Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should Pets be more than Property?

Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think the law should be changed regarding Pets?

• Leave the law alone. It is an animal.
    • Change the law. Pets are like family members.

They say: a dog has a family, a cat has servants.

"They" are correct!! But lately, with our 3 dogs, I am beginning to think that the "servant" label fits there, also! :eek

"They" are correct!! But lately, with our 3 dogs, I am beginning to think that the "servant" label fits there, also! :eek

That is a lot of canine family. :) We only have one cat at the moment and she is not a very nice one. :tired But she is ours. :phanvan

That is a lot of canine family. :) We only have one cat at the moment and she is not a very nice one. :tired But she is ours. :phanvan

You mean..... cats can be nice??? :)

Have only read the first couple of pages but it's ironic that the pet food itself was also made from dead animals.

The sooner the law recognises that non-human animals feel pain and have an interest in being alive, the better (whether or not they have more value placed on them by being loved/not eaten by humans).

I really miss having a dog. Had one for 13 awesome years. Now I have to be content with my neighbour's dog (who worships me) because I have no yard.

Having lost a pet recently this thread hit home with me. When the recall was issued I followed it closely because we fed our cats the Walmart brand cat food that was on the recall list. Of course I immediatly threw it all away and changed to a brand that wasn't on the list. And started watching closely for any signs of our babys being ill.

about a month or so after the recall as my SO got up to go to work our oldest cat Tommy(7 yr old male) was vomiting and dry heaving really badly:sick. So my SO crated him and took him to the vet. Where they proceded to run tests. they gave him a shot for the vomiting and us instructions on what to do for him as we waited 2 days for the results to come back.

He stoped vomiting but refused to eat or drink, vets said not to feed but encourage liquids till the test results came back.

well the poor guy just layed around never leaving our bed room except to use the litter box and began running a fever, on day 2. When I called the vet (at 8 am)to tell them about it they said they had the test results and to bring him in IMMEDIATLY. Buy 11am they had him in surgery and at 11:20 we had the bad news.

He wasn't treatable/savable. He had cancer of his large intestine and it was so badly necrofied (80% of his large intestine) that it had ruptured and was spilling its contents into his abdominal cavity.

Even now 3 months later typing this I am having another tearfull spell:cry. Our whole family was devistated of course especially my 12 year old son who Tommy slept with every night. After 7 years he WAS a member of the family. We had gotten him from a neighbor as a kitten and despite being a normal aloof cat most of the time we loved him dearly.

I do think the laws need to be changed to address that pets to allot of people are more then property. And that some people do view them as possessions. But at the same time The aren't quite the same as having kids.

Tommy is larger one and Butterscotch is the smaller female. She now wanders the hall in the house mewing pitiously sometimes missing her companion.

Img_5670003.jpg

Telecia, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I recently lost a cat which I adored. He died of kidney failure. Sometimes I wonder whether contaminated pet food had anything to do with this.

Telecia: I am so sorry about your beloved cat. What a sad story and what a shock for you to lose him so suddenly. I know some people who won't have another pet because losing one is so painful, but I think they add so much to life that the pain of loss is less than the joy they bring while with us. I hope the memories you have will help comfort you in your loss.

Diva: Your Yorkie is so adorable! No wonder he owns you!

Green: Actually, I love cats and am sure yours is as sweet as can be. At least for a cat..... :)

Marjon: No WAY!!

Green: Actually, I love cats and am sure yours is as sweet as can be. At least for a cat..... :(

Nope, Green really does have the worst pussy! :faint:

Nope, Green really does have the worst pussy! :faint:

uh..... I think I better not make a comment on THAT..... :(