Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should Pets be more than Property?

Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?

• Leave the law alone. It is an animal.
    • Change the law. Pets are like family members.

In this situation I don't think $100 should be enough to cover it, but I'm not sure you can make pets the same as kids in that way. Maybe there is another way, like $100 compensatory damages, and a million in punitive damages, something like that.

But to me the thing that is strangest of all about this pet food situation is to learn that one company made all the pet food for all the stores from Walmart Reject Emporium all the way up to Pampered Pets Plush Boutique. They made everything from the pet food they sell at 125 cans for a dollar type of pet food all the way up to the $125 a can type of pet food. Isn't that weird? Do you think it's the same stuff? I've always given my pets the "good" stuff. But am I just stupid? Is it all the same?

I used to design for a company that made a product that everyone owns and uses. Let's say that product was a hairdryer (it wasn't, but let's use it for the sake of example). This hairdryer was sold in high-end stores and in Walmart. But there were different versions of the hairdryer - the one that we sold in Walmart was the cheapest, most basic version of a hairdryer you could ever find. It was still approved and tested for quality and use, but it was basically a piece of crap compared to the hairdryers that we made for the high-end stores.

In other words, the same company can make a wide range of products that differ in quality. They cut corners on products to appeal to stores that only care about price, like Walmart, and they make better products to appeal to stores that care more about quality (which is part of the reason why I refuse to shop at Walmart, but that's probably a different conversation for a different thread).

If you buy more expensive, higher quality pet food, you are probably buying better pet food. It's probably not all the same.

Of course, that's not *always* true. Something like 90% of generic batteries are made by Duracell and Energizer. They leave the labels off and sell them at wholesale cost to Target or whoever.

Do your research and you will be a better consumer. And what good American doesn't want to be a better consumer? :o

I know this is off the original topic but related to the last post....my BIL worked in a factory making refrigerators---one refrigerator design---in the motor, the condensers etc. 6 different companies, added their own shelving, and minor styling differences. The working components were identical, and they sold for up to $600.00 difference in price range depending on what "name brand" got attached to the exterior!

Food---including pet food DOES have to be listed in the order it appears, as has bren discussed....but nothing dictates the quality of the items listed does it?

It is scary. I still miss Bailey, and wonder if if my feeding him something bad made his last days pain filled and miserable. Yes I would have done so unknowingly, but it still fills me with remorse. Poor mean little brat, I sure miss him!

Kat

After the pet food recall, I became very picky about what our 3 dogs ate. I cooked for them for quite awhile (lots of work!!) and searched for something I felt was safe. The pet food companies can say only one type was involved or whatever..but if its made on one of their lines, I don't trust the food. (very similar to peanuts involved in a product line, anything else made on that line isn't safe for those with peanut allergies)

No companies that are saying their foods are now safe are promising that they are not importing grain Protein from China any longer. They just want us to blindly assume they are telling the truth. I no longer trust them.

Anyway, this all led to a lot of searching for something safe, and I've found a dry food that is safe, and the dogs like it. I won't get into all of it, you can read it for yourself if you're interested.

Pet Promise; no byproducts, no meat meal or chicken meal; Pure & natural nutrition for your pet

After the pet food recall, I became very picky about what our 3 dogs ate. I cooked for them for quite awhile (lots of work!!) and searched for something I felt was safe. The pet food companies can say only one type was involved or whatever..but if its made on one of their lines, I don't trust the food. (very similar to peanuts involved in a product line, anything else made on that line isn't safe for those with peanut allergies)

No companies that are saying their foods are now safe are promising that they are not importing grain Protein from China any longer. They just want us to blindly assume they are telling the truth. I no longer trust them.

Anyway, this all led to a lot of searching for something safe, and I've found a dry food that is safe, and the dogs like it. I won't get into all of it, you can read it for yourself if you're interested.

Pet Promise; no byproducts, no meat meal or chicken meal; Pure & natural nutrition for your pet

I also have 3 dogs and NO time to cook for them! I appreciate this link and will check it out further. Currently, I have been feeding my dogs Eagle Pack brand dog food.... it is made in this country and has not had any recalls. It is featured in many holistic-type dog publications as one of their top picks. But this link you posted sounds even better. Thanks for posting!

My 3 dogs are doing great on this food, and I'm finally convinced that what I'm feeding them (non-homemade) is safe and actually good for them. All 3 like it, and eat it readily.

Read the company's website, it offers a lot of information about not only the food itself, but the philosophy of the company, and how carefully they choose suppliers.

Has anyone, like myself, been feeding their cats the same thing for 2-3+ years and then switched them over? That's the part I'm not looking forward to. Usually it screws them up for a short period of time as their body gets used to the new stuff.

thanks,

Tracy

Has anyone, like myself, been feeding their cats the same thing for 2-3+ years and then switched them over? That's the part I'm not looking forward to. Usually it screws them up for a short period of time as their body gets used to the new stuff.

thanks,Tracy

I think it is the same with both cats and dogs. So the best bet is to switch them slowly. A few bits of the new food with the old, then a few spoons, than 1/3, then 1/2 and so forth. This usually works for my dogs, all with very sensitive stomachs!! Good luck :nervous

I think it is the same with both cats and dogs. So the best bet is to switch them slowly. A few bits of the new food with the old, then a few spoons, than 1/3, then 1/2 and so forth. This usually works for my dogs, all with very sensitive stomachs!! Good luck :nervous

Brilliant! thanks!

T

I am a mom to a sixteen month old dog daughter. The menu foods recall was very scary. Luckily the breeder had told me that dogs do not tolerate wheat well, and NEVER to give her wheat products.

It got me thinking, Why do I eat wheat. After doing some research I gave it up in April. Then decided the next step to health was the lapband.

It seems that everyone on this thread is very dedicated to taking care of there animal family members, and are striving for proper nutrition for there pets.

I wonder though, how many people buy crap for their kids, stuff such as pizza, mcDonalds, Mac&Cheese, bologna, ketchup, etc etc.

Just something to think about, from someone who admittedly does not know how hard it is to raise HUMAN children.

Cheers

Well for us.. our dog especially are our 'kids'. We don't spoil them like I've seen some places in like LA that have bakeries for your dog, and we don't take her out everywhere..

But she is an indoor dog (boxer), she knows what we're saying when we tell her to do things, and she is sooo loving. My sister's puppy recently was put to sleep for acute renal failure, and they think it was contageous, so we just spent quite a bit of money with our dog in the vet last week (with no symptoms) just to make sure she's protected even though exposed. And I kept thinking of what I would do if something happened to her, and it's just a horrible thought. If my dog died due to the dog food, I would be suing for more than the $300 I paid for her. I've spent much more in vet bills through the years, and emotionally I would be wrecked.

My cats are also like my 'kids', but I wouldn't be as devastated if something happened to them. They are all ragdolls and indoor cats, and I do love them very much.. but Cassy (our dog) really is like our kid!! (See the pic of her.. my avatar.. she's a pumpkin! hehe)