Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE rethink surgery! it's cancer causing, do the reasearch! :(

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/dietandphysicalactivity/bodyweightandcancerrisk/body-weight-and-cancer-risk-effects

Losing weight lessens cancer risk. As one who has battled aggressive prostate cancer I embraced the sleeve and it has served me well. I am 2 years past my expected death prediction and have no symptoms of a return.

Controlled GERD changes the equation.

My only issue is that you are posting this in the POST-SURGERY forum. Well guess what, most people in this forum have already had the surgery. If you are so concerned about how others will respond to the surgery and their cancer risk, then post in the PRE-SURGERY forum. You are telling them to rethink having the surgery. Well, that ship has sailed. You could have called the post "Get Routine EGDs to assess your risk for cancer after band or sleeve surgery." That would have served your purpose.

I just saw this and now I'm kind of concerned.... I'm scheduled to be sleeved on April 8th.

I know weight loss reduces the risk of cancer, but the evidence provided stating that sleeve or band increases the chance of esophageal cancer is alarming. The studies make a lot of sense.

One article I found on Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons is very convincing.

http://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/the-band-and-the-sleeve-as-pre-cancerous-procedures-the-band-and-the-sleeve-cause-gastroesophageal-reflux-ger-gastroesophageal-reflux-causes-esophageal-cancer/

Oh man... help me...

you don't have to be a d**k, i'm not telling you that you should not have had the surgery and you should not be giving me **** about posting information I'm sharing. i'm not your mother. the studies were for BAND & SLEEVE surgeries, I'm glad you lost weight, good for you. if you don't care about what I posted then ignore it, I'm not hurting anyone. Do nothing with the info, I don't care, I was sharing my experience and what I've learned.

Your right, your not my mother and boy is that something to be proud of. If you talk to strangers this way I could only imagine how you talk and disrespect people you really know. Your pretty disrespectful and immature. I know how to read, I know how to sign papers, and I did that. AND SO DID YOU! YOU read, YOU signed, YOU chose the surgery! Just like we all did. Enjoy being ignorant.

Let's all settle down here. If you go to the links in the original posts, and also view some of the slides from his other presentations, I think it is pretty easy to see some issues. First off, my fifth grader assembles a better formed power point presentation. I mean, come on ... I love this title:

What Happens When General Surgeons Become Bariatric Surgeons And Forget Their General Surgery Training.

Giving your conclusion in the title ... nice method of persuasive argument. Let's also take a look at the Dr.'s site. He performs Mini-Bypass. Am I really going to be surprised when I read his slides pulling information completely out of context? I love all of his conclusions as to what causes cancer. This man has all the answers.

The bottom line is we all have to do our own research. There are some people out there who will believe that Bill Gates will eat a cat if you don't forward this post to every one of your contacts. Then there are others who will dig a little deeper and come to their own conclusions.

billgatescat.png

I just saw this and now I'm kind of concerned.... I'm scheduled to be sleeved on April 8th.

I know weight loss reduces the risk of cancer, but the evidence provided stating that sleeve or band increases the chance of esophageal cancer is alarming. The studies make a lot of sense.

One article I found on Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons is very convincing.

http://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/the-band-and-the-sleeve-as-pre-cancerous-procedures-the-band-and-the-sleeve-cause-gastroesophageal-reflux-ger-gastroesophageal-reflux-causes-esophageal-cancer/

Oh man... help me...

Using old studies on surgical procedures is an old trick some use to disparage WLS techniques. Here's a much newer study that explains the newer surgical techniques have almost completely eliminated postop GERD.

And I believe all they are asking is that doctors inform patients that GERD can cause cancer. There's also a chance the patient could walk into an open elevator shaft leaving the office.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24203681

Thanks 2muchfun! Didn't even realize that those studies were 6-13 years old =/ Guess my pre-op nervousness is getting the best of me lol

That new study looks good and is also very current, so I'm just going to push through my worries.

Thanks 2muchfun! Didn't even realize that those studies were 6-13 years old =/ Guess my pre-op nervousness is getting the best of me lol That new study looks good and is also very current, so I'm just going to push through my worries.

Push through those worries! :-) Your going to do great! Wishing you nothing but the best of success! Congrats on the decision to have weight loss surgery! 2muchfun's post was perfecto! Thanks for posting that for future readers as well!

Great find, 2muchfun!

From the link:

A total of 382 patients underwent surgery. There were no cases of death or fistula. GERD was diagnosed in 170 patients (44.5 %) preoperatively, and hiatal hernia (HH) was detected in 142 patients (37.2 %) intraoperatively. Between 6 and 22 months postoperatively, 373 patients were completely evaluated. Ten (2.6 %) had GERD symptoms 6-22 months postoperatively, and 94 % of patients with preoperative GERD symptoms were asymptomatic at follow-up 6-22 months after LSG. Only 1 patient (0.5 %) of a subgroup of 174 without HH or esophagitis at preoperative evaluation had GERD at follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our results confirm that, contrary to previous reports of LSG in the literature, careful attention to surgical technique can result in significantly reduced GERD symptoms up to 22 months postoperatively suggesting that LSG does not predispose patients to GERD during that period.

I might be stubborn but I don't really believe in those studies. We all chose to have this surgery for different reasons but all share the same goal to be healthy. I think this is a good debate but in the wrong forum, if you are super concerned for others behalf then shouldn't be posting this in the "post-op" forums. We all had surgery and if you had the sleeve like me you know that its not something that is reversible like the lap-band is. From my own personal experience the band caused me more grief than good when I had it and had horrid acid reflux. But I don't think the sleeve surgery will cause any cancer. You are scaring more people than doing good.

#teamrensterness let's not cause chaos, no need to tell everyone to rethink their surgeries (we've most likely already had them) let it be.

Harringm, I think you are making that up. Typically these studies are might indicate a correlation between X and Y but they dont prove X causes Y. People who have WLS might have another condition (such as obesity) they increases their risk for cancer.

If you know these studies can you quote from there where the researchers conclude " " ? I am sorry you had a bad outcome with your surgery but I that doesn't justify misrepresenting research.

I encourage you to share your experiences with this community. If those experiences include reading the research for yourself, you would do the community a great service by quoting for us what the researchers actually concluded in the studies you mentioned. Since I haven't had surgery yet, I would love to be be proven wrong.

Harringm said:

"All i'm saying is studies are now revealing that the surgies for BAND & SLEEVE are proven to have caused an increase in esophageal cancer."

Edited by tonyjkent

Tony, we are not here to attack other members. Harringm posted links to the research they are quoting. It would appear you did not follow the links. If you had, you would discern the studies quoted are based on Dr advertising the mini-bypass by dredging old research and pulling quotes out of context. They are attempting to get business by spreading fear.

If you read through the posts on this thread, you will note a link from TooMuchFun which has more objective, up to date research.

Pdxman, I agree we are not here to attack other members. I did look at the links. One of them is a you tube video - that's not research that proves WLS causes cancer. Another link is to a post by member - again that's not research to proves WLS causes caner. The first link does link to a powerpoint that does include real research. I looked up some of the studies on pubmed and I couldn't find one study that was designed to prove of disprove whether banding/sleeve causes cancer and I couldn't find one study that concluded WLS causes cancer.

Harringm - I'm sorry I shouldn't have said you made it up. I just don't think the research you linked to proves what you say it does.

Edited by tonyjkent

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/dietandphysicalactivity/bodyweightandcancerrisk/body-weight-and-cancer-risk-effects Losing weight lessens cancer risk. As one who has battled aggressive prostate cancer I embraced the sleeve and it has served me well. I am 2 years past my expected death prediction and have no symptoms of a return. Controlled GERD changes the equation.

We are counting on you living a loooong time sir!

Shel