Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I have a question for some of you educated banders. Why no soda pops? Why no coffee or carbonated drinks is what my doctor told me but never said why. How about beer is that carbonated too? he said okay on deacaf tea and coffee. thanks in advanced for your replys. Does eat away at the band over a period of time or what?

Hey, I was banded on May 24, and the no carbonated is because the way the stomach is shaped and then when the band is placed the gas has to go down and then make like a u turn to go up and out the new smaller stomach and as for the coffee i was told just today, because i had a cup and then freaked, that they do that b/c it tends to upset the stomach i believe is how they put it. that is my 2 cents of uneducated information.

Hello All! I have had a rough day...............very hungry! Here are some of my thoughts on some of the posts after I caught up:

Smell-I noticed my husband smelling different to me. I thought I was going nuts, but I did notice it. Not bad, but just different? I could have picked him out of a room with my eyes closed before. Loved the smell! My deoderant smells different to me also.

Gym- I went to the gym for the first time since surgery (17th) today. Did 30 min on the treadmill & 30 on the bike. Much easier minus the extra 25lbs lost. I burned more calories than I consumed all day though....

Plateau- The scale has not moved in a few days for me. I go to the doc tomorrow (for some reason that makes the weight lost official to me). My thought is maybe I am in starvation mode. Not sure, but I should be losing weight!

Tommorrow will finally be my turn. Its surprising but as of right now Im not nervous or scared. Im not scheduled to be there until 2 pm so I have all morning to wait. This is going to be the hardest, since I cant even have my morning coffee much less a sip of Water. I hope they call me and tell me to come in early. I only live about 20 mins away. My Dr. requires a 24 hr stay so I will post my update probably late on Thursday. The 24 hrs dont start until I get to my room.

See you all in bandland:clap2:

Wow Christy, that is wonderful news about your cousin! I too was banded on May 21st and today is my first day back to work. I sit at a computer all shift and it hasn't been too bad. I mostly am very tired and wished I had taken this week off as well. I'm sure I will get through it. You and I have lost about the same amount of weight as well. It is very comforting that there are so many of us in the exact same boat! I don't know what I would have done without this forum.

I get off of work at 10pm and boy am I looking forward to it?

Tommorrow will finally be my turn.

Congrats! You will do great.

:clap2:

I was told (and I'd heard it before) that caffeine is an appetite stimulant. That's the last thing we need! I quit the coffee and soda a month before surgery, just to get one thing out of the way in advance.

I have a question for some of you educated banders. Why no soda pops? Why no coffee or carbonated drinks is what my doctor told me but never said why. How about beer is that carbonated too? he said okay on deacaf tea and coffee. thanks in advanced for your replys. Does eat away at the band over a period of time or what?

As far as the carbonation some people say the air will expand your pouch and yes beer is very carbonated. I have no answer for the coffee thing. All of our doctors tell us different things so just follow what yours has told you! You can also ask at your doctors office at your next appointment.

My doctor says they have been doing lap bands in Australia for a lot longer than in the US and they do not advise their patients to no drink carbonation or drink a certain amount of Protein Drinks and have weight loss & complication rates comparable to those in the US. Supposedly there is a study to support this but I have not seen it yet.

My doctor has told me I can have regular coffee and encouraged a daily glass of wine. Just follow your doctor's instructions!

My doctor said no caffeine during the first four weeks, until solids are introduced because of the appetite stimulant effect that it may have. But then he said coffee is A-OK! Thank goodness...I haven't been without my daily cup of coffee for this long since I was a teenager!

I too was told that wine actually is good for your digestion...thank goodness for that! I know I will be looking forward to that! My mouth is drooling right now thinking of it (that doesn't sound good since it is only 8:25am!) Oh well, it's the little things in life!

I, for the first time in a LONG time, am below 300 as of this morning's trip to the scale! I can't tell you how good I feel about that...makes all the uncomfortableness worth it! I needed the boost! Now I just have to get my butt in gear with more exercise, but my doctor said only walking until I see him in another week!

Hope everyone that was feeling down or in pain is doing better! Happy Wednesday to all of you! :confused:

I was told (and I'd heard it before) that caffeine is an appetite stimulant. That's the last thing we need! I quit the coffee and soda a month before surgery, just to get one thing out of the way in advance.

My Doc said the same thing about caffeine being a appetite stimulant, but he also said that caffeine causes dehidration, for every cup of coffee you drink, you need to drink an extra glass of Water. He said it is hard enough to stay hidrated in the first 4-6 weeks that you don't need caffeine making it worse. He also said it can cause reflux.

I've been told something completely different about the caffeine and carbonated drinks....

Caffeine can be an irritant to the stomach and digestive system, I remember this from my bouts with IBS.... when I had a flare, I'd have to stay clear of caffeine..one sip and I would be running the whole day.... Seeing how now we only have a small pouch to work with we run a larger risk of causing damage... as far as carbonated drinks go... the gas could cause it to expand and/or irritate just as the caffeine would... My Dr has us stay away from caffeine and "fizzy drinks" for good...

Our bariatric nurse (who also had bypass) said the biggest complication she sees is ulcers forming in the pouch..and 99% of the time its either from the patient smoking, taking NSAIDS or caffeine/soda use...

So..that means....no beer, no caffeinated starbucks (sob) or soda of any kind...

I had my 2 week Post Op appointment this morning...

The scale STILL hasn't moved...which my Dr assured me not to worry...he said he did not expect to see me lose until I'm on solids (in another 4 weeks)...just said to keep up what I'm doing and he'll fill me when I go back in 4 weeks!!

...BUT .... he did say that the hunger will get worse.... wonderful. GGRRR!

Kacee, OMG I can relate.....first day back at work yesterday. I sit at a computer all day so I thought it would be easy. About three o'clock got this horrible pain in my back, right between my shoulder blades. I planned to go to Dr. Spivaks support group, but I was miserable so I just went home. I almost didnt make it till 5 pm. I was glad to make it home and just lay on the couch....my husband made sloppy joes for him and the kids....I had some cream chiken Soup.< /p>

My doctor has told me I can have regular coffee and encouraged a daily glass of wine.

I want YOUR doctor!!

Just kidding...I think Dr. Spivak is awesome, but gosh, a REQUIRED glass of wine sounds GREAT!!!