Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby Food??

I'm scheduled for surgery six weeks from today :clap2:

In thinking about the mushy stage of the post op diet, did anyone out there try baby food meats (i.e., Gerber) for the Protein, and if so, was it totally nasty, or tolerable?

There have been a few folks who have used baby foods. I plan to. I went out and bought one jar of each type of food that interested me (meats, veggies, fruits) and have been trying them. They're really not bad. And VERY convenient. You don't have to clean up the processor/chopper after grinding up something you cooked. It can get pricey, though. I have found Walmart and Target run just about neck and neck in pricing. I also have heard the baby juices are in perfect sized bottles for drinking if need be to get things "going" (i.e. baby prune juice)

I'm scheduled for surgery six weeks from today :clap2:

In thinking about the mushy stage of the post op diet, did anyone out there try baby food meats (i.e., Gerber) for the Protein, and if so, was it totally nasty, or tolerable?

I ate a lot of the baby cereals post op and they were really nice. I still eat the rusks sometimes as they're fortified with extra Vitamins but I'm trying to eat proper food now as the baby stuff slips down too easily :nervous

I ate a little baby Cereal immediately post-op but found it wasn't really necessary. Cream of wheat worked just as good for me during mushies.

A word of caution...I was told that baby food can be high in sugars. It was not recommended as a mushy at my doctor's office.

You'll be able to eat other things to help get you through this stage.

Here's some ideas:

Sugar free/fat free pudding made with skim milk.

Cream of Wheat-very thin.

Soups

Jello (ick)

sugar free popsicles

sugar free applesauce

Low fat riccotta cheese

Small curd cottage cheese

Low fat yogurt

Protein shakes

You'll get lots of great ideas from other threads from others who have been through mushies! Good luck!

I haven't thought much about the baby food yet, most baby food sounds unappetizing to me.. I glanced last time I went to the store.

On a side note, baby food bananas. Mm.. that's something I like to get time to time as a treat. I'll have to look into nutrition in them for post-op, I could possibly live on banana baby food LOL.

Now those are REALLY high in carbs. But deeelicious! I did forget to mention that, to look at the labels for carbs/protein/etc... I will likely be using the veggies and the meat baby foods, but yes, the fruits are quite high in carbs.

Baby food sucks. I made my all of my kids baby food because when I was pregnant with my first I did a taste test of different baby food brands (I was on bedrest with a lot of time on my hands). They all taste terrible.

I think it is easier to cook the food with your own spices and then blend it up and freeze in ice cube trays. When they are frozen pop into ziploc bags and label.

It makes it super easy to make a mushie meal - pop a few cubes out and nuke in the micro - voilá

yeah baby food bites. I bought a LOT of it in prep for the surgery to burn off pre surg anxiety, and im glad i have it on the shelf in the cupboard in case i have a pb and have to revert back or whatever but ew.

when the boys were little i used to give them hienz instant baby food, came dry in flakes just add hot Water and those arent bad at all..but they are right, you will enjoy real food blended more.

I stayed up the night before surgery, cooking chicken thighs in chicken broth and balsamic vinegar, then blending it with some crackers to make it pasty, then measuring them out in 5 oz at a time and putting them in little freezer safe/ micro safe containers and freezing them. I also made up a batch of tuna helper with Pasta and peas and blended that , measuring it too.

THey were outstanding, and made great meals.

i wound up only using a third of what i made and threw much out when i left the cottage, but it worked well and kept my anxiety levels down. made me feel prepared. for what thats worth....

Unfortunately, I'm a flop of a cook. I can't cook chicken.. well, I don't much like it, but when I've tried to cook it's either under or over cooked.

Only things I ever mastered were meat loaf, mac-n-cheese, and pre-cooked things like keilbasa, lasagna bakes, etc.

Cooking?

I'm unfamiliar with this term... :evil:

I think it means when people use that big computer in the kitchen with the dials and knobs.

Around here we leave that to the professionals.

You guys are funny. I stink at cooking too! But, I've become a master with my George Foreman grill! I can do THAT. Cooking chicken any other way is a big "huh?" to me too!

For the cooktarded here is my suggestion - go to Whole Foods or any other organic food store and buy some of their preprepared foods, take it home and follow the blend, freeze in ice cubes, ziploc process.

No need to mess with the big computer in the kitchen.

LapBandit- hah.. least you learned that. I had the mini-foreman.. and when I tried to cook steak or chicken on it, the outside would burn and inside would be undercooked. I've never liked it.. then Christmas 05 my future in-laws got us the real big foreman with interchangable plates..

After I made a HUGE mess on the counter, same thing happened.. undercooks the inside and overcooks the outside (even on the lower setting of heat.. I was following the book that comes with the grill!!).

I think God just didn't intend for all of us to be the cookers.. some of us have to be the gatherers..