Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve for 13 year old. Doctor recommendations Mexico

I spoke with Dr Quinones in TJ about VSG for my 13 year old daughter. He is a very skilled surgeon and was willing to do the procedure. He has done the surgery on other 13 year olds.

My daughter is now almost 14. Now that she is finally watching what she eats, and is exercising more, she has lost 20lbs on her own. Because she is wanting it (to be healthy), I'm again considering VSG for her. Before I don't think she could have done the pre-op or post-op diets.

It's a really hard decision. I want my daughter to also have confidence and know she is beautiful and smart. I also hate to do something so permanent at a young age.

If I had the money in hand right now, I probably would schedule her for the week school was out for the year.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one! I know if my daughter does the VSG we will make sure she has a support system and counseling to help her as the surgery really isn't a quick fix. But it just might give her the life she wants and deserves.

If it were my daughter, I'd take her to Dr. Alvarez. Look him up on YouTube. He has performed surgeries on younger persons and is very skilled.

If I'd exhausted all options, as you have, I'd have no qualms about my daughter getting VSG.

Good luck, and give your daughter a big (((hug))) from me.

April

I would have no qualms either. My little 5 year old is 72 pounds. She eats healthy and is very conscience of her eating choices. She is not as active as she wants to be because she has bad asthma and is always on steroids. Additionally obesity is just in her DNA.

My husband and I have already decided that if she continues on this trajectory then we will consider weight loss surgery when she is of age. We are hoping for the best but why make her suffer at such a young age. By that point my husband and I will be far out post op and will know the ramifications of this surgery enough to make the right choice.

As far as her having surgery at such a young age well children bounce back way better than adults. I had open heart surgery at age 11 in June of that year and was at cheerleading camp at the end of July.

I hope for the best for her and wish you the best of luck in making your decision.

Hi, I was just wondering if you have made any decisions? I actually spoke with my patient coordinator about scheduling my daughter for right after school is out. He is sending me the name of a lady to speak with. She had. VSG and so did her 13 year old daughter. Also other family members and cousins (teens) have had the VSG as well. I've heard her daughter is doing amazing and loves her new life, but I have a lot of questions I want to ask the mom.

My daughter faked being sick from school yesterday because she is sick of being bullied for her weight. I know this won't solve everything but I want her to have the confidence in herself that she should have. She is beautiful, smart, talented, I could go on and on! But our world is very focused on weight and looks. I'm tired of my daughter siting on the sidelines of her life. Always feeling poorly about herself.

So, we are not 100% sure about moving forward, but we are praying and getting her counseling and moving in that direction.

My husband and I have set a 20lb minimum weight loss she has to do before we will commit to surgery. We have to know she is committed to the new life and ready to follow the very important post op diet.

It's a lot of money, but for my daughter to have a better quality of life, feel confident, and be healthy, there isn't much I wouldn't do / pay.

I'd love to chat more with you if you would like. I'm sure the mother of the 13 year old VSG patient would be willing to talk to you as well. Just let me know!

Good luck and I wish you and your beautiful daughter well, however you decide to proceed.

You know her best. It's dangerous to be obese at any age. The depression and social anxiety could put her at risk for serious mental health issues. As long as your her support for the responsibility she will need to be growing healthy I don't see why not. Surgery is dangerous but so is developing an eating disorder. It sounds like she has a good support system in her family. Good mom work so far!