Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had your lap band 3 or more years?

I am looking into having the band, and I come to this site every night. I hear alot of stories from the past year or two, but I am interested in hearing from people who have had it 3 or more years. I am wondering about the weight loss or gain. Also, how often do you get fills, this many years out? I hope there are some people on here who have had theirs this long.

You might need to bump this a few times, there are long term banders out there---but they are not on all the time anymore. You will just have to bump the thread on occasion and try to catch them. Most of them have lost their weight and are out enjoying life I'd guess!!!

Seriously tho---there are long termers out there, it is just going to be a matter of catching them.

Good Luck on yoru research!

Kat

Hi. I was banded in May 2003. :bolt: As you can see, my final weight loss ended up being about 160 pounds. I have not had any fills for about two years because I feel comfortable with my current level of restriction and eating ability.

I haven't had any significant complications. On a day to day basis, it is not that big of a deal anymore and I don't really think about it all that often anymore. It's just my normal way of life now. :)

Best of luck to you!

I was banded in August of 2003, and have lost about 120-130 lbs altogether. I've been maintaining my weight between 210 and 220 for at least the last year, maybe a little longer.

I've had a few episodes of reflux that have necessitated unfills, and next week I'll probably have all my fill removed once again. I don't have much at all, but evidently my body doesn't like it any more and even the least about of congestion or stress makes it really uncomfortable. So I'm going to go for a complete unfill and hope that resolves it.

All in all, though, I'd definitely say that I have had no major complications. The band is a tool that may require maintenance and checkups, but I knew that going in. Before this recent bout of tightness I would have said the same as quakergirl: it's not that big a deal and is just my normal way of life now.

One thing is for danged sure: I never would have gotten a FRACTION of this weight off me without it. It's saved my life.

I will have been Banded 6 years this June. I've been unfilled for 4 of them due to pregnancies. The amazing thing is that up until this last pregnancy, I was maintaining most of my loss without any fill!! I've never ever ever lost weight before the Band... ever. Like, maybe 5 pounds and that's it. The Band allowed me to lose 95 pounds (from 297) and keep most it off through 2 pregnancies. That rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

The one thing I got sick of was the fill game, though. Paying for fills... paying for unfills. Seems like I'm still paying for my Band. Went through times when I decided I was just too tight, and wanted to eat more. Also, got tired of PBing... or having to worry about PBing in public. Always knew where all of the bathrooms were... kept baggies in my car/purse... etc. Even without a fill, I can still sometimes get stuck which is strange. Happens maybe 2-3 times per year.

I'm going to try and refill my Band after this pregnancy and see if I can lose the weight I've gained. When I tried to refill it in-between pregnancies, it was just really hard to go back to the feeling of restriction. I think the post-surgery diet is a blessing, in that it gets you into that mindset. It's much harder 2-3-4 years down the road. If not, I think I will look at the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

No slippage... no GERD.... no erosion... though :P Port still works fine/looks fine. No nutritional issues/osteoporosis/etc.

In general, I stopped hanging on boards at around 2 years post-op... unless I needed to find a fill doctor, or was just curious if any old friends were around. I think that's pretty standard for most Bandsters.

Thanks to everyone who has given a reply. It helps to know the somewhat long-term effects of the band. I know that it is different for everyone. Congrats on all the weight you guys have lost!

Leatha,

I'm so sorry to hear of your slip. You are always such an inspiration to all of us. Please keep us posted and know that you're in our prayers! I don't know if you're still seeing Dr. Veninga or not but I'll pray that God helps you make the best decision for your body and that he gives you a feeling of peace while you are waiting to see what happens.

Good luck,

Kendra

I've had my band since Jan 2003, I've had 4 fills and just had an unfill in Jan, too tight and suffered for 1 year because I was being stubborn. My highest was 270 pregnant, 242 at time of surgery now I'm between 165-170. I'm planning plastic surgery for this summer. I would not lost and kept off this much weight without my band, it has kept in check through my last pregnancy and my divorce. If it hadn't been for my band I'm sure I would have eaten myself to death.

Love my life with my band.

Ana

Awwwww Leatha, I am so sorry to hear your band slipped again. Your Doc said the band was too big? Did they use the larger band on you last time?

Hang in there, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hugs!

I love this thread. It is really great to hear from the bandsters 2 years plus. It gives us all hope.

Hi Letha,

and everybody Im just one year after banding, but what I know for sure I dont have the stitches around my band.I asked my doc if Im gonna have them and he said no.Maybe thats why I had to wait so long to get my first fill (they want the band to overgrow with tissue) to be in the right place.

Letha I hope that you and your band are going to be fine!!