Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Well my fellow bandsters! It will be two weeks on Tuesday since I was bandded! I feel good....still a little gas in the belly but besides that I know feel almost normal. I went shoe and make-up shopping yesterday. I have not done that in a loooooonnnnngggg time! I put on some capri's that I couldnt wear...and my husband went nuts! He was like you look sooooo sexy. I can tell you are shrinking! I felt sooooooo good after that....so thats when I hit the mall for shoes and make up and some new Versace perfume! Well I have 14 and that was since last Thursday....the scale is not moving as fast.....I am getting hungrier but still not consuming more that 900 calories a day. I will start on my threadmill today......I think some walking will do me good plus it may jump start my weight loss again. I may be loosing inches....I didnt measure myself before the surgery....but I did try on some shorts and I usually wear a tight size 20, but these were 18's and they were loose all over the place...I didnt buy them, but it sure felt good to know that my body is changing.

Dr. Spivak

Houston, Texas

Highest weight 255

Surgery weight 242

Current

Well my fellow bandsters! It will be two weeks on Tuesday since I was bandded! I feel good....still a little gas in the belly but besides that I know feel almost normal. I went shoe and make-up shopping yesterday. I have not done that in a loooooonnnnngggg time! I put on some capri's that I couldnt wear...and my husband went nuts! He was like you look sooooo sexy. I can tell you are shrinking! I felt sooooooo good after that....so thats when I hit the mall for shoes and make up and some new Versace perfume! Well I have 14 and that was since last Thursday....the scale is not moving as fast.....I am getting hungrier but still not consuming more that 900 calories a day. I will start on my threadmill today......I think some walking will do me good plus it may jump start my weight loss again. I may be loosing inches....I didnt measure myself before the surgery....but I did try on some shorts and I usually wear a tight size 20, but these were 18's and they were loose all over the place...I didnt buy them, but it sure felt good to know that my body is changing.

Dr. Spivak

Houston, Texas

Highest weight 255

Surgery weight 242

Current weight 228

Goal weight 160

Congrats on hitting the 2 week mark and feeling so good.

Your weight will keep coming off, and I am sure when we start adding the exercise back into our diet is when it will kick back in gear.

I am 5 days Post Op.....banded on the 30th...

Traci

Hi all I was banded on the 31st the last in the group!! I got to take my dressings off today and went to a store to walk around. I am really tired of the broth already and its only been a couple of days. Friday the 8th I get to get pureed foods. Mashed Potatoes here we come!!

Good luck with mashed potatoes. I tried them and I thought I was GONNA DIE! Sat like a bowling ball in my chest for three hours.....YEOW!:welldoneclap:

I was banded on the 25th. The trip was killer - 6 hour flight right after sugery. I thought I would die with the gas pain and the nausea the first week. Now I am 200% better. I still have plenty of gas - a real treat but not nearly what it was last week! I am on creamy Soups right now. I really didn't want the fat or the calories from cream soups so I have been making a homemade lowfat cream of potato Soup and a split pea that I puree, also, yogurt shakes. I don't know about the rest of you but the clear liquid was killer! It left me with no energy. Compared to that, my soup feels like a feast! So far I have lost 10 lbs in 10 days! I have never lost that much so fast! I am getting myself ready for the big slowdown. No one can possible expect to lose a pound a day. I was told no exercise for 3 weeks and no crunches for 3 months - anyone else with similar restrictions? I feel like maybe I should go to the gym and at least use the cardio equipment. It's been great reading about all of my fellow May bandsters. I keep you all in my thoughts as I am pureeing my soup!

Hi everyone. Today I am three weeks post-op. So far I have lost 21 lbs and I feel pretty good. I went back to work on Thursday and worked three 12 hour days in a row. I am still a little tired as yesterday was my first day off (and I work nights) but I handled it better than I thought I would. I am doing some yard work today and b/c it is a little hot and muggy from all the rain lately (I'm in the Fort Worth, TX area), I am taking a break.

Quick question...what Vitamins are y'all taking? I am taking some from GNC but I have to take 4 a day and I am either too full to get them in, or I forget to take them all. I usually only get 2-3 in during the day. If you are taking some that you like, please let me know...

Well...off to figure out how to update this stinkin' ticker thing again. Hope everyone is feeling okay and getting back to normal!!

Quick question...what Vitamins are y'all taking? I am taking some from GNC but I have to take 4 a day and I am either too full to get them in, or I forget to take them all. I usually only get 2-3 in during the day. If you are taking some that you like, please let me know...

I got some Solotron chewable vitamins at GNC that I like. Just one "wafer" twice daily and they really don't taste bad at all. I can even take them before or after meals when I can't chase them with Water. Hope this helps. :-)

I have been allowed to eat chicken and fish and salad and veggies and toast and eggs since I was 2 weeks post op. I have to chew well and eat slow BUT I noticed that it stays with me for hours after I eat. Breakfast might be 2 eggs and toast, lunch or dinner I usually have 3 oz of the chicken or fish and a few spoonfuls of veggies OR small baked potato and I am full and satisfied until my next meal (I have 3 'meals' a day). SO my point is this: those of you who are still on liquids and pureed foods will probably be a lot less hungry when you get on the more solid foods. At least that has been my experience so far....In fact my dr. told me that liquids would not satisfy hunger and one of the reason they want you to NOT drink with your meals is that it pushes the food thru too fast and you get hungry sooner.....

My doctor told me to get back in the gym on Wednesday and said that I had no restrictions on me (banded on the 17th). I think just like the food, all of the doctors have their own guidelines. I also will not get my first fill until after 2 months.

Your drs guidelines are the exception rather than the rule it seems-- Most of the bandsters posts I have read have restrictions from their drs that are similar to mine. I would really be careful, especially with your abdominal exercises. Like I say, better safe than sorry.

I was banded on the 25th. The trip was killer - 6 hour flight right after sugery. I thought I would die with the gas pain and the nausea the first week. Now I am 200% better. I still have plenty of gas - a real treat but not nearly what it was last week! I am on creamy Soups right now. I really didn't want the fat or the calories from cream soups so I have been making a homemade lowfat cream of potato Soup and a split pea that I puree, also, yogurt shakes. I don't know about the rest of you but the clear liquid was killer! It left me with no energy. Compared to that, my soup feels like a feast! So far I have lost 10 lbs in 10 days! I have never lost that much so fast! I am getting myself ready for the big slowdown. No one can possible expect to lose a pound a day. I was told no exercise for 3 weeks and no crunches for 3 months - anyone else with similar restrictions? I feel like maybe I should go to the gym and at least use the cardio equipment. It's been great reading about all of my fellow May bandsters. I keep you all in my

thoughts as I am pureeing my soup!

Your body needs calories/energy to heal so dont be in a hurry to burn them all up doing cardio. Maybe do 10 minute walks 3 times a day and work up to the more intense cardio. Most drs do have serious restrictions on using adominal muscles for the first several weeks. Walking is the preferred exercise for cardio until at least 6 weeks post op. (of course this varies from dr. to dr.)

I feel absolutely fabulous! The scale is not moving but then neither have I been so that is to be expected. I am going back to the gym for the first time tonight and am excited and nervous. I am excited because I feel like I wont be just spinning my wheels by working out and i feel so motivated! It is amazing how much HOPE having a band gives me. This weekend I felt so good I mowed the yard which is the most I have done since the 23rd.

Sunday I went out to eat with my extended family for the first time. Everyone was pretty curious as to how I would eat but it wasnt too bad. I was soooo nervous that something bad would happen because there wasnt too much on the menu that I felt comfortable with. If I have one more person say all I can eat is a grape I am going to choke them!!

I am getting my hunger back but so far have not had a problem making good food choices. I find myself not buying my family the kinds of Snacks and things I used to because the temptation would be too great. I am also more aware of what my kids are eating. The lap band really is a whole new life style and I find myself thinking about it all the time. Its so exciting and new that my mind just wanders to what a year from now will be like.

Okay, my ramble is over! Have a great week everyone. See you Thursday weightingtolose!

Let us know how going back to the gym went...I need to get motivated to start back myself...I told myself I would starting today and then well...my daughter was sick this morning and I didnt' make it...argh

Maybe watching your progress will help my and other's motivation!!!! Good job!

I have been trying to take different types of Vitamins in pill form but they make me feel really gross all day. Not bad enough that I think I will puke but pretty close. I am also not doing very well with protien :welldoneclap: This too shall get better I suppose.

Hi everyone. Today I am three weeks post-op. So far I have lost 21 lbs and I feel pretty good. I went back to work on Thursday and worked three 12 hour days in a row. I am still a little tired as yesterday was my first day off (and I work nights) but I handled it better than I thought I would. I am doing some yard work today and b/c it is a little hot and muggy from all the rain lately (I'm in the Fort Worth, TX area), I am taking a break.

Well...off to figure out how to update this stinkin' ticker thing again. Hope everyone is feeling okay and getting back to normal!!

I live in Mansfield, TX. We are neighbors! I take the costco brand childrens chewables (one a day). They are not bad. Then I take two viactive chews (one two times daily). Yummy!

I am taking Centrum chewable. They are really not bad, and you only need 1 a day. Works for me!!

Cindy

Hi Fellow May Bandsters!

I was banded on May 23rd and feel great! I bagan working out at the gym today. Went back to work last Thursday. I have lifting restrictions of no more than 20 lbs. for 3 weeks. I work on a busy hospital unit where we lift heavy patients in bed, etc. I am beginning to have some hunger pangs now and then. No episodes of vomiting at all. Had only mild nausea the first few days post-op. Still having a lot of gas. I am beginning to be able to sleep on my right side for short periods. I am still a little tender on the left side where my port is, so I can't sleep on that side, yet. I miss sleeping on my tummy, though. Having trouble getting in all my fluids, so I tend to drink more of them earlier in the day. I have lost 16 lbs so far and I am not even 2 weeks out yet! I know this will slow down, so I will take the loss where I can. NO REGRETS, I LOVE MY BAND, SO FAR!!

Rachel