Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy... but I miss rice. I shouldn't, right?

... I mean, I am 15lbs from goal... I have gone from 255 to 184... I feel better than I have felt in years. My blood pressure is down...my knees don't hurt. So why miss something as trivial as rice. I just do. I can't eat it at all anymore... it seems to swell in my stomach and always results in sickness and throwing up. I have finally accepted that I can no longer eat it.

But I miss it.

I love rice. I had made the move to brown rice a few years ago because the white stuff is so high on the glycemic index and required too much insulin. (I am a Type I diabetic.) So try to remember that it requires your body to release too much insulin, and insulin=fat. But I will miss it too! :rolleyes:

I can't eat rice either.....2+ years out, at goal and it's the only thing I cannot eat. And I used to eat it a lot.....I lived in Hawaii and rice was a daily thing;plus sushi...I'm really surprised that I don't miss it; even when we go out and it comes to the table; knowing it will make me sick I guess is motivating not to miss it!

But even if I did, the trade off is so wonderful.

Interesting though how some people can eat it no problem.

I eat Mahatma Whole Grain brown rice. I'm full after a few bites and of course with eating Protein first and my veggies. I grew up on rice! Making the switch never prevented me from making goal, going below or keeping the weight off. In fact I love it! Fiberrrr... does a body good. ;-)

I eat rice....I find noodles are harder to eat then rice...I always eat brown or wild rice..There are so many others too like red rice...good stuff...Anyway rice does expand in your sleeve. So you always have to take that into account....But i do eat it....

:)

I never cooked rice, now I would love some LOL! Not going there, however. I will make no more Pasta or rice. Good thing I am really afraid of eating these foods that have made others sick. That is what I love here, learning from others.

I never cooked rice, now I would love some LOL! Not going there, however. I will make no more Pasta or rice. Good thing I am really afraid of eating these foods that have made others sick. That is what I love here, learning from others.

You will miss out on many things if you are not willing to try different foods and see what your sleeve can tolerate....I can't eat beef, pork, white chicken and have trouble with canned Tuna...I can't eat it but others on here have no problem....

You will need to explore eventually ...My nut says that we need balance in all things not abstinence....I am just saying this because food can get pretty boring if we never ever eat certain things that we don't even know if we can handle or not....

That's so strange that different things cause people different problems. I *can* eat Pasta in small amounts...but my sleeve does not like rice. Or chicken breast - it's too dense and I always have trouble digesting it. I use boneless, skinless thighs in the recipes that I used to eat with chicken breast. No problems there. I have never been a big beef eater (I suddenly pictured the Brits on the gin bottle) so I eat beef rarely, but do well with dark meat chicken and pretty much any seafood. Thanks for the reality check!

Maybe your sleeve can tolerate barley or split peas..There are so many different foods to explore.....Try other things you may find some compatible to your sleeve..I know I am always looking myself..... :)

Actually we are experimenting a little more these days. I just had 1 horrible episode with a piece of crockpot chicken that I ate too fast/or swallowed without chewing well enough and it felt like a heart attack at 4 weeks postop. So I have been food-shy since. We used to eat a lot of fresh vegetables, every meal and I miss that most. We did try a very small salad recently, with no problem. Gives me hope. Since my husband and I were both sleeved there is no need to cook a lot. Good luck everyone!

Actually we are experimenting a little more these days. I just had 1 horrible episode with a piece of crockpot chicken that I ate too fast/or swallowed without chewing well enough and it felt like a heart attack at 4 weeks postop. So I have been food-shy since. We used to eat a lot of fresh vegetables, every meal and I miss that most. We did try a very small salad recently, with no problem. Gives me hope. Since my husband and I were both sleeved there is no need to cook a lot. Good luck everyone!

Glad you are trying other stuff..Must be great to have someone right along with you with a sleeve of their own..Sure makes it easier....I know where your coming from when you make a mistake like that but it will pass and you will want to try new things.....All the best! :)

Have you tried Quinoa? It's a bit rice-like. I like it mixed with veggies, just enough to give it a bit of that rice-like "toothsome" texture. I might have a tablespoon of rice with dinner if my husband's having some, but I generally don't have rice, Pasta, potatoes, or bread any more. Bread's the only one of those things I miss much.

I was able to eat barley before I could tolerate potatoes, rice, or noodles. I agree with others- everyone's different and it's important to try nutritious foods periodically and see if you can have them now. At almost three years out, I can tolerate almost anything except most dairy and tortillas. I can eat 1/2 small corn, but even a few bites of a four one doesn't sit well.

Lynds

... I mean, I am 15lbs from goal... I have gone from 255 to 184... I feel better than I have felt in years. My blood pressure is down...my knees don't hurt. So why miss something as trivial as rice. I just do. I can't eat it at all anymore... it seems to swell in my stomach and always results in sickness and throwing up. I have finally accepted that I can no longer eat it.

But I miss it.

last night was my final straw.... rice was one of my FAVORITE pre-op things, as I love Chinese food... Ive tried rice many times post-op all UNSUCCESSFUL except once.... Last night during superbowl, I missed much of the game because I was in the bathroom, upchucking rice I had tried to eat earlier... ughhh.. I guess rice and I are over...dont..finite! I think I will go mourn now

Maybe it just globs up in your stomach when you eat it. I am convinced I am not experimenting with it.