Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, all. I often see posts about band vs bypass or sleeve. If interested, here's a link to a lecture at a recent Obesity Week conference. This presenter addressed why the lapband--LAGB/GB--is not a preferred option at this point. http://asmbs.planion.com/EvalCenter/ASMBS/images/106075_6_106075_6_LAGB_is_not_an_option.pdf

(ASMBS = American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons)

The opposite lecture--"Why LAGB is still an option"--had 57 slides. Those slides are very technical, so, instead of that link, here are some points, as given by the current head of the surgical society (though many felt he had so many slides to try to really argue his position in favor of the band at this point). In short:

--The Lapband needs maintenance; needs frequent follow-up.

--Success depends on center's success/surgeons.

--1% of patients had no weight loss; 16% had "poor" weight loss.

--19% undecided about a WLS will opt for the band because it's reversible and they think it's easier than being rerouted or having stuff removed.

--Since 2009, there's a been a major decline in the band across the world. Slides had data from USA/Canada; Asia/South Pacific; Europe; Latin and South America:

In 2008, 43% of WLS patients had the LAGB; now, it's 17%.

In 2008: 39% had the RYGB; now, 43.5%

In 2008, 4.9% had the VSG; now, just under 29 percent (newer 'stand-alone' procedure; on the rise; replacing the band)

--If your BMI is low, the band may be good for some patients. The higher the BMI, more patients are advised to get the VSG, RYGB or DS.

There's more info, but I'll stop here. Don't want to overwhelm anyone. Good luck. You'll make the right decision for you. Weight loss can happen with either procedure.

This guy is still using data from 1995.

And it's sad that you had to go out of your way to disparage the band with so little to go on? What was your purpose for this post? What do you have to gain from making such outrageous assertions?

This is a common tactic coming from the sleeve side of this forum? It's getting old, ya know what I mean? If you have the sleeve, please refrain from disparaging other WLS techniques. Be thankful you're succeeding(and a big FYI, not every sleever does succeed) with your choice of WLS.

And obviously this is your extrapolation and opinion from this so called conference. And thanks so much for eliminating the 57 slides"(though many felt he had so many slides to try to really argue his position in favor of the band at this point)".

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/813532#1

This is more a cost/benefit/risk analysis and funded by Allergan (former owner of Lapband), but does note the declining use of the device.

Whether the device itself is the cause of late complications, poor surgical skill or other factors, the trend seems to be a moving away from this procedure.

Edited by Bandarella

Uh...to '2much fun"...anger issuers, perhaps? I said NOTHING about anyone being "stupid," etc. I was simply trying to pull from the 57-slide presentation what that presenting doctor said.

FYI here's that link. As you will see, I didn't put MY extrapolation into either report, so...you know not of which you speak. Ponce.pdf" rel="external nofollow">http://asmbs.planion.com/EvalCenter/ASMBS/images/106296_6_106296_6_LAGB_still_valid_operation-Ponce.pdf

I don't get into conversations with what I call online 'rhetorical agitators' who bark about this or that. I simply shared info from, yes, an "Obesity Week" conference, not a "so-called" conference. Google it.

Your nastiness, anger and aggression is unnecessary. Maybe you need to live up to your username--get out and have some fun.

Have a nice day.

Uh...to '2much fun"...anger issuers, perhaps? I said NOTHING about anyone being "stupid," etc. I was simply trying to pull from the 57-slide presentation what that presenting doctor said.

FYI here's that link. As you will see, I didn't put MY extrapolation into either report, so...you know not of which you speak. Ponce.pdf" rel="external nofollow">http://asmbs.planion.com/EvalCenter/ASMBS/images/106296_6_106296_6_LAGB_still_valid_operation-Ponce.pdf

I don't get into conversations with what I call online 'rhetorical agitators' who bark about this or that. I simply shared info from, yes, an "Obesity Week" conference, not a "so-called" conference. Google it.

Your nastiness, anger and aggression is unnecessary. Maybe you need to live up to your username--get out and have some fun.

Have a nice day.

Anger issues? Only over band deniers who come here with an obvious agenda. Your post was so lopsided against the band I had to call you out for the obvious deceptive assertions. You're not the first and won't be the last. You should educate yourself before you make such claims.

And you should also lose the agenda. If you're truly here to help other forum members, try to show a little balance?

Thanks for posting the pro band slides that demonstrate why the band is a good choice for many people. And really, educate yourself, I've read some of your other negative posts regarding the band and you're poorly informed. I'm sure you're a hero to some forum members but to the well informed, you're posting nonsense.

tmf

For my personal weight loss journey..I had the band..did not work for me..had the sleeve and I have lost 42 pounds thus far.. My other siblings had the band and it also did not work. The sleeve really has reduced my hunger..however, I do see members on this website successful with the band. The final decision is up to you. Go to a reputable dr that is in a center of excellence environment. Talk to him about your situation ..Your expectations, risks, etc. Then make an informative decision that is best for you. I personally don't like statistics to drive me in making a decision. Talk to different people about their chosen weight loss surgery. To me ..weight loss success has to do with comimitment , determination and perserence to get healthy and stay healthy. These surgeries are tools to get there.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but what TMF is saying is spot on! When you posted this what kind of response did you expect to get? You have to realize this is a shared support forum for all WLS, so when you go bashing one over the other, that's what's uncalled for and you have to expect people are going to speak up.

We're all here to support one another regardless of what surgery we chose, we ALL came from the same place, OBESITY. What works for you is great, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision for EVERYONE. You're giving newbies or those thinking about surgery a bias opionion and yes that's all it is an opinion and you know what they say about those! I'm not going to defend my surgery and/or bash other surgeries, There's no need for that, if people want to research for answers let them, let them go through this site and research the results of band vs. sleeve vs. by-pass the results are all here for everyone to see and they can make their own assumptions/decisions.

I think it's important to note that this was posted in the General Forum. Not like the OP was "trespassing" on the Lapband forum, lol.

TMF: in refuting posts that you perceive as "anti-band", you do tend to use inflammatory language. To say that the OP used "obvious deceptive assertions" implies that the OP intends to deceive. That implies dishonesty and comes across as attacking the messenger rather than the message.

Just a little friendly feedback.

I think it's important to note that this was posted in the General Forum. Not like the OP was "trespassing" on the Lapband forum, lol.

TMF: in refuting posts that you perceive as "anti-band", you do tend to use inflammatory language. To say that the OP used "obvious deceptive assertions" implies that the OP intends to deceive. That implies dishonesty and comes across as attacking the messenger rather than the message.

Thanks for the feedback and you're right. She's just misinformed and did not intend to deceive. My bad.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but what TMF is saying is spot on! When you posted this what kind of response did you expect to get? You have to realize this is a shared support forum for all WLS, so when you go bashing one over the other, that's what's uncalled for and you have to expect people are going to speak up.

We're all here to support one another regardless of what surgery we chose, we ALL came from the same place, OBESITY. What works for you is great, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision for EVERYONE. You're giving newbies or those thinking about surgery a bias opionion and yes that's all it is an opinion and you know what they say about those! I'm not going to defend my surgery and/or bash other surgeries, There's no need for that, if people want to research for answers let them, let them go through this site and research the results of band vs. sleeve vs. by-pass the results are all here for everyone to see and they can make their own assumptions/decisions.

So only pro-band members can post biased opinions??? We all post based on our own experience...who says one person's experience is more valid, accurate or reflective of the efficacy of a particular procedure?

Posting a contrary opinion isn't "bashing". The newbies of which you speak, are able to read posts on both sides of the argument and, as you noted, are able to make up their minds.

By all means speak up! But understand, you also can expect a response.

Thanks for the feedback and you're right. She's just misinformed and did not intend to deceive. My bad.

You're an intelligent person, who shows a lot of concern and care in your posts, except when you think the poster is wrong. Then words like, stupid, silly, etc fall into the text and the attention is diverted from the issue.

The first set of slides were, I think incomplete. The second link worked great. The problem with almost all band studies is that the data IS old. There is a newer long term study underway, but the old studies and anecdotal information, along with the device mfr info, is all we have to go on.

In the bariatric surgery community, things need to change. Everybody needs to stop protecting their own position, product, ego...do the right thing. I think a little more honesty by all of the purveyors of WLS would benefit all of the "customers".

research the results of band vs. sleeve vs. by-pass the results are all here for everyone to see and they can make their own assumptions/decisions.

So only pro-band members can post biased opinions??? We all post based on our own experience...who says one person's experience is more valid, accurate or reflective of the efficacy of a particular procedure?

Posting a contrary opinion isn't "bashing". The newbies of which you speak, are able to read posts on both sides of the argument and, as you noted, are able to make up their minds.

By all means speak up! But understand, you also can expect a response.

"who says one person's experience is more valid"

I'd think someone who's had the experience first of all? Like you for example? Dr-patient? Not so much, unless she's had the band?

Maybe a caveat like, I've never been banded but here's my opinion? Or, I was banded and it failed due to a botched surgical procedure?

Taking old studies and biased personal opinions and then twisting them to create a biased caricature should be pointed out. imo

There is no need for defensiveness. We are only expressing our humblle opinions which is what newbies want. They will eventually make their own intelligent decisions. Can u imagine what harm we are giving newbies when they get on this website for the first time and see arguments and defensiveness. That would have been a big turnoff for moi. We are here to help and I think the newbies are smart enough to know that what we say are our own experiences. They can take or not take what we say. This is not a winning contest as to what surgery is "right".

Let us be positive. Let us empower those who are struggling with obesity. I for one have leaned on this website pre and post op, Like the sleeve, this website has give me hope, strength and success. We want that for everyone.

It is all good. Now let us move on to helping others. Amen.

This keeps happening. I'm so glad it was LB Talk I found last summer when I was doing my research. If it had been Bariatric Pal back then with all this kind of strife I would have fled and then missed the benefit of all those who have helped me figure out my new banded life. I'm happy for those who choose the sleeve. I think we have more in common than not and I enjoy comparing notes with others in the WLS community about exercise, etc. Not about the band, though, not unless you have one. I am concerned about a trend in putting out information about one surgery being better than another to all the desperate people who are coming here to find help.

Carlotta, we were posting the same thing at the same time. How about that! Here's to sticking to what we know and being careful to direct people to their own medical professionals and not sounding like we have the right answers for all.