Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pro's and Con's of lapband

I'm still thinking about having this procedure. My main concern is I'm afraid of eating the wrong things. What is getting "stuck" Can I have it taken out or no more fills? I don't want to be to skinny, just a healthy weight. Does lapband help you know when your full? I'm sure I'll have other questions later.

Thanks for your input

Angel...

There are many many posts on this site that will give you all kinds of information. My advice is to do the research and get to know the terms for all the Weight Loss or Bariatric surgery language.

If you decide to have any kind of Bariatric surgery knowing the language will help you.

The band is reversible, and it can be removed but it is meant to stay in your body forever. There is no alteration with the band to your anatomy. It is an added medical device that does not alter your digestive system.

Being stuck is often a reference to food that is unable to pass through the stoma that is created by the band. Occasionally through poor eating mechanics or unfriendly food particles will not pass through the stoma into the larger stomach for digestion. This may cause something called a PB or productive burp to bring the food back up, and/or sliming which is a build up of salivary Fluid that will then also bring the food and mucus back up.

This should not be a common occurrence with the band though it happens as we learn to adapt and make changes in our eating habits and eating mechanics such as eating slowly, taking small bites, chewing thoroughly before swallowing etc.

If there is ever a food particle that is unable to be brought back up your doctor would be able to then remove some filling of saline from the band to open the stoma and allow the food to pass.

If you are having issues you can remove Fluid or add it as needed.

I hope this answers some of your questions and that you continue to research what might be best for you in the long run. Best of luck to you!

If you choose this procedure, you get to know your band fairly quickly. I'm 6 months out and can now look at a food and know if I can eat it - even if I ate it the day before and it was fine...new day, sometimes things change. Now that I know how to eat properly, as well as when and where I can eat I don't have many stuck episodes. Again, it's about getting to know your band and how it functions best in your body.

I'm almost at goal, in a pretty short amount of time. I will surpass my goal by 5lbs. and then get a slight unfill until I can find my happy place for maintenance throughout my banded life. It took 3 fills to get me to the right level: staying full for 4 hours by eating 1/2 - 1 cup of food, losing weight, no adverse affects. I've been in the green since August, losing an average of about 12lbs. a month since then.

Edited by PrettyThick1

PrettyThick1....Why stop there? I only say that because for me, I had set goals along the way, met them and kept on loosing....

I spoke with my Dr. about what will happen when I met my goal...do I get a unfill?

The answer for me was No...Who's goal? Mine or my body's?

This is a new lifestyle....new eating, new activity level with plenty of exercise, everything is new, and I never want to go backwards...

And as long as I am living this new lifestyle, my body continued to loose weight, and then settle at a place that was "Normal" for me...it is at a place I never imagined it could ever be...but it is where it should be....

That was 2 years ago....when I stopped loosing....have not gained or lost weight since then...I am convinced if I should get a un-fill, I would start to gain weight back.....why would I want to do that...just so I can eat the old way again?

I am living the new lifestyle that leads to a healthy body and mind....... not the old style that was destructive and lead to obesity and numerous health problems.....

I don't rely on the scale that much anymore...rather I have access to a place where I can get a "Body Analysis" for a small fee...one of the many things it tells me is my "Body Fat %"....and it reached a very healthy level....right where I am supposed to be..a little better than normal actually, is now in the "Athletic" range......it found that place all on it's own, eventually, just because of the new lifestyle I am living...and here is where I want to stay.

cons of not having WLS........get bigger to where they would cut me out my housei was well on my way......and dying earlier then i needed too

pros of having WLS......better health, mobility, wearing size 14 jeans today (19 months ago they were stretch size 30).......and LIVING....

up to the person who has any WLS

to use it as the dr advises for best results....no one WLS is better than

the other no matter what anyone says......you will hear this is better or this is that

the majority of the rumors on the band is BS (people can write anything and people believe it).......and on any surgery, not just WLS....complications can happen and it is told to the patients so its not a surprise....but why spend the rest of my life going what if that because if i did that, i would be where i was before surgery......super morbid obese..

instead i took that chance, found my want power, woman'd up as my ole man and did what i HAD to do to make myself well with help of the lap band and plication....

whatever you get........WLS, do the best you can with it.......

and see what happens.......

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

a better quality of life for me with the band. I have more energy and with lighter weight better motivation to do things with others. Haven't found a "con" so far. All things have been tweaked by me for the band. I let the band dictate to me

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

con of any WLS you will feel cold even in the summer I was cold. This winter in the NW I am layered with silk long johns, thermal long johns, jeans, tee shirt, shirt, sweater, fleece coat and 2 pairs of socks on my feet. Then I have to go outside and get colder. $280 light bill last month and wish my blue cross paid for that. Other than that I love this darn thing. Almost to my first bandaversary and 85 to 90 pounds given away. I did not lose the weight, I gave it away so I don't have to go looking for it and get it back. I can eat anything if I cut it small and chew like a beaver. I have had a couple of uncomfortable stuck incidents and they were my fault. Both times it was from overcooked dry meat that I did not cut small enough or chew long enough. The last one lasted over 2 hours and I could not throw up all I did was slime. Luckily I was at home alone.