Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should Pets be more than Property?

Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?

• Leave the law alone. It is an animal.
    • Change the law. Pets are like family members.

$100 dollars is not even close to enough. If your animal got sick from tainted food, and you took him to a good vet who put him on IV fluids and the proper meds and periodic bloodwork your vet bill would probably be somewhere between $1000 and $5000. $100 is not even a drop in the bucket.

They discovered RAT POISON in the tainted food.

The poison is illegal in the USA.

The company, food Menu, recently started buying Wheat Gluten from China.

The suspicion is that the RAT POISON was in the Wheat Gluten from China.

Wheat Gluten from China is also used in foods for HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

What the HELL are we buying Wheat shit from f'in CHina when we friggin' grow the stuff here.

:girl_hug:

We pay US wheat farmers NOT to grow wheat. Then we buy the cheap stuff from China - cheap because it is produced with child/slave labor and cheap because there is little quality control (DUH).

For a nation that is supposed to be soooooo smart, we sure are a bunch of dumb asses!

The suspicion is that the RAT POISON was in the Wheat Gluten from China.

Wheat Gluten from China is also used in foods for HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

In my latest order of Nutrisystem food, the Almond biscotti has been making me sick. I've never had a problem eating it before, but this time, it's been giving me horrible abdominal cramps and diarrhea. One piece of biscotti gave me 6 days of the runs! The main ingredient is wheat gluten. Makes you wonder if this stuff is in people food, too, and it's not being reported because no one has had a serious or fatal response, yet. I'm throwing away rest of the biscotti.

I've been a bit constipated lately. Can I borrow the rest of those biscotti?

Sure, as long as you're never more than 30 seconds from a bathroom, I'll send you all you want! :biggrin1:

I think they are going to find that they have been spreading rat poison around the wheat crops in China to keep rats from damaging the crops.

China does produce "human grade" wheat and "pet grade" wheat. I know they do this with meats. For example, meats that have fallen on the floor or are parts that humans don't consume can be considered "pet grade". But why wheat? It isn't like parts of it can't be consumed. What would be the need to have different grades of meat for humans and animals? I don't get it.

PET food RECALL UPDATE: OTHER CONTAMINANTS MAY BE INVOLVED624974.jpg

</SPAN>Since Menu Foods, Inc. announced its massive pet food recall on March 16, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has been flooded with calls from pet parents and animal welfare professionals alike. Based on data from these calls, the ASPCA reports that clinical signs in cats affected by the contaminated foods are not fully consistent with the ingestion of rat poison containing aminopterin which, says Menu Foods, is at the “root” of the contamination issue.

Explains the ASPCA’s Dr. Steven Hansen, veterinary toxicologist, “There are so many inconsistencies in the purported link between aminopterin and the animals affected that we urge veterinary toxicologists and veterinary pathologists at diagnostic laboratories to continue looking for additional contaminants.”

Pets who are being treated for kidney failure suspected to be related to contaminated food should stay on their treatment. If your pet has eaten contaminated food and shows any signs of illness, including loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in Water consumption and changes in urination, please consult with a veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately. In order to help with your pet’s diagnosis, you are advised to:

- retain food samples for analysis

- save all packaging and receipts, and document the product name, type of product, date codes and/or production lot numbers

- document the dates that the product was fed to your pet, how much was eaten, and the time when you first noticed symptoms

Adverse effects or deaths of pets conclusively linked to eating the contaminated foods should be reported to the FDA. Additionally, the American Veterinary Medical Association website contains helpful information for pet parents and veterinarians. For a complete list of recalled pet food brands, please visit http://www.menufoods.com/recall.

FDA: Plastics Chemical In Recalled Pet food

PETA Calls For Expanded Recall

UPDATED: 9:54 am CDT March 30, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- Government testing of recalled pet food linked to dog and cat deaths has found a chemical used to make plastics.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient.

Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.

Earlier results from a lab in New York had blamed a rodent poison and cancer drug called aminopterin for the deaths.

PETA Wants Bigger Recall

Meanwhile, some animal rights advocates say a pet-food recall does not go far enough.

The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the government and pet food makers to expand the recall to include dry varieties, too.

Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. Some major brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba, were involved.

The Food and Drug Administration said it has no plans to suggest a wider recall and veterinarians said they've seen no trend of dogs and cats getting sick from eating dry food.

Previous Stories:

I have to say that my cats are my babies also. But, if you go back to the idea of them being property, does their value go up with vet bills? I recently spent $2500 nursing my cat back to health (iv, feeding tube, and all), does that make $2500+ her 'value'? Probably not.

My cat's issues were liver, not kidney, and my other cat didn't get sick at all, so I don't think it's related to food, but my vet kept asking me if I'd given her Tylenol because there was some blood count that is only raised by Tylenol and sometimes onions. To my knowledge she'd not had either of those, but who knows.

It will be interesting to see what happens with people start suing. Right now it's "We love pets too and we're doing everything we can to find out what happened, etc, etc" but we'll see what happens when it comes to compensating people.

This law needs to be changed! To many people have lost so much! I know if my dog Sophia got sick, and I had to pay thousands of dollars to make her well, I would want the guilty party to have to pay the vet bills... If this was one of my children, god knows that the law would be on my side.... Well, my dog is my fourth child... I love her as if she were one of my children! The law should show that our animals are our family!

I have pet medical insurance for my dog.... it is well worth the extra money to secure your animals health!