Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having problems adjusting

I am almost 4 weeks post op and I just can't cope with this adjustment. This has been the hardest and worst month of my life. I am dehydrated because I can't seem to drink enough Water. I only drink about 25 oz a day. I just can't drink more, I try and I feel sick. I barely eat anything because I get sick, due to be dehydrated. I am depressed all the time. I know everyone says this will pass, but I feel like this has been a bad decision. And I can't take it back. I am trying to stay positive and keep in my mind that in the long run this will be the best thing I could've done, but it just dont feel like it right now.. I am on soft foods, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, fish, plain yogurt, tofu, and retried Beans oh and cheese, but I just can't eat that anymore. And I have been just eating broths but my Dr said my body is in starvation mode and I am burning muscle.. I just don't know what to do anymore...

Make an appt w/your Dr and talk to him about this. If you can make an appt w/a counselor who is knowledgeable in WLS and talk to them. This is your health and life. Are you walking? Get help now. Good luck.

Have you tried mixing apple juice with Water? I could not drink plain Water at all. I mixed water and apple juice 50/50 and it went down so much easier. Don't worry about the carbs or calories in the juice for now, just get your fluids in. Any Fluid counts......broth, Decaf tea, sugar free ice pops, Vitamin water zero, Powerade zero. Try different things besides water.

Have you tried mixing apple juice with Water? I could not drink plain Water at all. I mixed water and apple juice 50/50 and it went down so much easier. Don't worry about the carbs or calories in the juice for now, just get your fluids in. Any Fluid counts......broth, Decaf tea, sugar free ice pops, Vitamin water zero, Powerade zero. Try different things besides water.

Yes, I have tried flavored water, adding apple juice, zero water, just about all, but it seems like I'm too full to drink more.. I just can't seem to get the water needed.

Then I must agree with Shersun......call your doctor and get help, dehydration is serious. Maybe you need and endoscope to see if there is a stricture or something else going on. It could be a simple fix like an anti-nauseau or acid reflux medication needed. Don't wait too long.

You're getting in more than I was at that point. I flavored sonic

post-197362-0-90687500-1393087008_thumb.jpg

ice with sf hawaiian punch flavoring liquid and ate the ice. Try warm liquid. I like hot tea. Lots of posts about sf hot chocolate. I ate tons of egg custard during the mushy phase because its only thing I tolerated well. Your stomach is probably still pretty swollen and eating aggravates it. I couldn't tolerate scrambled eggs but could eat fried ones or boiled ones. Try mixing boiled eggs in your tuna or chicken salad for more Protein but I'm with the previous poster, don't worry about carbs etc right now. Get in your Water.

By week 4 it was difficult for me to take in soft foods and Water. However, I would go see my doc to make sure that it is just the swelling in your tummy causing this.

I am so sorry you are having these problems. No wonder you are depressed. You might need a visit to the ER for an IV of Fluid to get you over the hump and make you feel better. This surgery and diet is all about NUTRITION. You have to eat and drink what your body needs regardless of what your brain wants. I am only two weeks out but I've adjusted pretty well. I have HUGE head hunger but I eat what is on the list and I don't deviate. I too had problems with the Water till I discovered the SF Kool Aid drops. Ever since, the water goes down so smoothly and I love the taste. When I go to bed at night I take a bottled water with me and every time I wake up I take 3 sips. As soon as I wake up in the morning I take a few sips before I get out of bed. It has seemed to help. I agree with the others that you should call your doctor and also sit down with your nutritionist so she can help you add some variety and interest to your diet. Wishing you luck.

You're getting in more than I was at that point. I flavored sonic

ice with sf hawaiian punch flavoring liquid and ate the ice. Try warm liquid. I like hot tea. Lots of posts about sf hot chocolate. I ate tons of egg custard during the mushy phase because its only thing I tolerated well. Your stomach is probably still pretty swollen and eating aggravates it. I couldn't tolerate scrambled eggs but could eat fried ones or boiled ones. Try mixing boiled eggs in your tuna or chicken salad for more Protein but I'm with the previous poster, don't worry about carbs etc right now. Get in your Water.

I cannot eat chicken salad or any other type of eggs yet. They said only scrambled.

Water didn't sit we'll with me. I'm living on Powerade zero (lots of favors) and Sobe Water (I like the Fuji Apple pear). I drink them at room temp. Also hot Decaf tea helped at first. I can eat better if I'm hydrated.

As far as soft foods, laughing cow cheese has tons of favors which can change it up for you. Or try other soft cheeses like a baked ricotta or a sharp cheddar.

Water is really hard to drink by itself. I was really sick for like 3 months after my surgery from dehydration and nausea. Water was my enemy. A lot of people have to mix water with something or drink broth or something with substance.

I am also a little over 4 weeks out and I am having all of the same thoughts as you. I just want to feel normal again and I am beginning to think that this may be the new normal. I had a consult with my surgeon and he said that these feelings are normal for some and to be patient and it will get better. So I have no choice but to believe him. Just know you are not alone. This forum is great and it has helped me.