Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery on Sat and really nervous

Hello!

So my surgery is on Saturday morning and the nerves are really starting to kick in. I keep thinking over and over is this the right thing? I know this will be the best investment I can make in myself but I am nervous about the pain, what to do afterwards, how to look after the band. I also keep thinking what if u don't lose any weight....aargh!

It's like falling off a cliff and letting go. I know whats waiting at the bottom will be great but I don't want to let go.

Did anyone else have major nerves? I know the pros outweigh all the cons. I can't lose this weight on my own and keep it off. I've tried and failed too much. I just need to shake off the nerves. :*(

You will be fine! I was so surprised that I was not nervous at all before my surgery. I think that I had just been to a nutrition class within two weeks prior and read again through my notebook from the Bariatric Center really helped me. We are all here for you, feel free to ask any questions and someone will answer. The hospital was very good about coming in and asking me my pain level and giving me meds if needed. Good luck, I'm here for you! Let us know you are ok after surgery.

I was just sleeved on 12/23. I did not have to have a band or drains. I was sent hope with adequate pain control, which I only needed for a couple of days. The steri strips fell off on their own on Tuesday, and today I am not wearing any bandages at all - just loose clothing so that the incisions can get some air as they heal. The hardest part of all of this for me was not the anticipation of the surgery, but the scheduling of fluids, Proteins, and what can I eat this week?

yes, Desert Pixie...stand on the edge of the cliff and fly. We will see you on the other side of the losers bench.

Hi, I was banded on 12/19/13 and you sound just like I did! It will be fine, I promise! I was a nervous wreck , then had several bad experiences, trouble getting I've going, woke up after surgery thinking I was having a heart attack, it was gas ! Then real bad reaction to the anesthetic , nauseated for days and puking! I cried to my husband what in the hell did I do to myself!, Lol, I was one in 10,000 to have this many problems I think! All in all you just have to remember as Jesus said "And this to shall pass". Lol today I'm fine, down 19 #', still adjusting to the band life , learning how to eat all over again, what I can and can't eat, remembering to take little bites, chew chew chew and drink that Water, I was never a water drinker, but boy howdy I am now it makes all the difference!

You can do it, it will be worth it! Just keep thinking about all the good that will come out of a few days of not so much fun! Stock up,on Gas-X strips and a heating pad will help too! Remember also laying on your left side helps a whole lot too really gets rid of the gas! Think positive you can do this!

I got my band on the 18th. It took me about a week to get over the gas pains but I had very little incision pain. After two week I feel pretty normal except that I can't eat very much. And that makes me happy!

I was banded in Oct 2009. I remember being very nervous. I was, also, worried that I would fail my band and that was after 6 months of visiting the doctor for weigh ins etc.! i was glad that my hubby was there. Until I went into the per-op room, I think that I prayed and held his hand! I, also, get sick from the anesthesiology so I had to make sure that they were aware of that, too! Yes, I was afraid, it is normal. But, you should be fine. Try to stay calm, and follow your surgeon's orders, sip, sip sip, and walk,walk,walk. That is the best advice I can give. You got this and you have frineds here to support you besies your real life friends and family! Happy New year and new you, to come! Karen...aka..kll724

I have to disagree with the analogy of falling off a cliff. It's more like a roller coaster with several spots where you just cruise along a plateau for what seems long periods of time. Except, during and at the end of the roller coaster ride, you find new things about yourself you never knew. Good things.

And the rewards along the way are more exciting than any Chinese buffet I've ever been to(gawd I loved Chinese buffets). The pain is like having a badly sprained ankle.But the memory goes away quickly as the thrill of wearing new non fat clothes overwhelms those memories.

tmf

I got banded in 2012, drove my car the next day, took a couple days off work, used a heating pad for gas for 24 hours and have been fine with the band. About the only negative thing is the doctor is 1 hour away from where I live and I have to schedule work time off to see him for a possible fill. He is real stingy with fills and wants his patients to learn how to adapt to the band and use it properly. I haven't received many fills since surgery. So I have bouts with no weight loss. All I do is retweak my eating back to liquids for a day or two, then the weight starts dropping again.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

All your posts are simply amazing. Thank you for taking the time to reassure me.

The nerves are natural I'll just be glad to get this bit done and off on the road to recovery and weight loss..

I'm going to pack my bag now, not sure what to take but pretty sure most of tomorrow will be spent sleeping it off.

Can I ask how you all find it taking Vitamins and pills now? Or do you have to have soluble ones as the pills get stuck?

Thank you again

DP x

Small pill, OK. Large pills that don't disintegrate, not so much. I have to break them in half.

Hi there, big day tomorrow -- so happy for you! I was banded 11/5 and it was my first overnight stay in a hospital. I was also nervous and excited -- what you're experiencing is very natural. The whole thing was so much better than I thought it would be. The discomfort wasn't bad for me -- not nearly as bad as a root canal or back out, etc. I recommend walking all you can starting as soon as you wake up. Keep us posted on your progress!

Best wishes, tomorrow! Update us when you are ready! Karen..aka..kll724

Desertpixie hope you are doing good! Keep,us updated! As for taking pills , I take 4 prescriptions they all go down pretty good , I start with the smallest and wait a minute or two between, usually drink a cup of coffee or drink some warm Unjury broth it seems to help melt them down. I changed all my Vitamins to gummies or dissolvable though, just made it easier and less stressful, the idea of so many pills and one getting stuck wasn't a pleasant thought, lol

Take care!

Hello everyone. Am back and my oh my that was quite the experience. I was so scared as they wheeled me in but before I new it I was waking up.

I have 4 small incisions the one which is the most painful has the port under it. My stomach is very swollen at the moment.

I hadn't heard prepared for the gas pain though. Havr been given some tablets for it and am using a hot water bottle on the sore gassy areas. Am really hoping it doesn't take long to shift

Am sipping lots of Water and drinking broth. I was told in a couple of days I can move onto yoghurt, juice and milk with the Clear Liquids too.

Am so tired and struggling to find a comfy spot to sleep. Thanks for all your support its meant a lot x

Glad to hear that all went well. Every day you will feel a little better, walking will help to relieve the gas too. Get some rest, your body has been through a lot.