Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little Worried

I had my lap band surgery in November... My doctor tells me I have a total of 5cc's in a 14 cc band. I feel no restriction. I can eat a lot at a time and get hungary in between meals. Sometimes I worry that I have stretched my pouch out or my band has slipped. Is this possible? I have received two fills. Each time I have gone to my doctor to get my fills he has had trouble finding my port. Stuck me three times the first visit and twice on the second visit. I have continued to loose weight and haven't gained yet. With no restriction I feel I could easily gain weight. I can take a large glass if Water and drink it in big gulps and it goes down fine... Any suggestions?? Am I just worried to much?

This is a question I am noticing consistently coming up. It takes a while before one can get the type of restriction that will limit you from eating or drinking more than we were instructed to. Usually 3 to 5 fills. Everybody's body is different. Just because you can gulp or eat more doesn't mean that you should. Your stoma shouldn't be stretched. Your body is still adjusting to what you have endured only two months ago. It takes time. Please be patient and continue to follow your doctor's orders. As long as you are losing weight is the main thing because that is the point. Losing weight. Continued success.

Thanks!!! I guess I just got worried that maybe he had poked a hole in my port since he had trouble getting to my port and I didn't feel restriction.

This is the time when you have to be strong. It wont last forever. Measure your food to no more then a cup of healthy Protein because if you don't start now you will over eat when you get to restriction and the food will just back up into your esophagus. Now is the time to get accustomed to your band and to live a different life then before. Just because you can eat more don't. It wont help you in the long run.

Each meal. They should be 1/2 cup to 1 cup or as my doctor told me, no more than 4 ounces total. That includes Protein (meat), veggies, and fruit. I usually don't eat all that. It's too much at one time.

I think the ports are pretty rugged. Mine is 9+ years old, never leaked, and they hit it every time the first time.

IF the average adjustment is "4 times a year" that's 3 dozen + surgical access to my silicon port window.

While adjustment sticks have not always been "comfortable" they've never needed more than 1 insertion to hit it. And except for the first few where I was apprehensive, anesthetic shot only a couple times the first year.

While the stomach can stretch, and I may be in error, the location of the pouch is a very stout mucular area, which is not so much affected by the gravitational and fluidic effects of over eating.....as located there too are the most numerous mechanical proprioceptive receptors.....although I may have forgotton some of the detail in all those human antatomy and physiology classes I took so long ago.

I think our most variable part of the entire Bandster postOp experience, is individual psychometric and emotional response to a similar and fairly standardized surgical procedure. The variations between Bands too are not as volatile as the response of whomever the patient is....and we all have a host of variabilities unpreditable and unknownable, as our adaption to the stress of a New Life centers around New Behavior we were never able to accomplish preOp.

The various flusters and anxieties I had as a New Bandster were certainly helped immensly by the combined experience and encourangment of the fledgling LBT of a decade ago.

cheers to us all on our journey!!!

Edited by Jack

Sure. Two cups of coffee every morning including weekends to start. Monday-Friday varies because of work. Usually after coffee I will have my Protein Shake made with 1 scoop of whey Protein mix, ice, greek yogurt with fruit, and almond milk. If, which is not all the time. If I get hungry before lunch, I will have a cheese stick. Lunch will then be 1 four ounce baked fish fillet with a lettuce, Tomato, cheese, bacon bits, and bell pepper salad with ranch dressing. Some days I can eat all my salad other days I cannot. Supper will then be a small chili with cheese and onion from Wendys. or some type of Mexican food. I love Mexican food. Some days it may be a beef Gordita. If I eat out with my SO, we share a beef and chicken fajita platter for which I will eat the Charro Beans, some meat, with guacamole and pico de gallo so I can have the left overs for lunch the next day. It sounds like a lot but I nibble. Other evenings I will cook me a turkey patty with cheese and no sides. Everyday is different and depends on my mood. If I crave a hamburger, I will get one. I usually purchase the $2 bacon McDouble and I only eat one bun. I can't eat two and will have a few French fries. That's only when I crave which is not often. Other mornings if I'm feeling hungry I will eat eggs with bacon. This past week I shied away from my norm and actually bought Weight watchers dinners for Breakfast and Lean Cuisin meals for lunch. They have the ounces on the box so I don't usually eat it all. I only get them for the variety of meats and green vegies not so much for the potatoes or Pasta which most of them have. I try to avoid those. I hope this helps.

Lady VS, Thanks this helps a lot... Today I had a cup of coffee for breakfast and egg, two pieces of bacon, and toast. This was a late breakfast. Then for supper I had a piece of meat, a spoon full of potatoes, and green been, and corn. I feel like I have over eat today so maybe I need to start measuring. Thanks for you help!???? I am just new at this. Do u mind telling me how many cc's u have in your band?

Sounds like a good dinner. :) I have 7 ccs in a 10 cc band. You are very welcome. That's what we are here for. To help and learn. Good luck on your journey.

But remember, the amount of ccs in her band has nothing to do with you or yours. Some here get in the green with no fills, some get 2 or 3 fills and some get upwards of 6 or 7. It all depends on your body. I have 5.5 in mine and if I had 7 I wouldn't be able to swallow Water. Just sayin....

I was banded early in November and have had four fills -- will go back for another appointment soon to assess how it is going. The followup schedule is pretty aggressive -- 11 appointments in the first year. I'm feeling hungrier and can tell the duration is not there yet. My surgeon recommends meals the size of a tennis ball and not hungry again for 4-5 hours. We will get there! This is kind of a tough time -- I'm trying not to have dieter's mentality but still lose weight. Goal for me is not to be on a diet, but to eat when hungry, choosing healthy foods in small amounts and waiting the interval before eating again. Good luck to you. In reading so many posts, I think we are at a very predictable stage for 2-3 months out -- healed up from the surgery but not yet at optimal restriction (green zone).

Oh, I meant to say that I have no Idea how much Fluid is in my band. My surgeon does not share that information with me as I think he doesn't want me obsessing over it. He has said that it takes most of his patients 4-5 fills before restriction is felt. I'm glad we are going slow because I'm learning as we go.

You would know fairly quickly if you had a slip! Your doctor would also know. It sounds like you are right on track. Not everyone achieves restriction the 1st few fills. If you are eating a meal and are satisfied after eating, adn not hungry for 3-4 hours, then you are at green. If not, then you need more adjustment! Best wishes, karen..aka.kll724