Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i am 1 month old now...but suddenly I am getting depressed and feeling low. I was so happy this past month.yesterday the doc depressed me and today also am feeling like crying....

The stored fat your body is using releases sooooooo many stored hormones it floods your system.
You’re going to go up and down like a yo-yo you feel like your going nuts but its very normal its hormone overload like pms on major steroids.
It settles down as you your body gets used to it at the start for a couple of months it’s a bit nuts.

I am so with you! I have been flooded with mixed emotions lately its been crazy. It is because we are loosing weight and our bodies are releasing hormones like crazy. I have been depressed, happy, and horny all in one day and I feel like a crazy person. And talk about tired as well, holy cow I have all this energy but I am mentally exhausted at the end of the day because of the wild ride called emotions. It will all settle down once your body realizes that the weight loss is here to stay for a bit. My doctor told me its because my body doesn't want to loose the weight because its so comfortable with being overweight for a long time. Keep your head up, it will soon will pass.

And some people have the "nerve" to think weight loss surgery is an easy way out. They are totally uninformed... this is my "second" time around ( had a revision) and this is far from EASY. Not only do you have to deal with physically healing but emotionally and mentally you have to recondition your entire life and way of thinking ( well at least I did). When you think about all of the "social" interactions that we deal with daily...most of them are centered around food. I've gone through so many moments of "mourning" it is ridiculous. I've felt almost every emotion known to man... guilt, remorse, elation, confusion, anger. Our bodies go through a tremendous amount of stress from the surgery. I had a SEVERE anxiety attack my second day in the hospital after getting my sleeve. My blood pressure was like 200 over 120. My heart was racing and my heart was beating well over 100 beats per minute. The nurses started freaking out and even brought a crash cart into my room thinking I was going to have a cardiac arrest. I kept calm... prayed and allowed them to administer meds to get everything under control and within minutes my blood pressure came down and my heart rate slowed.

The doctor said my body was stressed. I went from eating around 2,500 calories a day to absolutely nothing not mention I had just had major surgery that took 5 hours....it was a lot of change to endure in two days. My body was like WHOA!!! hold on... what in the world are you doing. Like I said this is not an easy thing to do. We have to recondition our minds and body and it can be difficult. What you are feeling is normal and like someone posted above... your body is having to readjust and level off. Give it some time and just take things slow. Focus on the positives and the great transformation that is slowly taking place. I do believe it is all worth it in the end...

Oh and if your doctor has upset you or made you feel a certain type of way about your progress I believe you should express those feelings to him/her at your next visit and let them know how you feel. Hey, they get paid a lot of money for their services so you should be able to discuss ANY and EVERYTHING under the sun.

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by one_more_time

thanks so much for understanding. I was feeling low now I know I have so many friends who care I am feeling better.

I have not lost weight since 10 days but i was ok as I had read about stalls. But at the hospital they did not approve of my diet. I was reading these forums and had started scrambled egg and oats with cheese.

they disapproved and asked me to go back to Soups.and milk shakes. Here in India post operative is not so good. They want us to starve and loose maximum weight.

I have stopped eggs and oats and cheese. The doc knows better.If I want to loose better follow their instructions.

Glad you're feeling better, lots of us here know about feeling low but this forum helps...

Best to stick with what they want you to do for now. I am in Scotland and I did two weeks liquid, two weeks pureed food, then two weeks soft food. It was 6 weeks before I could eat anything of substance not because they wanted me to lose loads of weight but they felt it would give my stomach time to heal properly.

So hang in there, you are amongst friends and you have done well so far :-)

thanks Indigo...I am feeling better...I thought only our doctors had such diets...others on this forum are eating a lot.

Yes i will stick to my diet now..I was burping a lot with semi solids...that means it was hard on my stomach.

It's probably a good thing to learn early on, because everyone's journey is slightly different. The only "right" way is the way your doc tells you ;-)

I used to compare my weight loss with others on the forum (in the way you are comparing what you eat) and I would worry I was losing too slowly.

But I stuck to what I was supposed to do and kept my eyes front. I loved reading about how well others were doing, it inspired me, even when I felt I was being left behind. When I hit my target, the speed I got there became totally irrelevant... I had done it and that's what mattered.

So I have learned to breathe out since I got my sleeve and see it as a team sport - not in the sense that this is a competition but because you are doing this with your sleeve. Every sleeve is different but you can't rush it, it does its thing and if you play your part, it's a fantastic partnership.

Keep posting. I am excited for you and wish you every success!

hi Indigo!!!

Today is a holiday here...no work and I am going crazy thinking I am not going to succeed...my weight has stalled since 2 weeks...

I had the band for 2 yrs...lost 6 kg in the first 15 days and thats it...I hope this doesnt happen with the sleeve...oh no...

I know its too early and I must be patient....i was taking Proteins now again on liquids..i am praying hard my body responds....constipation is also worrying me...

Our minds are so powerful - and they love a vacuum. So no work means they can entertain themselves by throwing in all sorts of unhelpful thoughts...

But do you know what? You know that, you have identified it yourself so you are halfway to overcoming it.

Stalls are the bane of our lives. But like everything in life, they pass, you just have to focus on what you are doing - Protein, lots of Water and keeping your body moving - and try not to stress. Although I know that's hard ;-)))) your stall will break but in the meantime keep checking your measurements as you may find you are losing inches.

Don't look back, look forward. Again, that's probably hard just now but it will get easier as you lose weight. And you will lose weight. Have faith and look at those of us who are ahead of you. We have had the same surgery as you, many of us will have a similar story to you - and we have succeeded. Lots of veterans on here have now kept the weight off for years. So you should have hope.

Being patient has never been one of my strong points! But, strangely, after my sleeve I have learned it. It's taken time to get overweight so it will take time for it to come off. But the sleeve is remarkable, just give it a chance.

So, chin up, tell the voice in your head that you are not listening cos you are busy being successful! Have been where you are, wish I could give you a hug and say it will be alright - because it will!

Now some of us are at work today ... better head there but have a good day. You are not alone :-)

thanks so much...I will walk...have Water and Protein..no more depression!!! how can I be depressed when we all are together and you are motivating me....

I am glad I read your words of hope for I already feel like an emotional roller coaster and my surgery was last Friday- not a week ago. I fluctuate between depression, mourning and restlessness. I don't know how much weight loss is expected over the first few weeks or months. Is there an average barometer so you know you are in the ball park of normal? But regardless I feel relieved and glad I was brave enough to do something about my weight. Knowing now about those hormones helps me understand what is going on.

Thank God for these forums or I'd lose it!! I'm 3 weeks post op as of yesterday and I think I'm starting to scare my hubby for real. I find myself "acting" in front of him so he doesn't really know how I feel!!!! Of well!!!!