Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions for a care/starter package?

My sister will be having gastric bypass surgery on January 27. I am working on a care package for her. I'd like to get her a blender, maybe Protein powders, things like that.

What would you recommend I get her to sort of start her out? Particular Protein powders, blender (single serve), other nice things to have.

She really doesn't like smoothies so this will be tough on her. I'm hoping to find things she'd like.

She has kids and a husband who works out of state. I want to get things that will make her life easier and better.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Southern Fried Pugs

My sister will be having gastric bypass surgery on January 27. I am working on a care package for her. I'd like to get her a blender, maybe Protein powders, things like that.

What would you recommend I get her to sort of start her out? Particular Protein powders, blender (single serve), other nice things to have.

She really doesn't like smoothies so this will be tough on her. I'm hoping to find things she'd like.

She has kids and a husband who works out of state. I want to get things that will make her life easier and better.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Southern Fried Pugs

Protein shakes are critical, especially in the early weeks. I use Premier Protein shakes that you can get at Sam's Club. I like the chocolate. I did use a powder at the beginning, but never really liked it. My clinic gave me some samples, I would try those, because the powders are expensive and if she doesn't like them, it's a waste. Low fat Greek Yogurt and low fat mozzarella string cheese were staples in the first weeks. Also canned tuna and canned chicken. A small blender is nice, but you only really use it the first two weeks, or at least I did. Hope that helps.

Carol. RNY on 6/25/13.

I second the Premier shakes, also available at costco and online. They are premade and much smoother than I've ever been able to mix a powder. Other recommendations:

-pill divider/planner for all the Vitamins

-some Water flavoring packets or mixes like Mio (I love their Hawaiian punch) and crystal light

-broth mix, or even some homemade if so inclined (those first weeks on all liquids leave you really sick of anything sweet)

-maybe a pedometer since walking is the best and only exercise we can do that early

-cute pair of slipper socks for the hospital stay maybe?

-one of the weight loss surgery guides or books out there would be good (there's threads with titles of them on here)

I would say a few RTD shakes. I personally love OhYeah!

Some Syntrax nectar samples.

some chicken broth packets.

Jello made in some take out condiment containers. ( can get 2oz at Walmart near plastic cups or other sizes at a retaraunt supply store)

sugar free popsicles, heating pad for back, EAS makes a advantEDGE carb control with 17 grams of Protein Drink at Walmart, it has no sugars (important due to those sensitive to sugars) they are affordable and premixed.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am flying to get to her so I can't bring any ready to drink shakes. I am sending her your recommendations though. I got her the unjury starter pack and a sampler from Vitalady. I'm also getting her a soft robe and slippers for the hospital because she wouldn't get that for herself.

I am doing my best to be supportive of her. She's been freaking out and crying since Jan 8 when she got the surgery date. Where is the line between following your gut instinct and not giving into fear? She makes decisions (some terribly wrong ones) and then feels compelled to follow through because she said she would. I'm afraid that her stubbornness will win over any concerns that she has. I want her to do what is best for her and not because I bought an airplane ticket to be with her. What would you have liked to hear pre-surgery?

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am flying to get to her so I can't bring any ready to drink shakes. I am sending her your recommendations though. I got her the unjury starter pack and a sampler from Vitalady. I'm also getting her a soft robe and slippers for the hospital because she wouldn't get that for herself.

I am doing my best to be supportive of her. She's been freaking out and crying since Jan 8 when she got the surgery date. Where is the line between following your gut instinct and not giving into fear? She makes decisions (some terribly wrong ones) and then feels compelled to follow through because she said she would. I'm afraid that her stubbornness will win over any concerns that she has. I want her to do what is best for her and not because I bought an airplane ticket to be with her. What would you have liked to hear pre-surgery?

I cried off and on for days before surgery. Also in my presurgery appointments you can see my blood pressure going higher ans higher heading up to my surgery date. I was consumed with anxiety and worry that I might not make it through it.

Then, I woke up from surgery, had my pain meds, and haven't regretted it yet 5 months later. While I have lost weight, I have regained my life as well as hope. I know now that my body can change, and I can do better, so I am spurred on to continue trying to lose weight.

I'm not sure there was anything that could have been said to ease me before surgery. I was terribly afraid of leaving my husband alone and wanting more time on this earth with him. What did help me was continually coming here to check on the progress of others and their stories. That lifted me up and focused me (continues to this day actually) on my goal which is a healthier body and a longer life.

God bless you and your sister. It's a blessing to have family to care for you.

I am really not a crier, so that wasn't an issue. That said, my anxiety really increased leading up to surgery. I had lost 40 pounds prior to surgery using the MyFitnessPal.com app. On the day of surgery it took every ounce of courage I had to go though with it. I will say that it has without a doubt been the best thing I have ever done for myself. A couple pieces of advice... Go into the surgery in the best shape you can be in. I steadily increased my workouts (on a recumbent elliptical) up to surgery. Start using MyFitnessPal.com now. I believe that using this app has been key to my success so far and will be key to my long term success. Make as many changes as possible BEFORE surgery. Start counting Protein grams, separate food and drink, start drinking 80 oz of Water every day, keep an accurate food diary. Doing these things now will make the other side SO much easier.

Having a support system in place is also vital. Your sister is very lucky to have you. I had my husband and he could not have been better!

Finally, if she is not active on this site, get her here. This site has been an invaluable support system for me.

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. Her surgery went well and she came home on Wednesday, probably a day too early. She's sleeping a lot. Like 20 hours a day. I had to come home, leaving her husband and kids to take care of her. Unfortunately, that's not going well. They won't wake her up to drink which is leading to dehydration. They are also not making her walk around. She's also experiencing a lot of pain and will be out of her Loratab tomorrow.

She has a really bad headache which I've read can be dehydration, lack of Protein, coming off the morphine, etc. She has a low fever which will also make her feel terrible.

Her surgery was Monday. When should she be feeling at least somewhat normal? Like able to stay awake for more than 15 minutes? She thinks that she should be better by now. I know everyone heals at a different pace but is there something that clearly says, go to the doctor?

She distrusts the surgeon because they did something to her shoulder in surgery. Pulled her arm so bad that it pulled or tore her muscle. Everyone kept saying it was gas, but moving it in particular ways made her scream. We think they used it to pull her on to the table and won't admit it. They wouldn't do anything or won't until her first post-op appointment on Tuesday.

I'm just at a loss for what to do long-distance.

For a non-professional recommendation, I would say the first thing you must think of is Protein shakes. First week post-op is very important. You must stay with your sister to take care of her, or remind her via phone. liquid diets are recommended first week post-op. You can give your sister pureed food in the second week. But, the biggest concern for now is Protein and hydration.

I wish I could have stayed or brought her home with me. She lives in Nebraska, and I'm in Virginia. I couldn't take off more time from work or leave my dogs with friends any longer. I am calling and texting her several times a day. They are headed to the grocery store now to find something with Protein that she will drink.

I'll keep at it. I guess worst case, she'll go back in the hospital. That might be better anyway. At least for now.

I wish I could have stayed or brought her home with me. She lives in Nebraska, and I'm in Virginia. I couldn't take off more time from work or leave my dogs with friends any longer. I am calling and texting her several times a day. They are headed to the grocery store now to find something with Protein that she will drink.

I'll keep at it. I guess worst case, she'll go back in the hospital. That might be better anyway. At least for now.

I am very sorry to hear that she is having such a difficult time. Pain is very difficult to manage, and you want to stay on top of it. That said, she should start to be able to cut back on the narcotics. Suggest she try extra strength Tylenol (she will need to cut the pills) for some of the pain relief, especially during the day. I would suspect that once she is taking fewer narcotics, she will begin to feel more awake. Getting enough Water and Protein and especially Vitamins in is vitally important. The more she moves the better she will feel. This is so much easier with a good support system. It is unfortunate that her husband has not stepped up to be that support for her. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.