I went out to eat with my extended family for the first time. Everyone was pretty curious as to how I would eat but it wasnt too bad. I was soooo nervous that something bad would happen because there wasnt too much on the menu that I felt comfortable with. If I have one more person say all I can eat is a grape I am going to choke them!!

I am getting my hunger back but so far have not had a problem making good food choices. I find myself not buying my family the kinds of Snacks and things I used to because the temptation would be too great. I am also more aware of what my kids are eating. The lap band really is a whole new life style and I find myself thinking about it all the time. Its so exciting and new that my mind just wanders to what a year from now will be like.

Okay, my ramble is over! Have a great week everyone. See you Thursday weightingtolose!

I am feeling great, too! I have more energy than before (although it would be hard to have any less!) and my arthritic knees already feel a little better. I haven't weighed since I went to the Dr. for my 10 day post-op, but I'm not obsessing on that anyway. I will weigh on the 12th when the fitness center I joined opens for business (Contours Express). They will have some trainers from corporate there that day and since I'm restricted by my Dr. to not do any abdominals the owner wanted them to help me with what I can and can't do. I'm so excited!!!

You know how, when you go on a diet, you have a whole new attitude just because you know you are trying? Well I feel that every moment of every day with no fear of failure! (I know it could fail, but it won't!)

My birthday is this weekend, and normally it would center around food. I always have girlfriends over for a party and until this year we would just gorge ourselves until we can barely breathe. This year will be different. I'm just going to have some deviled eggs, hummus and fresh berries. They won't mind because they are all rooting for me.

Celebrating with my family, we always go out to eat, so this year I chose a wonderful Japanese restaurant that has all kinds of choices for me. I just can't have any sake! :-) They'd have to roll me outta there!

Best wishes to those still recovering. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

For whatever strange and random reason the gas (trapped gas under my ribs) came back this morning.. very strange. It is no where near as bad as it was right after surgery... I just found that strange... anyone else experience this?

The scale moved again this morning! For the past 5 years I have been allergic to scales so I had no idea of what I lost/gained/weighed... When I first hit a plateau I was very discouraged..even though I knew it was gonna happen.. but to see the scale move again... I can't describe the feeling!!!

I've been riding my stationary bike at home nearly everyday... I have vowed to complete 400 minutes by the end of June and my goal is to ride at least 5 days a week. I'm no where near as exhausted as I was when I tried to ride when I was 27 pounds heavier. I feel great!

Melissa O- We must be twins! I got the gas back two nights ago. Shoulder pain really bad. It is better now. My hubby was laughing at me while I was assuming the baby position on our bed trying to get the gas to move (the honeymoon is def. over). I am also at a plateau, stuck at 247.5 every morning..........I am 5'5, how tall are you? We have the same goal weight. I started hitting the gym last week, the scale only moved a pound. UGH!

Twinmommy-

I'm 5'2... just a tad shorter than you!! I never really had shoulder pain...just under my ribs...felt like softballs jammed up there!!! I'm a bit afraid of going back to the gym... I'm limited to just light cardio right now.. Dr says no lifting/ab work for 3 months!! I'd be too tempted to get back on the resistance machines!!! I think when I go back in on 6/29 for my fill I'll talk to him about some light resistance training... I'll prob sign up for a Water aerobics class also. I'm just getting anxious to get back into a workout routine!!

I was banded May 31st and other than bad gas pain in my shoulders and neck I haven't had too many problems. Incisions are sore and abdomen is swollen (I look pregnant!). I found that the best thing for the gas aside from walking/rocking is a heating pad when I sleep at night. I am a stomach sleeper so it has been very difficult these past few nights.

Is anyone experiencing feelings that you can't distinguish? I can't tell between nausea, hunger, and gas pain. I feel better than I expected but overall I feel pretty weak and yucky. I am hoping this will improve.

I am also having major difficulty getting in enough water/liquid and enough Protein. The most liquid I have gotten in in one day is 40 oz and I feel like a Water balloon ready to pop.

Hope all is going well with everyone else. Stay in touch, and by the way. I have lost 8 lbs since surgery date for a total preop/postop of 20lbs!!!!!!

Melissa & Twinmommy...

I was just logging on to ask anyone about sholder pain. I didn't have any intil about day 4, but since then it's been awful! Friday night I was in more pain than at any part of the surgery, and that was day 9. I was walking up and down my block at 10:30pm, unable to talk because the pain was so intense. I'm at day 12 now, and every night it starts in. I know it's related to gas in my stomach, gasX seems to help some as does the walking. I'm finding that I'm not eating or drinking as much as I'm supposed to because I'm afraid of the gas that seems to come with eating & drinking.

Did anyone esle have consistent gas related sholder pain for this long and does it ever go away, I'm beginning to feel like it's going to stay this way forever.

Now that I'm done whining...I do feel great otherwise!

Sue, as I was telling Twinmommy.. I never had shoulder pain...it was all in my ribs... and the newly developed gas... I'm not sure what to blame that on.. my diet was perfectly normal yesterday. Best thing to do is get your fluids in and walk... it'll pass..