Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all,

I have generalized anxiety disorder. I had two psychs clear me before the surgery and I was completely honest with both of them. I'm now day 4 post op and my worst struggle is not Water, not Protein, not Vitamins... it's my anxiety. It's worse than ever. I should really have anticipated this. Anything that changes in my body is cause for a complete nervous breakdown. I know mentally and emotionally that everything is fine (I even made a panicked trip to my surgeon's office to make sure). But it doesn't stop the fight-or-fight response from occurring and making all of the bad stuff that comes from panic attacks from happening.

Does anyone else have an anxiety disorder?

Did you go through this?

Any helpful thoughts from anyone with or without an anxiety disorder?

I would ask for a benzo (klonipin, xanax etc) if you are really struggling during this period.

There is no need to sit there and suffer. I know exactly how you feel and it's really a terrible, awful feeling!

Yup I have it really bad...that said, I realized that you can't die from the panic attacks and if you just force yourself to let it pass through you without responding to it it goes much faster...

I deep breath and then tell myself I'm okay no matter where I am or what I am doing..Then I get up and start to do something that is completely not planned....

I will deal with this like you for the rest of my life....Ativan helps but I don't take it much at all..I find I am better off this way...Except the next day I am very tired from the experience

Hi. I'm glad you posted this. I'm scheduled for feb 25 and I have bad anxiety as well. I take Xanax and it does help so much!! I would ask for that. If you are already on it then maybe upping the dose. I listen to meditation music sometimes. You've gone to the dr and checked it out. So now it is a head thing. I've been there. Just breathe. In box me and I will help up thru it!! Hang in there!!! Xo

I would ask for a benzo (klonipin, xanax etc) if you are really struggling during this period.

There is no need to sit there and suffer. I know exactly how you feel and it's really a terrible, awful feeling!

I have Xanax... been using it for years. Because of the dizziness I'm experiencing (which I -know- is just the severe reduction of calories), the Xanax makes it worse. I'm currently crushing up 1/4 of my usual dose and putting that in my Water twice a day. It helps some but increases the dizziness. So I don't really want to increase the dose.

Yup I have it really bad...that said, I realized that you can't die from the panic attacks and if you just force yourself to let it pass through you without responding to it it goes much faster...

I deep breath and then tell myself I'm okay no matter where I am or what I am doing..Then I get up and start to do something that is completely not planned....

I will deal with this like you for the rest of my life....Ativan helps but I don't take it much at all..I find I am better off this way...Except the next day I am very tired from the experience

Yup, I've been dealing with this for 14 years now and I go through all of the relaxing "tell yourself it's not real" motions. Usually that and, if it gets real bad, a hot shower, usually helps (with the Xanax of course). And it all helps a little now, but it seems to come zooming back the next hour. Usually, once I ditch the attack it's gone for at least the day, for a week or two during my good spells. But this almost constant attack is wearing me down.

Have you asked your doc if something different might not cause the dizziness? If not it's worth a shot.

Klonipin is much longer lasting than xanax (like 6+ hrs) and doesn't give you any kind of buzz or "feeling" at all like xanax and some of the other benzos do (other than the calmness). Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Hi. I'm glad you posted this. I'm scheduled for feb 25 and I have bad anxiety as well. I take Xanax and it does help so much!! I would ask for that. If you are already on it then maybe upping the dose. I listen to meditation music sometimes. You've gone to the dr and checked it out. So now it is a head thing. I've been there. Just breathe. In box me and I will help up thru it!! Hang in there!!! Xo

Thanks! I will do that as soon as my hubby comes to get my laptop for me. I'm not currently allowed to lift it. It's 17 lbs. (Gaming laptop). My phone is about to die. Lol

Have you asked your doc if something different might not cause the dizziness? If not it's worth a shot.

Klonipin is much longer lasting than xanax (like 6+ hrs) and doesn't give you any kind of buzz or "feeling" at all like xanax and some of the other benzos do (other than the calmness). Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon. :)

I was actually on klonopin before Xanax. I did enjoy using it as well. Both work well for me. But because of the much higher addiction rate of klonopin, my doctors are very loathe to use it. I may ask for a small prescription if I can't get this under control though.

I too have anxiety and have successfully managed it for years with Zoloft. Fortunately, I have not had a full blown panic attack in years.

I never stopped taking my medication and was easily able to take it after. (I just have to break the pill in two).

My anxiety onset when I was 30 about 6 months after having my 1st child and around the time I was having knee problems leading to surgery. On a side note, my father had his 1st heart attack very young at 30. (granted...other contributing factors there). Anyway, Long story short I have always been convinced that my anxiety stems around my inability to lose weight, keep it off, be at a healthy weight, etc. The more weight I gained the more it affected my health. I am fortunate to say that my co-morbitities prior to surgery were minor but I could put myself into an anxiety attack just thinking about the possibilities of what I was doing to my health. I could visualize being in a hospital from a heart attack and feeling like I deserved it because I chose not to prevent it.

My point is that I am optimistic that making this major change (3 weeks post op) and working hard at it will eliminate some of my anxiety.

I know that most anxiety is generalized but do you know what triggers it? We cant talk ourselves out of anxiety as we have probably all learned the hard way. In fact sometimes that makes it worse. But if you know your worry spots, you can apply some positive thinking toward that which might affectly reduce anxiety. I have become good at that but in fairness, not sure I would be able to without the medication.

When all else fails, for me, its distraction. Favorite TV, movie, book or even video games that keep your attention. I have been in ruts where I became addicted to these distractions but in tough times, they sure do help.

And we have heard it over and over but I hate to say its true. Exercise! I am not a big fan but I am learning to adopt the thinking that I dont have to walk 5 miles or workout for an hour to get benefits from moving. The more I move,...the more I move...in a good way.

Best of Luck...anxiety is truly one of the most frustrating and scary things I have ever had to deal with...

Yup, I've been dealing with this for 14 years now and I go through all of the relaxing "tell yourself it's not real" motions. Usually that and, if it gets real bad, a hot shower, usually helps (with the Xanax of course). And it all helps a little now, but it seems to come zooming back the next hour. Usually, once I ditch the attack it's gone for at least the day, for a week or two during my good spells. But this almost constant attack is wearing me down.

All of the time that this happens to me it is because I am dwelling on something that I don't openly know what it is..something is bothering me when it continues to come back over and over again....You mentioned that you are 4 days post op...That brings a lot of fear anxiety of the unknown and what might happen or what won't..I did this, why? Regrets..It can be anything...Ask yourself what has been eating at you for the last few days and why you are internally upset...Speak to your husband..I bet as you talk to him about your feelings it will come out...

Sometimes we think it is one thing and then it is another....Anxiety is a strange creature...it can fool you!!! I do this myself and fight all the time to solve the mystery.....

Music, meditation, exercise, distraction.... I use them all. I suffer from post-stroke anxiety since 9/11/2010...a really bad day. My doctor put me on Sertraline (a generic Zoloft) and that served me well for a while. When I started my bariatric journey in August 2013, the bariatric physician switched me to Buproprion ( a generic Wellbutrin). There has been a noticeable difference in my anxiety level, plus the benefit of extra friskiness...if you know what I mean ;)

I'm here for the responses...I have recently diagnosed myself...lol, I haven't been able to sleep or focus or anything since I know I submit paperwork on 1/31/14. The thought of it all gives me breathing problems and headaches and I cant eat most times. Im so super excited I cant even focus at work...

this whole process is completely consuming me but I guess my ultimate fear is more...possible depression! Having to do this surgery the month before my husband and I complete our classes and accept jobs causing us to move from Baltimore, Maryland to Santa Monica,California. Currently planning my daughter's sweet 16 event and having to train a temp to cover my position while I'm out...Pssssst, I hate people touching my work!!

All these major changes at once have my mind in a whirlwind. I'm deep breathing right now...I just can't wait until next year already! Hopefully all smooth sailing...

Taking all prayers!! lol