Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term Vet success strategies

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It really helps to break it down and have the numbers right there in front of you. :)

I think that if I don't stay FOCUSED I will regain. Obsessive is when you are miserable, are emotionally unhappy and torturing yourself. I am happy that i am sucessful. I compare myself to a work colleague who is training for a triathalon. Focused. I am in a marathon for the rest of my life - to keep my weight under control at a healthy weight. It isn't obsessive, it is necessary.

Yeah, I don't feel any more obsessed than my normal weight friends. They watch what they eat too. Well, maybe I have to work a little harder than them, but it's totally doable and very comfortable at this point.

Lynda

I agree about the idea of focus. I do track on a spread sheet daily, and also track what I'm eating. Every bite. Those are two of the strategies I use for success. I'm visual, so those are tools to help me stay FOCUSED. I joke about it being an obsession, but it's not. I'm an informatics nurse, so it's perfectly natural for me to track health related things on spreadsheets. It takes about a minute a day, at most. I weigh, log, and move on. I am really happy I did it, though, because on days I'm struggling or irritated due to stalls, I can look at that as a positive reinforcement. It's like a bit of a reward system for me, too. Again, a tool to stay focused.

I'm back to tracking on myfitnesspal.com . Eating less than 1000 calories. Talked with nutritionist today! She is awesome. Will be adding more Peanut Butter, fruits in my shakes, cheese with wheat crackers. Wants me to up the good carbs but not count calories. Will see what happens

This is a good thread to keep going....I am 2.5 years out and reality is just hitting me now. Losing the weight and getting to goal was easy compared to now. I have gained 6 lbs and cannot seem to get it off. I seemed to think I was invincible because I ate small portions....well, I guess they aren't small enough! Need to get back to the gym and make better decsions. But my one piece of advice....I got me a FitBit and I love it! Any FitBit users out there? I would like to Friend you on my FitBit site....I find it very inspirational to see how I am doing compared to others. Right now I only have two people and they are kicking my butt! (Granted they are young kids....). So if you have a Fitbit, let me know! Thanks for starting this!

Yes I have a fitbit one. I was kicking butt and now, um, not so much! But Spring is coming! Ha!!! I am sending email by PM

I am curious about diets that long term vets have adopted. There has certainly been much success around the 5:2 diet over the last 6 months by a group of vet gals here on BP.

What other diets have you found successfully helps you manage or lose a little weight from time to time.

For example, I had been eating paleo for much of last year and it worked really well with my cross fit workouts. However, I have found it is very difficult to eat purely paleo with a sleeve as much of the Protein required for maintaining and building needed to come from Protein shakes rather than lean Protein sources like chicken. I can only handle so much chicken a day because of the restriction nature of the sleeve.

So I switched to kind of a zone-like diet, but without the explicit blocking or counting part of it. I do not count anything other than broad amounts (1/2 cup of something, 4 oz is something). I just eat zone compatible foods which is a good ratio of the macros and I do not have to worry about eating Protein Bars or shakes. My protein consumption is able to range between 180 g-225 g a day with this approach, yet I am also able to balance, albeit, far from perfectly, carbs and fat with it. If I would describe the ratios it might be 5:3:2:1 for protein, carbs, veggies and fat. I do not prescribe this is correct or something anyone else should do, but it seems to work with regards to my lifestyle.

Are there other diets you have adopted?

E.g. Atkins, 8 hour, IF, Mediterranean, etc...

Please do share.

I am curious about diets that long term vets have adopted. There has certainly been much success around the 5:2 diet over the last 6 months by a group of vet gals here on BP. What other diets have you found successfully helps you manage or lose a little weight from time to time. For example, I had been eating paleo for much of last year and it worked really well with my cross fit workouts. However, I have found it is very difficult to eat purely paleo with a sleeve as much of the Protein required for maintaining and building needed to come from Protein Shakes rather than lean protein sources like chicken. I can only handle so much chicken a day because of the restriction nature of the sleeve. So I switched to kind of a zone-like diet, but without the explicit blocking or counting part of it. I do not count anything other than broad amounts (1/2 cup of something, 4 oz is something). I just eat zone compatible foods which is a good ratio of the macros and I do not have to worry about eating Protein Bars or shakes. My protein consumption is able to range between 180 g-225 g a day with this approach, yet I am also able to balance, albeit, far from perfectly, carbs and fat with it. If I would describe the ratios it might be 5:3:2:1 for protein, carbs, veggies and fat. I do not prescribe this is correct or something anyone else should do, but it seems to work with regards to my lifestyle. Are there other diets you have adopted? E.g. Atkins, 8 hour, IF, Mediterranean, etc... Please do share.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman Nutritarian Diet lifestyle. I follow this 90% of the time. The other 10% is eating with my family on special occasions. Even then I still try to make excellent food choices. I literally go crazy over a well made kale salad.

I'm back to tracking on myfitnesspal.com . Eating less than 1000 calories. Talked with nutritionist today! She is awesome. Will be adding more Peanut Butter, fruits in my shakes, cheese with wheat crackers. Wants me to up the good carbs but not count calories. Will see what happens

Great, Carol!

Peanut Butter has been my friend ever since I was far enough out to eat it. I like natural peanut butter, the kind that just has peanuts on the ingredient list. It's a pain because the oil separates and you have to mix it but it is worth it. I put it in my shakes and just get spoonfuls from time to time.

I am curious about diets that long term vets have adopted. There has certainly been much success around the 5:2 diet over the last 6 months by a group of vet gals here on BP.

What other diets have you found successfully helps you manage or lose a little weight from time to time.......

Please do share.

If I need to take off weight, I follow something fairly close to my plan's pre-op diet that I followed when waiting for the surgery, eating lean Protein first, then non-starcy veggies, whole grain, and fruit in about that order with 2 servings of nonfat dairy or soy milk per day. It's basically how I eat period, but if I'm at goal, I have treats and cocktails here and there too.

It looks like this:

Breakfast: 1 dairy, 2 Protein, 1 fruit, 1 fat, optionally 1 starch

Lunch: 2-3 protein, 1-2 veggies, 1 starch, 1 fat

Dinner: 3 protein, 1-2 veggies, 1 starch, 1 fat

Snacks: 1 dairy, 1 fruit

I'm smaller, older, and less active so I have to really ratchet the calories back to lose. I stay at goal at around 1300 calories per day. To lose, I cut that to around 800 per day.

Lynda

I'm so happy I found this thread. I have continued to track everyday, but my carbs crept up & my exercise decreased (medical reasons - but cleared fully for exercise now!!) I need to weigh everyday again. It only takes a second and it really does keep me informed. Happy to be back on the site.

I reached my doctor's goal in five months, MY goal, five pound less, a month later. I've been maintaining for over three years now. What I do now, is as natural to me as breathing. I know I can never become complacent, I'm a bit obsessive, but that is no different than 25 years ago, I was obsessive about my weight then as well. I don't stress, I'm not having any trouble staying within my comfort zone, which is 143 - 146.5. I eat off a salad plate, when I'm at home, I normally eat with a seafood fork. I try and always under eat my sleeve. I cannot eat comfortably until I'm full. If I'm full, it isn't like being full prior to surgery, I'm miserable.

I do not exercise, I have not lost one pound because I exercise. I know me, I knew from day 1, I'd have to make lifestyle changes that I could live with forever. There is no end date, this was a lifelong commitment. I do not advocate NOT exercising, but I know me, I know how easily I get bored. I didn't want to become an exercise guru only to lose weight and then get bored, stop and re-gain!! I DO 'move' - I park out in parking lots, I make extra trips up and down our stairs, I have a weighted ball I toss around every so often. That's it. I also have my fitness pal set at sedentary. I do not want "earned" calories added.

Below I am listing what I call my "dashboard" - just like on my truck, the numbers let me know what's going on 'under the hood'. A 'light' goes off if I wake up and weigh 147, I know I need to adjust, change or tweak what I'm doing for a few days. If I'm up above or at the high end of my comfort zone, I just cut calories by 100 - 150 and within two or three days, I'm back to normal.

1) I weigh every morning and go up and down, my comfort zone is 143 - 146.5 (My weight does not dictate my mood) Like someone else said, the scale is my friend!

2) I log my food. I eat anything I want but it is all logged and fit within my 1250 - 1300 calories per day There are things I choose NOT to eat or food I choose not to eat often, but NOTHING but carbonation is off limits

3) I weigh and/or measure all my food when I'm home (when out, I must eyeball it, which I've gotten better at. I put aside what I will eat and box up the rest as soon as I'm finished)

4) I attend support groups. I'm a support group junkie.

All of this is my new normal. Old age, boredom nor a twisted ankle will keep me from weighing, logging or attending a meeting. If I re-gain, it will not be because I stopped exercising for one reason or the other. What I do, works for me. Hopefully it always will....we all have the fear of waking up 25 lbs heavier! Don't we? :)

Edited by StratusPhr